Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McKenna appreciation thread #1 - you know, just to mix it up a bit… 22:02 - May 23 with 2070 viewsunstableblue

We’re at McKenna leaving Armageddon (with smatterings of negativity towards McKenna) post number 3,456… let’s change the mood music

IF Keiran goes, I’ll be gutted and concerned for the season ahead.

But I’ll also recognise the hugely positive impact he’s had on our club and that riding on his talented coat tales we’ve moved from League One obscurity to the wealthy wunderland of the Premier League, and enjoyed two of the most exciting seasons in decades.

We all know how good he is, we all know the trajectory he’s on, good luck to him. And I’ll follow his career with great interest. And in some ways support the team he joins.

Chelsea and Man U may get their other targets, Brighton may move for another target, and McKennas desire to leave may be being overhyped. And indeed when the facts of an offer and new role are fully understood he may feel he wants to stay with us.

But come on the guy is already an Ipswich legend, celebrate what we’ve had, and recognise that change is what football support is all about.

COYFB
[Post edited 23 May 22:04]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

McKenna appreciation thread #1 - you know, just to mix it up a bit… on 11:30 - May 24 with 438 viewsBattersea_Blue

McKenna appreciation thread #1 - you know, just to mix it up a bit… on 08:29 - May 24 by Churchman

I have to take odds with ‘as Town fans we need to be a bit humble and a bit realistic’. Do you mean humble in terms of yes zur no zur may oi doff my cap in thanks for the chicken bone you’ve chucked me? Humble? I don’t think so.

People should always show respect to others, whoever they are. On the face of it MU are showing zero respect to their current manager and that would make me run a mile from that job at this time alone. They appear appalling people (from afar and a subjective view). But that’s just the way I am.

This football club deserves respect. So do its supporters whatever their views, including those on here. All of them bar the odd troll.

Yes, it is a provincial club. Not in the category of the big six plus Newcastle and certain others but it is significant with unknown potential.

Our structure and squad is not ‘low championship level’. You don’t finish on 96 points if it is, unless you believe it was luck or a magic wand.

The fact that the facilities need upgrading and so much needs to be done is one of the attractions of the job, surely. How many people get the opportunity to input into something like this? For CV and ‘legacy’ (god I hate that word) it’s the opportunity if a lifetime.

I chose the word input carefully. McKenna transformed the playing style and the players. He generated an extraordinary team spirit and a level of commitment beyond belief. Getting the team out of L1 wasn’t a great achievement. With the budget and squad (partly collected by Cook) we should have got out of it. The way we did it was pretty special though.

Getting out of the Championship most certainly was a fantastic achievement. It was astonishing both in results and method. It wasn’t luck. It was brilliant.

However, i think it unfair not to give credit to the people that provided the environment, standards and great support to make this happen. The owners, the key man Ashton, O’Leary and the management structure. They set the tone for work ethic, commitment, organisation and resources, not McKenna. He was provided with the tools to do the job. And he did it magnificently.

Personally, I believe he stood/stands to gain more by staying than leaving in respect of his future career (see Simon Jordan interview). But it’s his career, his choice, just like everyone else. I just want it settled quickly or it will do lasting harm to this club materially and in reputation.

Just a view.

Great post Churchman. So refreshing to see a sensible thread with sensible comment amongst the melee of garbage currently on this board.

I totally agree that Kieran stands to gain more by staying. At 38 he has years ahead of him and I'm sure he's looked at the track records of particularly Man U and Chelsea as to how many managers they've gone through in the last 10 years.

If he gives us two or three seasons, gets us established with possibly a top 10 finish he'll be able to walk away to a "big" club with his head held high and be rightly proud of his overall achievement with ITFC. I would wish him the very best of luck.
McKenna appreciation thread #1 - you know, just to mix it up a bit… on 11:32 - May 24 with 436 viewsN2_Blue

McKenna appreciation thread #1 - you know, just to mix it up a bit… on 10:31 - May 24 by unstableblue

By squad valuation and wages I believe we were 16th in the Championship. But don't quote me. It was around there.

Certainly if you compare to Norwich, WBA, Boro, Coventry, Watford, Sunderland and of course the parachutes, our squad was much lower.

Ok thanks for clarifying. I assumed you were looking at it from a percieved ability perspective.

Even in terms of wages i'm surprised we were as low as 16th. Thought we'd be middling.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

This is where I'm at too on 11:40 - May 24 with 412 viewsDyland

McKenna appreciation thread #1 - you know, just to mix it up a bit… on 22:55 - May 23 by N2_Blue

I can't agree with 'legend' if he leaves us after only two full seasons, as good as they were.
He owes us nothing and I’d be grateful for all he’s done. But he kills ‘legendary’ status if he leaves us without a ball being kicked in the PL.

Sorry but if definitely tarnishes it. It’s a brilliant two seasons and will never forget what he did but a legend doesn’t walk away without even giving us a chance.

I'm still convinced he'll stay though.

Though I'm not sure McK leaving tarnishes his achievement here for me. But yes, it diminishes the appreciation for sure because he truly has a chance to be a Town legend. Hey ho, no disrepect whatever he decides to do in the end, it's more an indictment (yet again) on modern football and as Kingers said the other day, depressing thaty a medium sized club can't really have proper success nowadays. That is the way it is though, and I'd be a hypocrite for calling out Nerdy all the time if I didn't accept it.

One thing I'll get pelters for possibly... if McK did leave before the season begins I won't be rooting for him one birt. Indeed, if he goes to Brightona and say by a twist of fate De Zerbi ended up here, I'd find it incredibly satisfying if we relegated the Seagulls at PR pn the final day. Childish? Aye. Pathetic? Nah not really.

This last week has cemented my resolve to not bother after the coming season, and go and watch non league instead. An amazing two years and so weirdly ambivalent about wanting and not wanting the prize all at once.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

This is where I'm at too on 11:53 - May 24 with 395 viewsLeaky

This is where I'm at too on 11:40 - May 24 by Dyland

Though I'm not sure McK leaving tarnishes his achievement here for me. But yes, it diminishes the appreciation for sure because he truly has a chance to be a Town legend. Hey ho, no disrepect whatever he decides to do in the end, it's more an indictment (yet again) on modern football and as Kingers said the other day, depressing thaty a medium sized club can't really have proper success nowadays. That is the way it is though, and I'd be a hypocrite for calling out Nerdy all the time if I didn't accept it.

One thing I'll get pelters for possibly... if McK did leave before the season begins I won't be rooting for him one birt. Indeed, if he goes to Brightona and say by a twist of fate De Zerbi ended up here, I'd find it incredibly satisfying if we relegated the Seagulls at PR pn the final day. Childish? Aye. Pathetic? Nah not really.

This last week has cemented my resolve to not bother after the coming season, and go and watch non league instead. An amazing two years and so weirdly ambivalent about wanting and not wanting the prize all at once.

Take your point the journey is better than the destination.
McKenna appreciation thread #1 - you know, just to mix it up a bit… on 12:24 - May 24 with 367 viewsVegtablue

McKenna appreciation thread #1 - you know, just to mix it up a bit… on 11:32 - May 24 by N2_Blue

Ok thanks for clarifying. I assumed you were looking at it from a percieved ability perspective.

Even in terms of wages i'm surprised we were as low as 16th. Thought we'd be middling.

We were surely much higher than 16th. I've mentioned elsewhere, but we paid £4M(!) more in playing wages in our 22/23 L1 season than many of these sites thought we we paid out in 23/24. 50% higher in the division below, clearly they haven't remotely kept pace with our change of ownership. I'll go out on a limb and guess our wage bill was actually 9th, before promotion bonuses (7th-10th rather than 11th-14th).

The squad's transfermarkt value is 16th, but that includes valuations of €4.5M for Omari and €6M for Leif. Figures are suppressed on account of time spent in the Championship, and mostly at the mercy of the generic transfermarkt formula rather than tailored valuations. There's a balance to be struck between recognising the scale of McKenna's accomplishments (he's done wonders), the talent in the squad (deserve more credit), and the resources provided last season (very competitive with those we could be).
16th in wages - here's the link... on 12:32 - May 24 with 357 viewsunstableblue

McKenna appreciation thread #1 - you know, just to mix it up a bit… on 12:24 - May 24 by Vegtablue

We were surely much higher than 16th. I've mentioned elsewhere, but we paid £4M(!) more in playing wages in our 22/23 L1 season than many of these sites thought we we paid out in 23/24. 50% higher in the division below, clearly they haven't remotely kept pace with our change of ownership. I'll go out on a limb and guess our wage bill was actually 9th, before promotion bonuses (7th-10th rather than 11th-14th).

The squad's transfermarkt value is 16th, but that includes valuations of €4.5M for Omari and €6M for Leif. Figures are suppressed on account of time spent in the Championship, and mostly at the mercy of the generic transfermarkt formula rather than tailored valuations. There's a balance to be struck between recognising the scale of McKenna's accomplishments (he's done wonders), the talent in the squad (deserve more credit), and the resources provided last season (very competitive with those we could be).

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/championship-wage-bills-2023-24-leeds

Not sure how accurate. But makes sense to me, the likes of Hull and Brum will have higher wages let alone the top 8.

Hell Sheff Weds had a higher wage bill.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

McKenna appreciation thread #1 - you know, just to mix it up a bit… on 12:38 - May 24 with 337 viewsbackwaywhen

Absolutely the guy is a genuine football genius, I said on here 3 months into his stroll that he has all the attributes of Sir Bobby and I stand by that , he will go onto greatness in the game .
In McKenna we trust or trusted if you know what I mean .
16th in wages - here's the link... on 12:56 - May 24 with 319 viewsVegtablue

16th in wages - here's the link... on 12:32 - May 24 by unstableblue

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/championship-wage-bills-2023-24-leeds

Not sure how accurate. But makes sense to me, the likes of Hull and Brum will have higher wages let alone the top 8.

Hell Sheff Weds had a higher wage bill.

Miles out mate. Our overall wage bill was £5M higher than Sheff Weds in 22/23. No way have they overtaken us this season, after shopping in bargain basement land over the past two transfer windows.

We paid £12.7M in playing wages in 22/23, as factually recorded in our annual accounts. There is then Championship wage uplifts, new signings and PL loans to consider. We will not be remotely close to £11.4M.

They have Cardiff's wage bill at £19.4M. We know they reduced playing wages down from £20M in 21/22 to £14M in 22/23, and were continuing to implement greater cost control this season. There is no way they've ballooned back to that kind of figure. There's simply no way parachute-less West Brom are within £1M of parachute-full Norwich, given the wage gap that existed in 22/23.

I won't continue as I'm repeating myself, but these salary tables are guff. There's a reason why the Athletic and others stay clear of posting their "data".
[Post edited 24 May 13:01]
Login to get fewer ads

McKenna appreciation thread #1 - you know, just to mix it up a bit… on 13:35 - May 24 with 282 viewsChurchman

McKenna appreciation thread #1 - you know, just to mix it up a bit… on 10:12 - May 24 by unstableblue

You're so right about Man U having real risk of not working.

The culture is a mess. I have real reservations about Ratcliffe, he made a brilliant business decision to buy and sweat the legacy BP assets, but his Brexit position and more recent dealings look suspect.

The state of the Old Trafford stadium as compared to Man City, Spurs and Arsenal says it all.

But I suppose its at a low ebb, and there is a major project starting so perhaps an attraction.

I’ve no doubt there is a major project happening at Man U, but given the way that club appears to operate and the sheer scale of it, I don’t see McKenna fitting into it in the way he does here. The way they go about things seems all wrong to me. As for Chelsea, dear oh dear. That’s got don’t touch written all over it after the way they’ve treated Pochettino and others. Pure guesswork on my part.

In terms of this club and the football pyramid, I always thought we were better than bottom half Championship. There was more to it than Ben Bloom’s assertion that our great start was due to momentum too, in my view. On wages you are right, but there is a lot more to it than that.

Where are we now? Bottom end PL, obviously. I hate this bullsh*t bingo phrase, but the key point is our direction of travel is upwards. Rapidly. The growing, building of the club was more important than anything to me. From that comes success. No manager can operate without good foundations and structure.

Ok, our progress on the field has left progress off it behind. That’s ok because everybody knows what we are trying to do. That’s the strength and the opportunity.

Bottom PL now, who knows in 12 months time. I felt before this mess that we had a better chance than people gave us credit for. Not least because of the little old Ipswich tag. Ashton mentioned how we were once an easy touch (Webster deal). Maybe that reputation still holds?

In many ways, next season was a free hit for McKenna. Hard, stressful, difficult, but I agree with Jordan - he should have backed himself. There was no risk to his reputation and huge reward, potentially. The least he could have gained was a years experience managing in the PL. Being the boss is totally different to being an assistant in any walk of life, especially so in football. So previous experience at MU wouldn’t count for much.

But ultimately when alls said and done, do you turn down the chance of one of the world’s biggest clubs? No.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024