Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Darren Currie 18:42 - Oct 13 with 9327 viewsMaySixth

was he any good for us? i can't remember much about him

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Darren Currie on 18:43 - Oct 13 with 8277 viewsBlueBadger

Had a terrific debut match but then faded a bit. It was always my feeling that he slowed us down a lot when we were on the attack due to his lack of pace.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Darren Currie on 18:55 - Oct 13 with 8234 viewsPinewoodblue

Darren Currie on 18:43 - Oct 13 by BlueBadger

Had a terrific debut match but then faded a bit. It was always my feeling that he slowed us down a lot when we were on the attack due to his lack of pace.

He was almost as quick as Douglas.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Darren Currie on 18:59 - Oct 13 with 8227 viewsPJH

I quite liked him although he certainly was not quick.
I cannot think of anyone that we have had since that has been as good as him at taking freekicks around the opposition penalty area.
Regrettably though a major memory of his time with us was of him putting the ball wide at Leeds from about four yards in a 1-1 draw when we were chasing promotion.
Darren Currie on 19:00 - Oct 13 with 8225 viewssolemio

Some truth in what you say. On the other hand he was (after Franz) one of the best close control dribblers we've had - up there with Nigel Gleghorn and our Dutch winger in the Demolition Derby, whose name escapes me due to Sauvignon Blanc!
Darren Currie on 19:00 - Oct 13 with 8216 viewsJ2BLUE

If he had pace he'd have been playing in the Premier League.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Darren Currie on 19:00 - Oct 13 with 8217 viewsPJH

Darren Currie on 19:00 - Oct 13 by solemio

Some truth in what you say. On the other hand he was (after Franz) one of the best close control dribblers we've had - up there with Nigel Gleghorn and our Dutch winger in the Demolition Derby, whose name escapes me due to Sauvignon Blanc!

Hope you get Petta soon.
Darren Currie on 19:01 - Oct 13 with 8221 viewsolimar

In his autobiography, Fabian Wilnis described him as "running as if he had a fridge on his back", but he also said he was hugely talented.
I think thats a good summary on both parts. Also, I remember when Town did Crossbar challenge, Currie introduced himself as a "slow winger" which I thought was pretty cool.

He could beat a player standing still.
Darren Currie on 19:02 - Oct 13 with 8210 viewsolimar

Darren Currie on 18:59 - Oct 13 by PJH

I quite liked him although he certainly was not quick.
I cannot think of anyone that we have had since that has been as good as him at taking freekicks around the opposition penalty area.
Regrettably though a major memory of his time with us was of him putting the ball wide at Leeds from about four yards in a 1-1 draw when we were chasing promotion.

Jimmy Bullard.
Login to get fewer ads

Darren Currie on 19:03 - Oct 13 with 8194 viewsBlueBadger

Darren Currie on 19:02 - Oct 13 by olimar

Jimmy Bullard.

Reuser sh1ts over both those two.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Darren Currie on 19:04 - Oct 13 with 8187 viewssolemio

Darren Currie on 19:00 - Oct 13 by PJH

Hope you get Petta soon.

Good thinking, Batman.
Darren Currie on 19:21 - Oct 13 with 8136 viewsFreddies_Ears

He was the last Town player to have an original song. And it was a good one.
Darren Currie on 19:33 - Oct 13 with 8123 viewsSteve_M

That and a tendency to overplay the ball by doubling back instead of just crossing it.

In 2005-06 we had the "ageing triumvirate" * of Currie, Horlock and Magilton in midfield. No real surprise we struggled.

* I think that was Kev_W's description.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Darren Currie on 20:44 - Oct 13 with 8025 viewsJohnny_Boy

Darren Currie on 19:03 - Oct 13 by BlueBadger

Reuser sh1ts over both those two.

I'm sure I remember Legwinski being pretty damn good in a Town shirt.

Unless I'm making it up.
Darren Currie on 20:49 - Oct 13 with 8006 viewsColin_Viljoen

Most tattooed professional footballer at the time!
Darren Currie on 20:56 - Oct 13 with 7995 viewsSteve_M

Darren Currie on 20:44 - Oct 13 by Johnny_Boy

I'm sure I remember Legwinski being pretty damn good in a Town shirt.

Unless I'm making it up.

Nope, he was excellent in 2006-07. Less effective due to injury the following year but he did score a ridiculously good goal asset QPR.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Darren Currie on 21:34 - Oct 13 with 7944 viewsReuser_is_God

Darren Currie on 19:01 - Oct 13 by olimar

In his autobiography, Fabian Wilnis described him as "running as if he had a fridge on his back", but he also said he was hugely talented.
I think thats a good summary on both parts. Also, I remember when Town did Crossbar challenge, Currie introduced himself as a "slow winger" which I thought was pretty cool.

He could beat a player standing still.

I liked him, superb technically.

I don't get why fans wouldn't like a player who is great to watch to be honest. Obviously he had his flaws but was unbelievably skilful.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Darren Currie on 21:46 - Oct 13 with 7907 viewsSmithy

Darren Currie on 21:34 - Oct 13 by Reuser_is_God

I liked him, superb technically.

I don't get why fans wouldn't like a player who is great to watch to be honest. Obviously he had his flaws but was unbelievably skilful.

His ball retention was incredible, if he had some pace he would have been some player. Rarely gave ball away, was a joy to watch on his day

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

on 21:49 - Oct 13 with 7898 views_

Darren Currie on 22:01 - Oct 13 with 7861 viewsStNeotsBlue

on 21:49 - Oct 13 by _

One of my mates (also a Town fan) was a producer at SSN at the time and Currie told him how amazed he was at the blase attitude of the rest of the squad to the Play-Offs, for him it was the biggest thing in his career.

McG is better than Currie. Agree that Reuser was a fantastic player to watch, but my favourite ever player is the late great Dalian Atkinson.
on 22:06 - Oct 13 with 7840 views_

Darren Currie on 22:01 - Oct 13 by StNeotsBlue

One of my mates (also a Town fan) was a producer at SSN at the time and Currie told him how amazed he was at the blase attitude of the rest of the squad to the Play-Offs, for him it was the biggest thing in his career.

McG is better than Currie. Agree that Reuser was a fantastic player to watch, but my favourite ever player is the late great Dalian Atkinson.

Darren Currie on 23:34 - Oct 13 with 7712 viewsStNeotsBlue

on 22:06 - Oct 13 by _

Youtube Dalian he had (almost)the lot pace, strength, great touch and could strike a ball beautifully. My old man is Rangers and couldn't give a monkeys for Ipswich but Dalian's performance against Middlesborough turned him from begrudgingly taking us to one game a year at PR to following us up and down the land.

He achieved great things as a player but should have done so much more.

2 of the 10 candidates for goal of the season are his.

Every time he got the ball you were off your seat as you expected something wonderful might happen.
Darren Currie on 23:43 - Oct 13 with 7679 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

my main memory is of him selling some oppo player the most marvellous dummy. like, if it happened to you in 5aside, you'd have to just pack up and go home.
Darren Currie on 23:46 - Oct 13 with 7674 viewsuncle

I'd have said he was talented more than good for us.

From what I saw he was slow, skilful and not that reliable.

That said, i'm not sure it was exactly a golden age for town.
Darren Currie on 08:35 - Oct 14 with 7407 viewsMaySixth

I'm meeting him for a pint later today - I'll pick his brains over his time at Town

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Darren Currie on 08:40 - Oct 14 with 7400 viewsbluewein

I loved Currie. My fondest memory of him was when we were playing at Plymouth and were 2-1 up. Plymouth won a corner which we then cleared to the left wing to set up a counter attack. The entire away end realised the break was on and let out a huge roar only to let out a collective “ah forget it” when they realised Currie was “running” with the ball.

TWTD...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024