Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hypers Manifesto 09:55 - Jun 1 with 2036 viewshype313

1) Higher taxation for NHS, if we want a fully functioning NHS then it needs to be paid for.
2) Simplfy tax, get rid of NI and have flat rates. Save millions on employment in Revenue and Customs.
3) Do away with road tax, increase tax on fuel, so the heavy users pay more and rightly so.

Who's with me on my crusade, appreciate it's a little light on ideas....

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Hypers Manifesto on 10:06 - Jun 1 with 2013 viewsGuthrum

Flat rate tax will not significantly reduce HMRC employment levels. Somebody will still need to process all the stuff relating to calculations, exemptions, disputes, etc. And even if you did manage to significantly cut jobs at (the already heavily cut and understaffed) HMRC, that would just result in a large number of unemployed people requiring benefits.

Your fuel tax proposal would hit business, by far the largest users. Damaging business is not good for the country, a lot of hauliers are pretty much on the limit as it is.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Hypers Manifesto on 10:07 - Jun 1 with 2009 viewshype313

Hypers Manifesto on 10:06 - Jun 1 by Guthrum

Flat rate tax will not significantly reduce HMRC employment levels. Somebody will still need to process all the stuff relating to calculations, exemptions, disputes, etc. And even if you did manage to significantly cut jobs at (the already heavily cut and understaffed) HMRC, that would just result in a large number of unemployed people requiring benefits.

Your fuel tax proposal would hit business, by far the largest users. Damaging business is not good for the country, a lot of hauliers are pretty much on the limit as it is.

Back to the drawing board then.

Hypers Manifesto on 10:22 - Jun 1 with 1990 viewsGuthrum

Hypers Manifesto on 10:07 - Jun 1 by hype313

Back to the drawing board then.

That's one of the things with politics - running the country effectively is a much more difficult job than most people seem to think. There are no neat solutions.

Almost every proposal creates a difficulty or complication somewhere else. There will always be one or more special interest groups clamouring for their particular agenda or needs. No plan will ever be perfect, compromise is inevitable. Paying Paul will inevitably mean robbing Peter somewhere down the line - or getting hugely further into debt. Most people are not going to like whatever you do.

It's a near-impossible, thankless task, not surprising that the ones who actually go for it are such an odd lot, egotistical, slightly mad, or even occasionally outright corrupt.

Hypers Manifesto on 10:38 - Jun 1 with 1972 viewsNo9

I don't think flat rate tax is a good idea at all
Hypers Manifesto on 10:45 - Jun 1 with 1965 viewsMJallday

provding you do
4) increase the speed limit on motorways to 155mph between 8pm and 6am then im with you.

i like the idea of (2+3) - the current systems are grosely unfair

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Hypers Manifesto on 11:00 - Jun 1 with 1955 viewshype313

Hypers Manifesto on 10:45 - Jun 1 by MJallday

provding you do
4) increase the speed limit on motorways to 155mph between 8pm and 6am then im with you.

i like the idea of (2+3) - the current systems are grosely unfair

Thought it was a goer to be fair, actually with the NHS, take it out of the political debate once and for all, have a cross party consensus on it, all agreeing to set funds per year.

Don't use it as a political football.

Hypers Manifesto on 11:03 - Jun 1 with 1951 viewsGlasgowBlue

Hypers Manifesto on 11:00 - Jun 1 by hype313

Thought it was a goer to be fair, actually with the NHS, take it out of the political debate once and for all, have a cross party consensus on it, all agreeing to set funds per year.

Don't use it as a political football.

If you take the NHS out of the political debate once and for all the people who are then tasked with running it will have the balls to say it's a 1940's idea that is unworkable in the 21st century and we may end up with the sort of health care system that most European countries have.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Hypers Manifesto on 11:36 - Jun 1 with 1926 viewsdickie

My job involves a lot of driving and as I work in education the cost of fuel increase since I started 10 years ago coupled with public sector pay freezes has in real terms given me a pay cut every time there's an increase at the pumps
Login to get fewer ads

Hypers Manifesto on 11:37 - Jun 1 with 1922 viewsMJallday

Hypers Manifesto on 11:03 - Jun 1 by GlasgowBlue

If you take the NHS out of the political debate once and for all the people who are then tasked with running it will have the balls to say it's a 1940's idea that is unworkable in the 21st century and we may end up with the sort of health care system that most European countries have.

out of interest (and i genuinely dont know) what sort of healthcare system do the europeans have?

presumably its something like the american model - insurance paid?

Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Hypers Manifesto on 11:47 - Jun 1 with 1911 viewsGlasgowBlue

Hypers Manifesto on 11:37 - Jun 1 by MJallday

out of interest (and i genuinely dont know) what sort of healthcare system do the europeans have?

presumably its something like the american model - insurance paid?

No one has a system like the Americans and I wouldn't want that either.

The Dutch are top of the charts in Europe for Healthcare. We are 14th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_the_Netherlands

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Hypers Manifesto on 11:56 - Jun 1 with 1898 viewsMJallday

Hypers Manifesto on 11:47 - Jun 1 by GlasgowBlue

i really am struggling to see how the Dutch model is different from the USA model? (aside from privately owned hospitals) - or is it as simple as that?

"Hospitals in the Netherlands are mostly privately run and only for profit, as are the insurance companies. Most insurance packages allow patients to choose where they want to be treated. To help patients to choose, the government gathers (Zorginzicht) and discloses (KiesBeter) information about provider performance. Patients dissatisfied with their insurer can choose another one at least once a year."

ive repeatedly told people about my experiences working as a management consultant within the NHS - i believe the only thing that can save it is privatizing it. i never thought id say that without seeing it for myself. i genuinely believe its the right way to go. it will save the general public money, it will lead to proper economies of scale - it will lead to hospitals being run as businesses rather than an endless pit of management money - which to be honest is where all the money goes. aboslutely there would be issues, but other countries have coped quite well (at least 13 in your link!)

Hypers Manifesto on 12:00 - Jun 1 with 1892 viewsGuthrum

Hypers Manifesto on 11:47 - Jun 1 by GlasgowBlue

Is not cheap, tho. Mandatory insurance costing about 100 Euros per month.

Population a quarter the size of ours, too.

Hypers Manifesto on 12:20 - Jun 1 with 1889 viewsBlueBadger

Hypers Manifesto on 11:56 - Jun 1 by MJallday

i really am struggling to see how the Dutch model is different from the USA model? (aside from privately owned hospitals) - or is it as simple as that?

"Hospitals in the Netherlands are mostly privately run and only for profit, as are the insurance companies. Most insurance packages allow patients to choose where they want to be treated. To help patients to choose, the government gathers (Zorginzicht) and discloses (KiesBeter) information about provider performance. Patients dissatisfied with their insurer can choose another one at least once a year."

ive repeatedly told people about my experiences working as a management consultant within the NHS - i believe the only thing that can save it is privatizing it. i never thought id say that without seeing it for myself. i genuinely believe its the right way to go. it will save the general public money, it will lead to proper economies of scale - it will lead to hospitals being run as businesses rather than an endless pit of management money - which to be honest is where all the money goes. aboslutely there would be issues, but other countries have coped quite well (at least 13 in your link!)

The current management structure encourages waste. At a conservative estimate, £4bn of the budget goes on the running of the internal market. That's a whole needless tier of management solely dedicated to outsourcing services. Ironically enough, the removal of the Efficient Private Sector would probably save the service a fortune and, as there's not an additional layer of bureaucracy to go through when making referrals, etc more streamlined.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2017 12:26]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024