Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this where we’re at? 09:45 - May 24 with 1309 viewstractorshark

My take on it all. Does this vaguely make sense?

McKenna wants Man Utd but Man Utd are unlikely to give him the job this summer and the United fans are not particularly keen on him being appointed either. In a year or two, yes. But right now it’s a big gamble on a guy who’s still got baggage from a previous regime. Clearly if United offer the job, he’s gone. But I just don’t see that happening unless bigger candidates turn them down. They may even keep Ten Hag for another year if he wins tomorrow but I don’t think that will happen either.

McKenna would entertain Chelsea but is perhaps wary of the club culture with managers and a possible FFP points deduction and potential transfer embargo. If Poch couldn’t get what he wants from the board, what sway will McKenna hold? The Chelsea fans aren’t particularly keen on him either when there are bigger names in the frame. McKenna is a project manager like Potter, there are big egos at Chelsea and he would be going to the one club that never gives you time.

Which leaves Brighton or us. Brighton have shifted focus slightly now Chelsea have come in and they could get Potter back. I’m sure they’d prefer McKenna but they can’t wait for ever. The ceiling between both clubs is probably the same but Brighton’s stature is currently greater and offers more security right now. That said if he’s not a success at Brighton it would reduce his stock far more than getting relegated with Ipswich.

Ipswich can match Brighton’s offer knowing that any new 4-year contract would never be fulfilled. If you pay McKenna handsomely for next season, it’s money well spent if we stay up. If we go down, his reputation is unlikely to be tarnished and he’d want out. Either way, he could leave after another year with our blessing and an accommodating exit clause.

For me, and obviously I’m biased, it makes sense to stay for a further year. It’s a free hit and still a stepping stone to the likes of Brighton and Forest etc. And if we exceed expectations then it’s a pathway to a United if that’s not on offer right now. But I suppose the counter argument is has he done all he can at Ipswich? That’s up to Ashton and the owners to convince him there’s a lot more to come.

I’d understand it if he went to United, I’d think he would be barmy to go to Chelsea for anything other than financial reasons and I’d be disappointed if he went to Brighton.

But if you’d said to me when we were languishing in League One, that we’d get a guy in who would achieve back to back promotions to the Prem but would leave after two and a half years, I would have bitten your hand off.

[Post edited 24 May 9:47]
Is this where we’re at? on 09:51 - May 24 with 1235 viewsloyalfan

Makes a lot of sense. I feel it is between Brighton and Town and hope to goodness our man chooses the former.
Is this where we’re at? on 09:55 - May 24 with 1201 viewsHerbivore

That's a very sensible and balanced post, a rarity in recent days.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is this where we’re at? on 10:05 - May 24 with 1139 viewsWeekender

McKenna may want Utd but we don't know either way. On the plus side is a new regime, the downside is the size of the rebuilt that's needed. The latter feels like a reason Utd may go for experience (Tuchel or Poch). They need their demolition man

Chelsea is perceived as a big risk for reason that have been discussed numerous times but in a way its a free hit. No one expects any manager to last more than 5 minutes there so if you are sacked you have met expectations and therefore there's no real damage to your reputation. Plus you'll have made a fortune.

Lots of talk about Brighton being a sideways move but success there is maintaining the status quo. No massive progress needed. Do that and concerns about lack of top flight experience are gone. Like you say if you fail at that then you've taken a step back.

Town are a free hit in many ways, no none expects us (or any promoted side) to stay up. But its a massive task and offers at top 10 prem clubs are had to come by.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Is this where we’re at? on 10:08 - May 24 with 1095 viewstractorboy1978

Excellent post. That is pretty much my take on it too.
Is this where we’re at? on 10:11 - May 24 with 1049 viewsGuthrum

That all makes sense, but I think there's a slightly different emphasis at play.

Brighton wanted McKenna very much. He fits into their system and style. Would have come up extremely well under statistical analysis. However, their move has stirred bigger beasts and ITFC are prepared to resist.

Chelsea are interested, because he's highly regarded. Like their youth policy, they seek to hoover up any talent and throw away what they don't want afterwards.

ManU have some interest, due to his abilities and the previous connection. Among a number of potential candidates being looked at, but maybe one for the future. Perhaps just making a link to be followed up a year or few down the line.

McKenna is listening to all the offers and comparing them with what he has at Ipswich. His agent is pushing things, because half-heartedness isn't going to generate proper offers. There is a battle to steer the narrative in the media, partly fuelled by the idea that promoted teams are predestined to struggle and fail, so staying at Town is inevitably going to damage his prospects (despite evidence to the contrary both in statistics of teams entering the Prem - 50% stay up - and things like Bayern's interest in Kompany).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is this where we’re at? on 10:12 - May 24 with 1039 viewsCarlosValderrama

Is this where we’re at? on 09:51 - May 24 by loyalfan

Makes a lot of sense. I feel it is between Brighton and Town and hope to goodness our man chooses the former.

You want him to choose Brighton? What the F
Is this where we’re at? on 10:13 - May 24 with 1026 viewsTrequartista

It does seem like a 3 club balancing act. The chances McKenna would want to go increase from Brighton to Chelsea to Man Utd, and the chances of him being offered those jobs decrease at an inversely proportional rate.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Is this where we’re at? on 10:14 - May 24 with 1012 viewsipswichtillidie

Pretty much where I sit also. Do think the new owners at United might surprise us though and offer him the job. Dont think they will be swayed by fan opinion but we will see. De Zerbi/Southgate seems a more realistic fit for them.

Gav

Login to get fewer ads

Is this where we’re at? on 10:19 - May 24 with 961 viewsSuffolkSpezial

Is this where we’re at? on 10:14 - May 24 by ipswichtillidie

Pretty much where I sit also. Do think the new owners at United might surprise us though and offer him the job. Dont think they will be swayed by fan opinion but we will see. De Zerbi/Southgate seems a more realistic fit for them.

Finally some sense
Is this where we’re at? on 10:19 - May 24 with 958 viewsbluejacko

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1903066/Man-Utd-news-Erik-ten-Hag-INEOS

Yes I know it’s the express
Is this where we’re at? on 10:22 - May 24 with 890 viewsReusersTown

Stepping stone to Forest???
Is this where we’re at? on 10:37 - May 24 with 730 viewsrickw

For me Pochettino makes sense for Man Utd, they've been keen on him for a while and looked like he'd finally turned Chelsea around before they sacked him.
Potter for Brighton and Maresca for Chelsea - all sorted!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Is this where we’re at? on 10:43 - May 24 with 632 viewstractorshark

Is this where we’re at? on 10:22 - May 24 by ReusersTown

Stepping stone to Forest???

Yes, I think if he stays and we’re relegated, then clubs like Forest, Fulham, Palace, Brighton, even Everton would still be available to him. And they would represent a step up if they’re still in the Prem and stable.
Of course it depends on their position at the time, which could rule out Forest with their owner.
[Post edited 24 May 10:44]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024