Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2 men charged 22:02 - Oct 2 with 2994 viewsLuk38644

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/art

For anyone here playing down the very real concerns people currently have about the small boat crossings...
-4
2 men charged on 13:12 - Oct 3 with 707 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

2 men charged on 11:43 - Oct 3 by Luk38644

I don't know why you've said 'you used to be a good lad', you don't know me and also would like to think you dont pass judgement on people's character based on a couple of forum posts. I'd like to think anyone on here who has met me would disagree with 'used to be'.

What's 'hot take grenade' about it? I posted a news story and my initial opinion on said news story, is that not what a forum is all about? Why is any other forum post also not a potential 'grenade' in that case?
[Post edited 3 Oct 11:45]


I do know you, I used to chat to you at Portman Road and I even bought you a ticket once, which you paid for in person. How soon we forget!

My point is you've made at least two (that I've seen so far) 'controversial' threads, and then left them for a bit like Sitters used to do. And the reason this one is controversial is your use of "very real concerns" and inferring they're somehow legitimised by two people, out of thousands, being charged with something. It's falling for the usual nonsense the likes of Farage spouts - essentially tarring all imigrants with the same brush because of two. There are lots of people born here who have been charged with terror offences too, but for some reason that doesn't get brought up.

The point is wrong 'uns are everywhere. It doesn't really matter where they came from.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.
Blog: Between The Lines 2, The Irreverent PREM Poetry Of ITFC - Match 5 - “The Fat Of The Land”

2
2 men charged on 13:37 - Oct 3 with 651 viewsBlueBoots

2 men charged on 08:30 - Oct 3 by Churchman

That depends on your definition of ‘massive reduction’ aside from whether the numbers are accurately reported and how many arrive undetected. I am aware that the government, including Burnham, constantly claim an 82% drop in immigration under them. This is incorrect as it’s a net figure (estimate) against a 2023 figure and conveniently ignores those who’ve left the country.

https://fullfact.org/immigrati

The actual figure is an estimated 37% and on the face of it there are a number of factors driving actual reduction, assuming there has been one, such as significant drop in arrivals into the EU.

https://migrationobservatory.o

The numbers of small boat arrivals is still 3x higher than five years ago and does not take into account the increase in size/capacity of the boats used.

I would suggest that there are still very real concerns regarding the numbers arriving in this country. Who they are, why they’re here and beyond political fear whether the current government, like their predecessors since Blair binned immigration controls (not in his manifesto, of course) are truly interested.


"The numbers of small boat arrivals is still 3x higher than five years ago and does not take into account the increase in size/capacity of the boats used."

Hmmm...well if you're going to cherry pick data, the rolling 365-day total of small boat arrivals to the UK according to the article you provided has dropped by 38% between 09/09/2025 and 09/09/2026 (45,219 down to 27,910), and surely that's a more relevant indication of the progress that's being made?

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

0
2 men charged on 14:03 - Oct 3 with 613 viewsChurchman

2 men charged on 13:37 - Oct 3 by BlueBoots

"The numbers of small boat arrivals is still 3x higher than five years ago and does not take into account the increase in size/capacity of the boats used."

Hmmm...well if you're going to cherry pick data, the rolling 365-day total of small boat arrivals to the UK according to the article you provided has dropped by 38% between 09/09/2025 and 09/09/2026 (45,219 down to 27,910), and surely that's a more relevant indication of the progress that's being made?


I’ve attached links. It’s not me that’s cherry picking. A government parroting 82% cut in immigration is cherry picking. I’d add that any progress has to be made against wider context. If the numbers entering Europe have reduced, for example, the knock on to those wanting to reach U.K. will correspondingly reduce. Is that ‘progress’ or external factors?

In other words what is the cause and effect of actions? Whose actions and how will that impact on the future given the sht going on in the world and what this country actually needs, workforce wise.

I’ve no problem with governments taking credit where it’s due, providing they also take accountability if things go wrong and don’t just tip it on somebody else. But we all know what politicians do so my wish has no substance to it.

In terms of numbers of illegal migrants id be interested what the true number is but I suspect we’ll never know. For example in a lay-by not too far away from me you’ll regularly see migrants clambering out of the back of lorries. Some will head for Croydon to register, I suspect some will disappear into the black economy. Just suspicion on my part. I’ve no links to back that up.

Those links I have posted, along with others, tend to be quite comprehensive. But they are written by people and politics undoubtably plays it’s part in the content, even from sources like say IFS.
2
2 men charged on 14:12 - Oct 3 with 605 viewsGuthrum

2 men charged on 13:37 - Oct 3 by BlueBoots

"The numbers of small boat arrivals is still 3x higher than five years ago and does not take into account the increase in size/capacity of the boats used."

Hmmm...well if you're going to cherry pick data, the rolling 365-day total of small boat arrivals to the UK according to the article you provided has dropped by 38% between 09/09/2025 and 09/09/2026 (45,219 down to 27,910), and surely that's a more relevant indication of the progress that's being made?


Five years ago, migrant crossings of the Channel by boat were only just ramping up (299 in 2018, 1,843 in 2019, 8,466 in 2020, 28,526 in 2021), before a sudden jump in 2022 (45,744), a drop and rise back (29,437 in 2023, 36,816 in 2024, 41,472 in 2025) then another sharp drop (19,135 in the first nine months of 2026).

There was a significant peak in arrivals across the Med in 2023 and 2024, which will have contributed to the rise in numbers trying to reach the UK in the immediately following years. Fighting in the Middle East and parts of Africa may well have contributed to that.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

1
2 men charged on 14:13 - Oct 3 with 604 viewsBABLUE

2 men charged on 14:03 - Oct 3 by Churchman

I’ve attached links. It’s not me that’s cherry picking. A government parroting 82% cut in immigration is cherry picking. I’d add that any progress has to be made against wider context. If the numbers entering Europe have reduced, for example, the knock on to those wanting to reach U.K. will correspondingly reduce. Is that ‘progress’ or external factors?

In other words what is the cause and effect of actions? Whose actions and how will that impact on the future given the sht going on in the world and what this country actually needs, workforce wise.

I’ve no problem with governments taking credit where it’s due, providing they also take accountability if things go wrong and don’t just tip it on somebody else. But we all know what politicians do so my wish has no substance to it.

In terms of numbers of illegal migrants id be interested what the true number is but I suspect we’ll never know. For example in a lay-by not too far away from me you’ll regularly see migrants clambering out of the back of lorries. Some will head for Croydon to register, I suspect some will disappear into the black economy. Just suspicion on my part. I’ve no links to back that up.

Those links I have posted, along with others, tend to be quite comprehensive. But they are written by people and politics undoubtably plays it’s part in the content, even from sources like say IFS.


I’m sure you’ve reported this to the police, noting your use of the term regularly?
0
2 men charged on 15:28 - Oct 3 with 520 viewsBlueBoots

2 men charged on 14:12 - Oct 3 by Guthrum

Five years ago, migrant crossings of the Channel by boat were only just ramping up (299 in 2018, 1,843 in 2019, 8,466 in 2020, 28,526 in 2021), before a sudden jump in 2022 (45,744), a drop and rise back (29,437 in 2023, 36,816 in 2024, 41,472 in 2025) then another sharp drop (19,135 in the first nine months of 2026).

There was a significant peak in arrivals across the Med in 2023 and 2024, which will have contributed to the rise in numbers trying to reach the UK in the immediately following years. Fighting in the Middle East and parts of Africa may well have contributed to that.


The overriding factor which explains the jump from 8,466 in 2020 to 28,526 in 2021 was exiting the Dublin regulation on 31st December 2020 - the EU still has a policy in place that asylum claims have to be processed in the country of entry, so we lost that ability to automatically return asylum seekers.

It's a fair point that the numbers crossing the Med will have a knock on for the numbers crossing the Channel in the following years, but you can add to that the people smuggling gangs learning just how much they could get away with after we no longer had the EU membership to fall back on.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

1
2 men charged on 20:43 - Oct 3 with 412 viewsLuk38644

2 men charged on 13:12 - Oct 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

I do know you, I used to chat to you at Portman Road and I even bought you a ticket once, which you paid for in person. How soon we forget!

My point is you've made at least two (that I've seen so far) 'controversial' threads, and then left them for a bit like Sitters used to do. And the reason this one is controversial is your use of "very real concerns" and inferring they're somehow legitimised by two people, out of thousands, being charged with something. It's falling for the usual nonsense the likes of Farage spouts - essentially tarring all imigrants with the same brush because of two. There are lots of people born here who have been charged with terror offences too, but for some reason that doesn't get brought up.

The point is wrong 'uns are everywhere. It doesn't really matter where they came from.


You don't know me aa a person at all, that was probably 10+ years ago, alot has changed in that time. I think our definition of 'knowing' someone is very different. I don't like that you've implied you know/knew me and I've changed from a good person into a bad person because of a forum post. I have lots of friends who are left leaning, I don't judge them as a person for that.

Why are they controversial threads? Because they go against the boards concensus? I posted news stories and passed comments, they're only controversial if you dusagree, that's not my issue. As for 'leaving them for a bit', I dont come on here all that often per day, is there a required amount of time to reply? I'm a busy person as a Dad, I can't sit on here replying within minutes like some do.

I do have very real concerns as do many others, am I not allowed to be concerned about people we don't know plotting to commit terror offences when it could be stopped? Wromg'uns are everywhere I agree, but where they come from certainly DOES matter if they shouldn't have been here in the first place.
3
2 men charged on 21:15 - Oct 3 with 356 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

2 men charged on 20:43 - Oct 3 by Luk38644

You don't know me aa a person at all, that was probably 10+ years ago, alot has changed in that time. I think our definition of 'knowing' someone is very different. I don't like that you've implied you know/knew me and I've changed from a good person into a bad person because of a forum post. I have lots of friends who are left leaning, I don't judge them as a person for that.

Why are they controversial threads? Because they go against the boards concensus? I posted news stories and passed comments, they're only controversial if you dusagree, that's not my issue. As for 'leaving them for a bit', I dont come on here all that often per day, is there a required amount of time to reply? I'm a busy person as a Dad, I can't sit on here replying within minutes like some do.

I do have very real concerns as do many others, am I not allowed to be concerned about people we don't know plotting to commit terror offences when it could be stopped? Wromg'uns are everywhere I agree, but where they come from certainly DOES matter if they shouldn't have been here in the first place.


Blimey, I seem to have hit a nerve. I explained why I think it's controversial. And you're perfectly entitled to have your view... as are people to disagree with it as I have done.

You're also perfectly entitled to post when you want, I was just commenting it looked like what Sitters used to get grief for.

I actually meant to say "used to be a good poster", I wasn't dissing your entire existence.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.
Blog: Between The Lines 2, The Irreverent PREM Poetry Of ITFC - Match 5 - “The Fat Of The Land”

-1
Login to get fewer ads

2 men charged on 21:29 - Oct 3 with 336 viewsredrickstuhaart

2 men charged on 20:43 - Oct 3 by Luk38644

You don't know me aa a person at all, that was probably 10+ years ago, alot has changed in that time. I think our definition of 'knowing' someone is very different. I don't like that you've implied you know/knew me and I've changed from a good person into a bad person because of a forum post. I have lots of friends who are left leaning, I don't judge them as a person for that.

Why are they controversial threads? Because they go against the boards concensus? I posted news stories and passed comments, they're only controversial if you dusagree, that's not my issue. As for 'leaving them for a bit', I dont come on here all that often per day, is there a required amount of time to reply? I'm a busy person as a Dad, I can't sit on here replying within minutes like some do.

I do have very real concerns as do many others, am I not allowed to be concerned about people we don't know plotting to commit terror offences when it could be stopped? Wromg'uns are everywhere I agree, but where they come from certainly DOES matter if they shouldn't have been here in the first place.


We are all concerned with unknown people comitting or plotting crimes.

The issue comes when you connect particular demographics with it, rather than treating each case on its merits.

Poll: Will the US Mid terms get cancelled or "postponed"?

0
2 men charged on 21:44 - Oct 3 with 319 viewsLuk38644

2 men charged on 21:15 - Oct 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

Blimey, I seem to have hit a nerve. I explained why I think it's controversial. And you're perfectly entitled to have your view... as are people to disagree with it as I have done.

You're also perfectly entitled to post when you want, I was just commenting it looked like what Sitters used to get grief for.

I actually meant to say "used to be a good poster", I wasn't dissing your entire existence.


We'll agree to disagree and accept we have different opinions on the two matters you've commented on.

If you meant 'used to be a good poster', you should have put that, not insinuating I had good from a good person to a bad one because of a forum post, especially when you don't know me well personally.
1
2 men charged on 22:04 - Oct 3 with 288 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

2 men charged on 21:44 - Oct 3 by Luk38644

We'll agree to disagree and accept we have different opinions on the two matters you've commented on.

If you meant 'used to be a good poster', you should have put that, not insinuating I had good from a good person to a bad one because of a forum post, especially when you don't know me well personally.


Yep, I should have done. It's what I meant.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.
Blog: Between The Lines 2, The Irreverent PREM Poetry Of ITFC - Match 5 - “The Fat Of The Land”

0
2 men charged on 04:42 - Oct 4 with 172 viewsBenters

2 men charged on 20:43 - Oct 3 by Luk38644

You don't know me aa a person at all, that was probably 10+ years ago, alot has changed in that time. I think our definition of 'knowing' someone is very different. I don't like that you've implied you know/knew me and I've changed from a good person into a bad person because of a forum post. I have lots of friends who are left leaning, I don't judge them as a person for that.

Why are they controversial threads? Because they go against the boards concensus? I posted news stories and passed comments, they're only controversial if you dusagree, that's not my issue. As for 'leaving them for a bit', I dont come on here all that often per day, is there a required amount of time to reply? I'm a busy person as a Dad, I can't sit on here replying within minutes like some do.

I do have very real concerns as do many others, am I not allowed to be concerned about people we don't know plotting to commit terror offences when it could be stopped? Wromg'uns are everywhere I agree, but where they come from certainly DOES matter if they shouldn't have been here in the first place.


Well said Luke.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Which is best Cycling or Running,i will go for cycling as you are sitting down

0
2 men charged on 04:45 - Oct 4 with 170 viewsBenters

2 men charged on 22:04 - Oct 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yep, I should have done. It's what I meant.


So are you going to apologise to Luke .(David Brent to Tim).
[Post edited 4 Oct 5:30]

Gentlybentley
Poll: Which is best Cycling or Running,i will go for cycling as you are sitting down

-1
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026