Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How quickly can opinions change 09:07 - Feb 3 with 3647 viewsmaccyd9

I've never been a fan of Evans but also for a long period have wanted Mick out. I guess I wasn't quite sure who to blame the most so plumped for the easiest target.

That pathetic transfer window has really made me realise that in fact I'm probably more of a Mick inner than I ever thought I could be and I'm actually happy to admit I was wrong.

Evans is an atrocious owner, offers Mick zero by way of financial support and sit's back and let's him take all the flak for his un-ambitious and at times arrogant approach to owning our brilliant club.

I could never understand the view of others when they used to trot out "be careful what you wish for" but for the first time I actually found myself saying it to someone else.

Until Evans goes we need someone who can somehow keep us out of League 1. That is where our ambition is aligned to now and there is probably no man better suited to that than Mick.

We need to get Evans out & it has to happen before his arrogance towards us as fans and OUR club ruins us forever.

Evans out.
How quickly can opinions change on 09:13 - Feb 3 with 2070 viewsITFC_Forever

Mick and ME are both to blame.

3 DCMs at home to Rotherham, awful football, comprehensively out-played in two games vs. Lincoln, players played out of position, all natural talent neutered from the more attacking players (Sears, Ward etc).

Mick Out and ME Out as well.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

How quickly can opinions change on 09:15 - Feb 3 with 2057 viewsmaccyd9

How quickly can opinions change on 09:13 - Feb 3 by ITFC_Forever

3 DCMs at home to Rotherham, awful football, comprehensively out-played in two games vs. Lincoln, players played out of position, all natural talent neutered from the more attacking players (Sears, Ward etc).

I agree that Mick has his faults but when you look at that squad, it's woeful.
How quickly can opinions change on 09:16 - Feb 3 with 2048 viewsITFC_Forever

How quickly can opinions change on 09:15 - Feb 3 by maccyd9

I agree that Mick has his faults but when you look at that squad, it's woeful.

Absolutely fed up to the back teeth of both of them.

How quickly can opinions change on 09:21 - Feb 3 with 2030 viewsBOjK

"Evans is an atrocious owner, offers Mick zero by way of financial support ..."

How are people rationalising the reported bids in excess of £1m for various players? £2m for one as I understand it.

Lies put out just to keep people happy?
Deliberately bidding less that players are worth knowing we wouldn't get them to keep MM and us happy while we sink without a striker?

I'm genuinely interested.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

How quickly can opinions change on 09:22 - Feb 3 with 2010 viewsITFC_Forever

How quickly can opinions change on 09:21 - Feb 3 by BOjK

How are people rationalising the reported bids in excess of £1m for various players? £2m for one as I understand it.

Deliberately bidding less that players are worth knowing we wouldn't get them to keep MM and us happy while we sink without a striker?

I don't think it's lies or propaganda.... just our valuations don't match the current market rate.

Sticking to FFP (or hiding behind it) and refusing to pay more than our valuation is all very noble, but it doesn't bring in decent players.

How quickly can opinions change on 09:25 - Feb 3 with 2004 viewsSteve_M

I make no apologies for repeating this point, but the only thing that makes Evans' nine years at this club look good is McCarthy's better spells in charge. Other than that, it's been pretty awful stuff.

This transfer window is like the last days of Jewell, only without the free hit at the end to sign Paul Taylor for £2.5m.

I think the manager is always the first target if a team is struggling, that we spent most of last season stumbling around between styles of play is incredibly frustrating but I did think we had started this season fairly well - then we sold Murphy.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

How quickly can opinions change on 09:31 - Feb 3 with 1956 viewswitchdoctor

How quickly can opinions change on 09:13 - Feb 3 by ITFC_Forever

nail on the bonce right there...that game was the final straw for me...
How quickly can opinions change on 09:34 - Feb 3 with 1930 viewsKieran_Knows

Evans out.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

How quickly can opinions change on 09:36 - Feb 3 with 1923 viewsITFC_Forever

How quickly can opinions change on 09:25 - Feb 3 by Steve_M

I make no apologies for repeating this point, but the only thing that makes Evans' nine years at this club look good is McCarthy's better spells in charge. Other than that, it's been pretty awful stuff.

This transfer window is like the last days of Jewell, only without the free hit at the end to sign Paul Taylor for £2.5m.

I think the manager is always the first target if a team is struggling, that we spent most of last season stumbling around between styles of play is incredibly frustrating but I did think we had started this season fairly well - then we sold Murphy.

And ME and MMc have blood on their hands for allowing Murphy to go without having a replacement lined up.

How quickly can opinions change on 09:37 - Feb 3 with 1914 viewsBOjK

How quickly can opinions change on 09:22 - Feb 3 by ITFC_Forever

I don't think it's lies or propaganda.... just our valuations don't match the current market rate.

Sticking to FFP (or hiding behind it) and refusing to pay more than our valuation is all very noble, but it doesn't bring in decent players.

I agree with you. But I'm wondering how OP (and others) can say that Mick has zero in the way of financial support.

The massive mistake was letting Murphy go without a replacement in that transfer window and a realisation that it would be very difficult to stay within budget and replace him in the next one. Frustrating for everyone I'm sure.

So (as far as I can tell) we've been hamstrung and have effectively wasted an entire season.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

How quickly can opinions change on 09:37 - Feb 3 with 1913 viewsDoobDude

I enjoy reading post like this. Although it doesn't make me feel any better about the future of this football club.

The important point you make though is "let's him take all the flak".
If Evans was to sack his mate McCarthy then all the criticism from the fans and media will be aimed at Evans. McCarthy will get plenty of sympathy because of the lack of funds.

A similar scenario plays out if McCarthy resigns now.

Therefore we will be led by a demoralised and embittered manager for the rest of the season and face a fight to keep our place in this league.

An absolute shambles.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

How quickly can opinions change on 09:38 - Feb 3 with 1905 viewsReuser_is_God

Evans out

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

How quickly can opinions change on 09:41 - Feb 3 with 1874 viewsITFC_Forever

How quickly can opinions change on 09:37 - Feb 3 by BOjK

I agree with you. But I'm wondering how OP (and others) can say that Mick has zero in the way of financial support.

The massive mistake was letting Murphy go without a replacement in that transfer window and a realisation that it would be very difficult to stay within budget and replace him in the next one. Frustrating for everyone I'm sure.

So (as far as I can tell) we've been hamstrung and have effectively wasted an entire season.

And that decision to let Murphy go without replacing him was equally ME and MMc's fault.

They're both to blame for that one.

How quickly can opinions change on 09:43 - Feb 3 with 1846 viewsmaccyd9

It's a fair question but personally I rationalise financial support as actually spending the money.

It's ok chasing Hugil all month with reported bids of up to £2m but it was never going to happen. They could have come out and said they had bid £5m on a player but if it turns out to be Messi, then it's utterly pointless.

I don't think they are lies, but I guess it just goes to show how little Evans knows about the game.

If Evans was genuinely interested in supporting Mick then he could have found Hugil was out of reach within a week of the window opening, going back to Mick and saying, "look we can't get Hugil, who's next on the list?" We might have ended up with Bogle for £750k and I'm sure we'd have all been happy.

That we went in to the last throws of the window chasing a player we obviously couldn't sign is just p!iss poor from Evans and I genuinely believe Evans had no intent to land a million pound signing.
How quickly can opinions change on 10:05 - Feb 3 with 1794 viewsClausThomsen

How quickly can opinions change on 09:43 - Feb 3 by maccyd9

It's a fair question but personally I rationalise financial support as actually spending the money.

It's ok chasing Hugil all month with reported bids of up to £2m but it was never going to happen. They could have come out and said they had bid £5m on a player but if it turns out to be Messi, then it's utterly pointless.

I don't think they are lies, but I guess it just goes to show how little Evans knows about the game.

If Evans was genuinely interested in supporting Mick then he could have found Hugil was out of reach within a week of the window opening, going back to Mick and saying, "look we can't get Hugil, who's next on the list?" We might have ended up with Bogle for £750k and I'm sure we'd have all been happy.

That we went in to the last throws of the window chasing a player we obviously couldn't sign is just p!iss poor from Evans and I genuinely believe Evans had no intent to land a million pound signing.

Mick decides who to bid for and how much to bid apparently.

Long before Murphy was sold, Mick should have had players lined up. He was 33, picking up the odd injury and had just played in a major tournament.

Say Mick bought 5"11 Conor Washington for £2.5 million when Murphy left (as he tried to) - do you really think that would have made that much of a difference?

He would have still played Douglas for all those matches where we didn't win, score or even create decent chances. Washington would have had a similar success rate with long balls as Pitman has has. Very little.
How quickly can opinions change on 10:17 - Feb 3 with 1750 viewsitfcjoe

It happened in the Jewell days - we announced 5 bids for players (Henderson, Joel Ward, Nick Powell, Jason Pearce and one other) but nothing happened.

I'm not sure they are lies put out, but bids in the grand scheme of things mean f*ck all.

You could have £250k to buy a house in Cambridge - it won't get you much but if you bid on 5 or 6 properties with £300k plus and don't get any have you shown ambition to purchase or just that you are willing to pick up a bargain if one exists for whatever reason (distressed seller etc)

No bargains seemingly existed in this window so we didn't buy

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How quickly can opinions change on 10:19 - Feb 3 with 1741 viewsitfcjoe

How quickly can opinions change on 09:37 - Feb 3 by DoobDude

I enjoy reading post like this. Although it doesn't make me feel any better about the future of this football club.

The important point you make though is "let's him take all the flak".
If Evans was to sack his mate McCarthy then all the criticism from the fans and media will be aimed at Evans. McCarthy will get plenty of sympathy because of the lack of funds.

A similar scenario plays out if McCarthy resigns now.

Therefore we will be led by a demoralised and embittered manager for the rest of the season and face a fight to keep our place in this league.

An absolute shambles.

Generally if you go after the owner and pressure rises on them they sack the manager - it's the easiest way to diffuse the situation

How quickly can opinions change on 10:19 - Feb 3 with 1735 viewsrickw

I don't understand people saying Evans out, it's not like there's a queue of people waiting to give him £50m for the club (or whatever the price would be).

Clubs like Villa and Hull were/have been up for sale for years and they are both recent Premier League teams from big Cities so they'd be far more attractive propositions to your typical foreign owner.

I understand people not being happy with the way he runs the club, and I think he's only here for financial reasons and if someone offers him enough money then he'll go.
Until that happens how is he going to get out?

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

How quickly can opinions change on 10:21 - Feb 3 with 1728 viewsitfcjoe

How quickly can opinions change on 10:05 - Feb 3 by ClausThomsen

Mick decides who to bid for and how much to bid apparently.

Long before Murphy was sold, Mick should have had players lined up. He was 33, picking up the odd injury and had just played in a major tournament.

Say Mick bought 5"11 Conor Washington for £2.5 million when Murphy left (as he tried to) - do you really think that would have made that much of a difference?

He would have still played Douglas for all those matches where we didn't win, score or even create decent chances. Washington would have had a similar success rate with long balls as Pitman has has. Very little.

Have you ever watched Washington play or just looked at his height? He runs the channels and leads the line superbly.

He was brilliant for QPR v Newcastle the other night, and when he played down here in the first half looked exactly like a player we needed giving Berra and Webster a relentless half of football.

How quickly can opinions change on 10:29 - Feb 3 with 1691 viewsClausThomsen

How quickly can opinions change on 10:21 - Feb 3 by itfcjoe

Have you ever watched Washington play or just looked at his height? He runs the channels and leads the line superbly.

He was brilliant for QPR v Newcastle the other night, and when he played down here in the first half looked exactly like a player we needed giving Berra and Webster a relentless half of football.

He's never stood out for me (didn't see the Newcastle match) - seems more Dickov than Murphy though. He's not beating centrebacks to long balls, which is the service he would be getting.

Pitman's an inch taller and having no joy!
How quickly can opinions change on 10:32 - Feb 3 with 1665 viewsitfcjoe

How quickly can opinions change on 10:29 - Feb 3 by ClausThomsen

He's never stood out for me (didn't see the Newcastle match) - seems more Dickov than Murphy though. He's not beating centrebacks to long balls, which is the service he would be getting.

Pitman's an inch taller and having no joy!

Because Pitman is physically poor - he can't run.

We have a team of collection of 10s and no number 9. No one can lead the line which means we are always on the back foot

How quickly can opinions change on 10:39 - Feb 3 with 1614 viewsClausThomsen

How quickly can opinions change on 10:32 - Feb 3 by itfcjoe

Because Pitman is physically poor - he can't run.

We have a team of collection of 10s and no number 9. No one can lead the line which means we are always on the back foot

Pitman's signing was a strange one - great finisher and a superb option off the bench but not a player for our style. He tried the Murphy role last season for about 10 consecutive games and didn't score once. Can't knock his huff and puff though.

Which is all Mick really values.

If we went into the season with only one number 9, who's responsibility is that?
And do all number 9s cost £4 million and play in the same division as us?
How quickly can opinions change on 10:45 - Feb 3 with 1586 viewsitfcjoe

How quickly can opinions change on 10:39 - Feb 3 by ClausThomsen

Pitman's signing was a strange one - great finisher and a superb option off the bench but not a player for our style. He tried the Murphy role last season for about 10 consecutive games and didn't score once. Can't knock his huff and puff though.

Which is all Mick really values.

If we went into the season with only one number 9, who's responsibility is that?
And do all number 9s cost £4 million and play in the same division as us?

Was never the right signing, is a decent sub option but doesn't have the physicality to start - as he showed at Bournemouth

Murphy should have bee replaced/backed up a long time before which Mick and Marcus between them are to blame for - it's hard to know the balance of that though as Mick may have wanted to whereas there wasn't the budget there. We'll never know.

But between them they needed to replace in August, that they haven't in january is a shambles and to me it's because a deal can't be closed.

How quickly can opinions change on 10:50 - Feb 3 with 1568 viewscaught-in-limbo

This is classic TWTD.

The team has served up a pretty shocking show from September though to now. Yes, Mick isn't the one on the pitch, but the buck stops with him with regards to who plays and how they play week in week out. This is not a team he has just inherited.

The transfer window is over, we didn't sign anyone, Mick goes all tail-between-the-legs and some people go all gooey, feel sorry for him and sharpen the knives for ME.

I'm not saying ME isn't to blame to some extent but if I was the owner of this club I wouldn't trust Mick's judgement on any more expensive signings based on the product that gets served up on a weekly basis and the likelihood that he'll be off at the end of the season.

I'd save up my money for the next manager that comes in.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

How quickly can opinions change on 11:07 - Feb 3 with 1509 viewsClausThomsen

How quickly can opinions change on 10:45 - Feb 3 by itfcjoe

Was never the right signing, is a decent sub option but doesn't have the physicality to start - as he showed at Bournemouth

Murphy should have bee replaced/backed up a long time before which Mick and Marcus between them are to blame for - it's hard to know the balance of that though as Mick may have wanted to whereas there wasn't the budget there. We'll never know.

But between them they needed to replace in August, that they haven't in january is a shambles and to me it's because a deal can't be closed.

If Marcus Evans is as naive about football matters as is suspected, he leaves everything up to his highly experienced manager. We've even got a director of football (Bowman) which I didn't know until recently!

We don't know the balance, but McCarthy's targets required the minimum scouting knowledge possible. The last team you want to sell to is a rival, but that's all he bothered trying. The prices are going to be ridiculous.

Preston announced that they knocked us back for Hugill, a bid was made so you have to assume that a budget is there. If Preston said that he's not for sale then you move on.

Murphy needed an understudy if he's so vital to the system - McCarthy's efforts at finding one have been poor. He's an experienced manager under a clueless chairman and he should have been all over it.

It's cost him his job and I don't have any sympathy.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024