Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! 10:17 - May 24 with 2527 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

My son was recently invited to attend trials at U10s level for a League 1 side.

We attended and the format was a lot less structured than I expected, and I wondered if its normal. The trial was;

Arrive, and do a 10 min physical warm up.

Next hour spent as a 9 a side match (ready for U11s next season).

Some of the players had attended previous sessions, and some were there for the first time.

The players were split into two teams, but not given positions. I can understand this format being part of the process, allowing some autonomy etc, but it is harder for the new kids, when playing with established players.

The match ended up resembling a play ground match with a bun fight in midfield.

I expected some drills, and maybe some smaller sided games to be part of the process.

I was asked my sons position when filling the forms in. He is a CM, but due to the format of the trial, only got to play around 5 mins as CM, and the rest in defence.

Is this trial format normal? I havent attended a trial before, so dont know what is the norm.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:38 - May 24 with 1944 viewsitfc48

Sounds exactly like the trial I had at Cambridge as a kid. Interestingly that was when Dan Ashworth and Ricky Martin were there which is why I'm surprised they've both done so well in football!
Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:41 - May 24 with 1911 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:38 - May 24 by itfc48

Sounds exactly like the trial I had at Cambridge as a kid. Interestingly that was when Dan Ashworth and Ricky Martin were there which is why I'm surprised they've both done so well in football!

It seemed a really bizarre format.

A mate of mine had a kid at Liverpool academy, and their trials had small sided games etc, and allowed the player to have some decent game time in their favoured position.

It was a pretty negative experience for my son, as he felt he hadnt had the chance to showcase his ability.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:42 - May 24 with 1884 viewsJimmyJazz

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:38 - May 24 by itfc48

Living La Vida Loca

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:42 - May 24 with 1888 viewsWaig

Hiya, my daughter got scouted by Reading and asked to attend trial. We experienced pretty much same as you, small drills and them 7 a side game. What they did was mix a few of their existing u12 girls team amongst the trialists as well. Suppose it’s a way of seeing if someone can get to the required level.
Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:44 - May 24 with 1876 viewsGuthrum

To be invited to the trial, presumably your son would have been watched for some time in his usual team and position. Thus it may be more about meeting him in person and seeing how he copes with an unfamiliar situation than pure technical skill.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:47 - May 24 with 1820 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:44 - May 24 by Guthrum

To be invited to the trial, presumably your son would have been watched for some time in his usual team and position. Thus it may be more about meeting him in person and seeing how he copes with an unfamiliar situation than pure technical skill.

He was just spotted at one match.

Like I say, I can see the use of that exercise, but for that to be used for the whole session as the only way to judge seemed odd.

Also the scout saw the match, not the coaches at the trial.

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:50 - May 24 with 1776 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:42 - May 24 by Waig

Hiya, my daughter got scouted by Reading and asked to attend trial. We experienced pretty much same as you, small drills and them 7 a side game. What they did was mix a few of their existing u12 girls team amongst the trialists as well. Suppose it’s a way of seeing if someone can get to the required level.

Did they put them into positions? Or was it a free for all?

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:50 - May 24 with 1775 viewsJon_456

A long time ago now but I had a similar experience when I was 9-10years old.

It’s not the best structure but regardless of position, I think most of the time the 1% who they’re looking for stand out pretty quickly.
Login to get fewer ads

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:51 - May 24 with 1764 viewsBlueschev

That sounds similar to the experiences of a couple of young players I coach who had trials at Ipswich at that age. I assume the logic is to see which players stand out in an uncoached environment. I also think it's deliberately tough on the first timers to see how they cope in the situation.
Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:55 - May 24 with 1697 viewsDinDjarin

They do not care about positions at that age, just technical ability.
Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:55 - May 24 with 1690 viewsWaig

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:50 - May 24 by Marshalls_Mullet

Did they put them into positions? Or was it a free for all?

Free for all, but once they started they found their positions.
Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:57 - May 24 with 1673 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:51 - May 24 by Blueschev

That sounds similar to the experiences of a couple of young players I coach who had trials at Ipswich at that age. I assume the logic is to see which players stand out in an uncoached environment. I also think it's deliberately tough on the first timers to see how they cope in the situation.

Yeah, it seems a bit outdated.

All this talk about 'emotional intelligence' in football, and the process kind of encourages the kids who are more selfish.

A good learning curve maybe.

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:58 - May 24 with 1670 viewsDinDjarin

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:55 - May 24 by Waig

Free for all, but once they started they found their positions.

Been to quite a few over the years and the format is normally as originally posted.

The better players will shine wherever on the pitch they play and as others has said you can spot the ballers straight away usually.

Doing small sided sessions does not always allow players to show their capabilities. Some boys may be technically great in small sessions but lost in a match when face with stronger opponents, likewise the other way. My lad struggled is small sessions but comes into his own in full size games.
[Post edited 24 May 11:00]
Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:59 - May 24 with 1655 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:55 - May 24 by DinDjarin

They do not care about positions at that age, just technical ability.

I appreciate that, once they know the player. But allowing them some time in their usual position would give them the opportunity to show their ability.

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 11:00 - May 24 with 1632 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:58 - May 24 by DinDjarin

Been to quite a few over the years and the format is normally as originally posted.

The better players will shine wherever on the pitch they play and as others has said you can spot the ballers straight away usually.

Doing small sided sessions does not always allow players to show their capabilities. Some boys may be technically great in small sessions but lost in a match when face with stronger opponents, likewise the other way. My lad struggled is small sessions but comes into his own in full size games.
[Post edited 24 May 11:00]

I dont think thats the case for all players, but at least he will know the format if we go to another trial.

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 11:03 - May 24 with 1608 viewsDinDjarin

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:59 - May 24 by Marshalls_Mullet

I appreciate that, once they know the player. But allowing them some time in their usual position would give them the opportunity to show their ability.

The modern way is to be able to play / understand a variety of positions even at a very young age if you want to get picked up.

I've been involved in managing / coaching for 20 odd years now and at the younger ages they want skill and encourage bravery on the ball but as they get older they favour size and pace and I have seen a lot of very talented boys let go at U15s just because they are not big / strong enough.

Its the modern way sadly.
[Post edited 24 May 11:04]
Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 11:05 - May 24 with 1570 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 11:03 - May 24 by DinDjarin

The modern way is to be able to play / understand a variety of positions even at a very young age if you want to get picked up.

I've been involved in managing / coaching for 20 odd years now and at the younger ages they want skill and encourage bravery on the ball but as they get older they favour size and pace and I have seen a lot of very talented boys let go at U15s just because they are not big / strong enough.

I understand the rationale.

I just don't think that format alone allows for that to be shown.

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 11:06 - May 24 with 1568 viewsitfc48

Given the obsession over certain attributes for outfield players at least, I'm surprised clubs don't do something similar to the NFL combine alongside the game part of trials.
Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 11:09 - May 24 with 1544 viewsGuthrum

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 11:03 - May 24 by DinDjarin

Tyrone Mings a good example of that. From what a friend of his told us, that was why he was released by Southampton and it wasn't until a few years later he put on sufficient height and strength.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 11:10 - May 24 with 1537 viewsDinDjarin

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 11:05 - May 24 by Marshalls_Mullet

I understand the rationale.

I just don't think that format alone allows for that to be shown.

I tend to agree with you just saying what I have witnessed myself.

Ipswich last year had a mass clear out of their academy U15s and brought in big /strong pacy replacements from far and wide. Technically inferior to the players let go in some cases but the attitude is you cant coach players to be tall and pacy.

The reason for that is until that age you are restricted on how far boys are allowed to travel to come to the academy.
Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 11:14 - May 24 with 1501 viewsSuperblue95

A league one team you say?

Should have told him to make sure he takes 2 mins to take any throw in or free kick he gets and when in possession of the ball to kick it as far as he can up the pitch to a tall, strong kid and make sure he aims for a 0-0 finish at all costs.

They’d have snapped him up.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 11:16 - May 24 with 1469 viewsyorkshireblue

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 10:41 - May 24 by Marshalls_Mullet

It seemed a really bizarre format.

A mate of mine had a kid at Liverpool academy, and their trials had small sided games etc, and allowed the player to have some decent game time in their favoured position.

It was a pretty negative experience for my son, as he felt he hadnt had the chance to showcase his ability.

That could explain why Liverpool have one of the best academies in world football, and this other club are in League One.

Either way, kudos to your son. Hopefully the trial hasn't put him off the love of the game.
Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 11:31 - May 24 with 1376 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 11:16 - May 24 by yorkshireblue

That could explain why Liverpool have one of the best academies in world football, and this other club are in League One.

Either way, kudos to your son. Hopefully the trial hasn't put him off the love of the game.

Thanks mate.

I think in all likelihood he's a very good grass roots player, rather than an academy player. I guess I expected the trials to be a bit more sophisticated.

We did officially send this club down on the last game of the season!!

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 11:39 - May 24 with 1341 viewsrickw

A couple of years ago I went to an event Ipswich put on for under 7s, there were about 20-30 teams playing 10 minute 5-a-side matches
Scouts watched each match and towards the end offered the kids who impressed them places, it looked like they were selecting on technique rather than those who had maybe scored more as they were physically bigger or stronger.

That seemed well organised, but relies on kids being in teams and being played in positions that suits them

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 11:41 - May 24 with 1308 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Professsional football club trials.... thoughts?! on 11:39 - May 24 by rickw

A couple of years ago I went to an event Ipswich put on for under 7s, there were about 20-30 teams playing 10 minute 5-a-side matches
Scouts watched each match and towards the end offered the kids who impressed them places, it looked like they were selecting on technique rather than those who had maybe scored more as they were physically bigger or stronger.

That seemed well organised, but relies on kids being in teams and being played in positions that suits them

I think smaller sided matches would help each player get more time on the ball.

I guess 5 a side is the norm for U7s though.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024