Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So this St George fella 08:32 - Apr 23 with 3637 viewsbluelagos

Given that he is from Turkey, had a Palestinian mum and never set foot in England, how did he come to be our national saint?

And a happy St George's day to all those posters who celebrate it.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

So this St George fella on 13:09 - Apr 23 with 580 viewsKeno

So this St George fella on 12:38 - Apr 23 by bluelagos

As an aside - did you know St Patrick is the patron saint of Nigeria too?

I think hes my long lost uncle, who recently inherited several £million as the result of a bank error over a government contract and needs my bank details to get the funds released

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

So this St George fella on 15:36 - Apr 23 with 525 viewsGeoffSentence

Hopefully St George will be back before the season ends.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

So this St George fella on 15:41 - Apr 23 with 515 viewsPhilTWTD

So this St George fella on 12:42 - Apr 23 by leitrimblue

Not for me to say Ken .
Though I do think we could embrace that competitive spirit.
We could turn these days into saints days competitive drinking celebrations.
Like a Cheltenham Gold Cup for ritualised binge drinking

Isn't St Patrick quite an important historical figure, as well as religious, due to his writing? One of the few sources on Ireland during his time period, I seem to recall. Also the patron saint of ophidiophobics.
So this St George fella on 16:09 - Apr 23 with 481 viewsleitrimblue

So this St George fella on 15:41 - Apr 23 by PhilTWTD

Isn't St Patrick quite an important historical figure, as well as religious, due to his writing? One of the few sources on Ireland during his time period, I seem to recall. Also the patron saint of ophidiophobics.

St Patrick is far from one of my strong points.
But if I remember/understand correctly his importance in Irish history if anything as been heavily exaggerated.
There were earlier ' Christian' saints like Brigid ( St Brigids day is now a holiday here) and Declan.
I would suggest Columba ( who brought Christianity to UK via Sligo) is probably the most important.
I think Patrick's importance is partially down to probably the most powerful clan in medieval Ireland, the O'Neils bigging up is importance due to them claiming they were directly related to him.
It was in their interests to raise his importance over others.
Pity he didn't clear Ireland of the midge rather then the snake
So this St George fella on 16:13 - Apr 23 with 470 viewsPhilTWTD

So this St George fella on 16:09 - Apr 23 by leitrimblue

St Patrick is far from one of my strong points.
But if I remember/understand correctly his importance in Irish history if anything as been heavily exaggerated.
There were earlier ' Christian' saints like Brigid ( St Brigids day is now a holiday here) and Declan.
I would suggest Columba ( who brought Christianity to UK via Sligo) is probably the most important.
I think Patrick's importance is partially down to probably the most powerful clan in medieval Ireland, the O'Neils bigging up is importance due to them claiming they were directly related to him.
It was in their interests to raise his importance over others.
Pity he didn't clear Ireland of the midge rather then the snake

Just looked him up and I think the 'uniqueness' of his account of his life from a historical perspective is that few if any other people taken into slavery at that time left accounts of their lives. I seem to remember reading something about him some years ago.
So this St George fella on 16:28 - Apr 23 with 445 viewsBigalhunter

So this St George fella on 13:09 - Apr 23 by Keno

I think hes my long lost uncle, who recently inherited several £million as the result of a bank error over a government contract and needs my bank details to get the funds released

Blimey, we’re related!
I’m still waiting for my share, just had to submit a few more details….Nigerian bureaucracy eh?
So this St George fella on 16:32 - Apr 23 with 430 viewssolemio

So this St George fella on 15:41 - Apr 23 by PhilTWTD

Thank you, young Philip. I now know what ophidiophobia is. I'm sure that knowledge will come in very handy in the future.
So this St George fella on 16:34 - Apr 23 with 434 viewsleitrimblue

So this St George fella on 16:13 - Apr 23 by PhilTWTD

Just looked him up and I think the 'uniqueness' of his account of his life from a historical perspective is that few if any other people taken into slavery at that time left accounts of their lives. I seem to remember reading something about him some years ago.

Would undoubtedly be an interesting read.

The small townland/parish my daughter goes to school in, Drumlease. Is one of the places Patrick is supposed to have founded a church in and I was asked by the school the other year if I could have a quick look into it.

It turned out that an old deserted protestant cemetery at the end of the village was built on top of where it looked like Patrick in theory founded his early Christian church.

The Columba story is just as interesting read and obviously not as well known.
The reason Columba as to leave Ireland an set up a Christian outpost on Iona ( bringing Christianity to the UK) is down to a large battle near sligo ( involving all kinds of mythical powers) that causes the death of many men.

This large battle is down to the unauthorised copying of a religious text and his refusal to hand it back to the person/monastery that it was copied from.

Is a real insight into the importance of ownership of these early religious manuscripts
Login to get fewer ads

So this St George fella on 16:59 - Apr 23 with 391 viewsKeno

So this St George fella on 16:34 - Apr 23 by leitrimblue

The small townland/parish my daughter goes to school in, Drumlease. Is one of the places Patrick is supposed to have founded a church in and I was asked by the school the other year if I could have a quick look into it.

It turned out that an old deserted protestant cemetery at the end of the village was built on top of where it looked like Patrick in theory founded his early Christian church.

The reason Columba as to leave Ireland an set up a Christian outpost on Iona ( bringing Christianity to the UK) is down to a large battle near sligo ( involving all kinds of mythical powers) that causes the death of many men.

This large battle is down to the unauthorised copying of a religious text and his refusal to hand it back to the person/monastery that it was copied from.

Is a real insight into the importance of ownership of these early religious manuscripts

I find the whole era of the Celtic missionaries in the north and ones sent from Rome in the south leading up to the Synod of Whitby really interesting

you wonder how Britain would have turned out if that have gone the other way

see also Council of Nicaea 300 or so years earlier

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

So this St George fella on 17:21 - Apr 23 with 378 viewsleitrimblue

So this St George fella on 16:59 - Apr 23 by Keno

I find the whole era of the Celtic missionaries in the north and ones sent from Rome in the south leading up to the Synod of Whitby really interesting

you wonder how Britain would have turned out if that have gone the other way

see also Council of Nicaea 300 or so years earlier

Early Christianity in Ireland and the UK is an interesting subject. Its almost alien to how we would recognise Christianity now.
The switch/conversion from pagan to Christianity is also not as clear or straightforward as you imagine. There seems to be a long transition period possibly lasting a couple of hundred years.
I have seen a pagan prehistoric barrow in Co Sligo that was part of a site that had probably been in use for a thousand plus years. Where the burials outside go from pagan to Christian, back to pagan and then finally Christian. Christians bring buried around a pagan monument is strange enough but the community or members of this community changing from one to the other and back again over such a long period of time isn't something that's well documented
So this St George fella on 18:07 - Apr 23 with 360 viewsPhilTWTD

So this St George fella on 16:34 - Apr 23 by leitrimblue

I have to say I know little of Columba. Will have a read up at some point.
So this St George fella on 18:14 - Apr 23 with 349 viewsSwansea_Blue

So this St George fella on 16:32 - Apr 23 by solemio

Thank you, young Philip. I now know what ophidiophobia is. I'm sure that knowledge will come in very handy in the future.

I’m wondering if Phil’s account has been hacked now he’s started using these long words. Something doesn’t adder up.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So this St George fella on 18:24 - Apr 23 with 333 viewsBluespeed225

Surely he fits right in with the current narrative? Turkish barbers, they can join in, this Saturdays parade for peace or hate( delete as applicable), will embrace his roots, should make a nice flag, and he’s an off shore Saint for tax reasons.
So this St George fella on 02:19 - Apr 25 with 218 viewsWeWereZombies

So this St George fella on 18:14 - Apr 23 by Swansea_Blue

I’m wondering if Phil’s account has been hacked now he’s started using these long words. Something doesn’t adder up.

Oh, I don't know, there has often been something Pythonesque about the humour on TWTD....

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024