Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium 18:22 - May 13 with 3588 viewsGuthrum

Do they really think they could fill it on a regular basis? That's larger than the population of the entire town.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Fair enough on 22:31 - May 13 with 520 viewsCoastalblue

Fair enough on 22:18 - May 13 by Swansea_Blue

How do you see it then? I'm always a bit confused by the negative responses they attract, as here in Wales there's a lot of love. The owners seem to be doing the right thing and have embraced the area, culture, lots of community initiatives, etc. They're putting money into developing the ground to give them the platform to compete at the highest level if they ever get there. They've taken them from near insolvency in non-league to L1 in 3 years, so I'm not sure what else a good owner could do.

There's very little difference between them and us imo. If anything, there's an argument that they're more invested than us, as with them Reynolds and McElhenney are fronting their own investment whereas we have a a management group fronting a pension fund and an equity fund. Nothing wrong with what we are doing of course, as they're just different models, but I don't see how we have any moral high ground over them though.

Agree with that, as somebody who spends a lot of time in Wales, often with the aforementioned American visitors (though not Wrexham) it appears as though they have done a lot and invested a lot into the community. There appears to be a genuine will to be a positive force with a positive impact as opposed to just a vanity project.

I wish them no ill and am intrigued to see how far they can take this. If they one day sneak into the last CL plave behind us then I won't begrudge them that at all.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 08:32 - May 14 with 395 viewsitfctilidie

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 19:56 - May 13 by MattinLondon

It’s ambitious but surly it’ll take time to build up that level of support to make such a stadium not look like a white elephant. It’ll take a few generations before families who’ve historically supported Liverpool or either Manchester clubs (or even football itself over rugby) become Wrexham supporters.

A bit like MK, being on a large catchment area doesn’t necessarily equate to instant support for them over fans previous clubs. Not a case of ‘build it and they will come’ but common sense over folly. L1 is going to be a lot harder than L2, competing against teams far better than what Wrexham have recently completed against.

The whole MK thing as we are all aware is a joke. English football fans are not like American Sports fans. When franchises move from state to state, some people will change teams and support the new team moved in - Soccer fans in general are not that fickle, and it is in fact frowned upon - you support one team and one team only - more loyal than any relationship/marriage
Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 08:34 - May 14 with 392 viewsHelp

It's not just the football is it. The stadium will be for other events and income generation. Look at the new bernabeu. Smaller teams have got to think big to be big.
Fair enough on 08:40 - May 14 with 385 viewsDyland

Fair enough on 22:18 - May 13 by Swansea_Blue

How do you see it then? I'm always a bit confused by the negative responses they attract, as here in Wales there's a lot of love. The owners seem to be doing the right thing and have embraced the area, culture, lots of community initiatives, etc. They're putting money into developing the ground to give them the platform to compete at the highest level if they ever get there. They've taken them from near insolvency in non-league to L1 in 3 years, so I'm not sure what else a good owner could do.

There's very little difference between them and us imo. If anything, there's an argument that they're more invested than us, as with them Reynolds and McElhenney are fronting their own investment whereas we have a a management group fronting a pension fund and an equity fund. Nothing wrong with what we are doing of course, as they're just different models, but I don't see how we have any moral high ground over them though.

"Ridiulous owners" was unfair.

I'm only responding to the 55k seater stadium plan, which as I imply is premature and potentially a white elephant. As I say, I don't know much about it (e.g. demographics) and am quite happy to be completely wrong whereby with a fair wind they can be the dominant football power for miles around in a few years.

No hate for Wrexham at all Swanners, and I totally agree with the comparative similiarites and difference between their and our owners.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 09:27 - May 14 with 344 viewsMattinLondon

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 08:32 - May 14 by itfctilidie

The whole MK thing as we are all aware is a joke. English football fans are not like American Sports fans. When franchises move from state to state, some people will change teams and support the new team moved in - Soccer fans in general are not that fickle, and it is in fact frowned upon - you support one team and one team only - more loyal than any relationship/marriage

Personally I think that ship has sailed. I doubt whether the FA will allow such a situation to happen again. I do think that in fifteen years time when they become much more part of that area (rather than simply imposed upon) they will average around 15-18k if in the championship. As mentioned, it takes time for a fan base to develop.
Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 10:29 - May 14 with 310 viewsitfcjoe

I think they'll struggle to get out of L1, because they won't be able to afford the approach they've taken in previous 2 divisions (i.e. buy up talent from leagues above and pay them healthily) and they don't play a particularly good style of football, one that isn't just hope big players get you out of a hole.

And when they do get to the Champ, then they'll prob be looking for big external investment or to sell the club, because getting out of that league is so hard unless you are Kieran McKenna

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 10:40 - May 14 with 294 viewsitfcjoe

Wrexham plans to build a 55k-seater stadium on 19:50 - May 13 by Swansea_Blue

It’s very interesting. They get a lot of hate (jealousy?), but they’re going about it the right way. They’re leaning heavily on local expertise and despite the TV series and social media activity from the owners, proper football people are running the club and providing advice. It shows, as they’ve been making excellent decisions, trusting the manager and players and it’s all paying off. They’re also genuinely invested in the community. They’re a bit like us, but prefer to shout about it and use their owners as figureheads for promotion. And why not? They’re just playing to their strengths.

Also their 'shouting about it' is also how they get the extra revenue into the club - it's a model takeover in reality but they are getting towards where a natural ceiling will be without big investment and having to go up against much bigger sides now

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024