Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How big is our Derby 19:49 - Feb 12 with 2230 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

The basic answer is that it is subjective to who you support. But in a recent discussion with a villa supporting mate he said " Ipswich Norwich isn't even a real Derby" his reasoning was that we are too far apart. In comparison to most other English Derbies whereabouts does the East Anglian Rank??

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

How big is our Derby on 19:53 - Feb 12 with 2201 viewsshoopdelang

Your mate sounds like a dipsh*t
[Post edited 12 Feb 2018 19:53]
How big is our Derby on 19:55 - Feb 12 with 2180 viewsBlueBadger

How big is our Derby on 19:53 - Feb 12 by shoopdelang

Your mate sounds like a dipsh*t
[Post edited 12 Feb 2018 19:53]

He DOES support Villa.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How big is our Derby on 19:56 - Feb 12 with 2192 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I heard some reading fans after the game at Portman road on the train last year and they were saying stuff like ‘we really should be beating tinpot clubs like ipswich’. To which his mate replied ‘other than history, what have ipswich even got?’.

To which the other two both said at the same time ‘they’ve got a proper derby though. A proper rivalry known by everyone. I wish we had that’

I think most sensible football fans know that it’s a fiery rivalry but also that it’s nothing like villa and brum. Apparently, the viewing figures for our game with scum are usually well above average for a championship game.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

How big is our Derby on 19:59 - Feb 12 with 2166 viewsFtnfwest

How big is our Derby on 19:56 - Feb 12 by The_Romford_Blue

I heard some reading fans after the game at Portman road on the train last year and they were saying stuff like ‘we really should be beating tinpot clubs like ipswich’. To which his mate replied ‘other than history, what have ipswich even got?’.

To which the other two both said at the same time ‘they’ve got a proper derby though. A proper rivalry known by everyone. I wish we had that’

I think most sensible football fans know that it’s a fiery rivalry but also that it’s nothing like villa and brum. Apparently, the viewing figures for our game with scum are usually well above average for a championship game.

Does also beg the question what have reading actually got as well!
How big is our Derby on 20:13 - Feb 12 with 2135 viewsEastTownBlue

How big is our Derby on 19:59 - Feb 12 by Ftnfwest

Obviously they are not considered as tinpot by their own supporters. Most would describe their ground/club as soulless.
How big is our Derby on 20:17 - Feb 12 with 2116 viewsFtnfwest

How big is our Derby on 20:13 - Feb 12 by EastTownBlue

Obviously they are not considered as tinpot by their own supporters. Most would describe their ground/club as soulless.

‘The fake hoops’ as my QPR supporting mate calls them
How big is our Derby on 20:45 - Feb 12 with 2048 viewshorsehollerer

It may not matter much outside of East Anglia, but everyone in football at least recognises Ipswich-Norwich as a proper derby.

That said, I don't buy into all this derby ranking nonsense. If your team has a local rival, then that's the biggest derby there is, and the only one that counts.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

How big is our Derby on 23:19 - Feb 12 with 1863 viewsbournemouthblue

How big is our Derby on 19:59 - Feb 12 by Ftnfwest

You know you've fallen a long way when a club who have had a handful of seasons in the top flight think you're tinpot

In truth our Derby lacks the trophy success of other clubs but is certainly regionally significant

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Login to get fewer ads

How big is our Derby on 23:40 - Feb 12 with 1827 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

I wouldn't waste time trying to 'rank' derbies around the country. Aside from the way some fans seem to lack much awareness of derbies outside big cities, there's also a weird grey area about the difference between a 'derby' and a 'rivalry'. Just check out Wikipedia's category page for 'England football derbies' - it's got ones like Arsenal v Man Utd and Leeds v Millwall in it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:England_football_derbies

Far as I'm concerned, there's nothing 'illegitimate' about our derby based on distance. It's not much different from, for example, the Tyne-Tees derby, or the one between Plymouth and Exeter. I'd certainly consider it more of a 'derby' than things like Brighton v Crystal Palace, but I've no doubt the fans involved in that take it seriously.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2018 23:41]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024