Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what 10:49 - Mar 19 with 3143 viewshowdonblue

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what he does’ - Spence on McCarthy

Doesn’t say much about their quality then does it !
[Post edited 19 Mar 2018 10:50]
‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 11:14 - Mar 19 with 3070 viewsJ2BLUE

I actually quite like Spence as a squad player but he was releashed by MK Dons and then gets signed by us. Not going to say yea he's an idiot is he? Anyway, he is quite good at what he does and i'm sure the players do like him. His time here has just come to an end. Sad that it has got to this point.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 11:32 - Mar 19 with 3025 viewshowdonblue

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 11:14 - Mar 19 by J2BLUE

I actually quite like Spence as a squad player but he was releashed by MK Dons and then gets signed by us. Not going to say yea he's an idiot is he? Anyway, he is quite good at what he does and i'm sure the players do like him. His time here has just come to an end. Sad that it has got to this point.

No I know he won’t say that but if the players are working their hardest for him it doesn’t highlight them in the best way !

Also Alex Mathie mentioned a good point Saturday
Every time the full backs (Spence and knudsen) got the ball their first thought was to go backwards!

Shows the managers intent
So Spence must mean that McCarthy is good at training a team to go backwards
‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 11:37 - Mar 19 with 3012 viewshomer_123

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 11:32 - Mar 19 by howdonblue

No I know he won’t say that but if the players are working their hardest for him it doesn’t highlight them in the best way !

Also Alex Mathie mentioned a good point Saturday
Every time the full backs (Spence and knudsen) got the ball their first thought was to go backwards!

So Spence must mean that McCarthy is good at training a team to go backwards

Does it though? Or does it mean that, sometimes, there isn't a forward pass, or that it's the players making a poor choice or that they've been instructed to keep possession etc etc etc

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 11:44 - Mar 19 with 2989 viewshowdonblue

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 11:37 - Mar 19 by homer_123

Does it though? Or does it mean that, sometimes, there isn't a forward pass, or that it's the players making a poor choice or that they've been instructed to keep possession etc etc etc

Well going by what Mathie said it was every time they got the ball .

His words not mine I never heard the match commentary
‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:02 - Mar 19 with 2953 viewsBobbychase

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 11:14 - Mar 19 by J2BLUE

Spence was awful on Saturday, along with Ward. With an injury crisis like ours we needed players to step up and those two certainly didn't.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:04 - Mar 19 with 2949 viewshomer_123

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 11:44 - Mar 19 by howdonblue

Like I say, you need to think about why that might be happening.

You (or Mathie) as assuming it is because Mick has instructed that. I'm saying, is it really?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:06 - Mar 19 with 2944 viewsFixed_It

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:02 - Mar 19 by Bobbychase

Spence was awful on Saturday, along with Ward. With an injury crisis like ours we needed players to step up and those two certainly didn't.

And yet Ward was one of the best players on the pitch last Tuesday. So frustrating.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:12 - Mar 19 with 2933 viewshowdonblue

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:04 - Mar 19 by homer_123

You (or Mathie) as assuming it is because Mick has instructed that. I'm saying, is it really?

Well if it’s happening every time they get the ball I would say that they are probably getting instructed to do so !

MICK OUT
Login to get fewer ads

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:14 - Mar 19 with 2926 viewsimsureazzure

Spence isn't good enough and a new manager will out him.
‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:33 - Mar 19 with 2892 viewsSuperfrans

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 11:37 - Mar 19 by homer_123

It isn't as clear cut as It is often painted on here.

There surely can be little doubt that McCarthy encourages a percentage game - it's the old theory (from the Charles Hughes school of football, for those old enough to remember him - he was the FA director of football in the Eighties) that the majority of goals are scored from 3 passes or less and the "positions of maximum opportunity", areas of the pitch where teams are more likely to score from. The theory goes that if you get the ball into "pomo" as often as you can, you'll score more goals. I personally don't imagine McCarthy full subscribes to this, but that there is a bit of this in his thinking.

Also, McCarthy is by nature a cautious manager, who is driven by playing football to maximum points, rather than create entertaining football.

I have no doubt that we tried to do something slightly different this season. The fact that we have played a number of games this season with 4 strikers on the pitch at once (McGoldrick, Celina, Waghorn and Garner) indicates that he has tried to get us playing attacking football. We also started last season trying to play a different way, more possession football.

The problem is that if a manager or his players are drilled to play a particular way, maybe even recruited with that kind of mindset, they will always revert to type at moments of stress, challenge or insecurity.

Personally, I think that's what happens under MM. We have tried to play a different style of football on occasion under him, but when our backs are against the wall, or we are struggling during games, or we have limited options because of injury, we revert to type. We start hoiking the ball long, clearing aimlessly out of defence and generally not finding our own players.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:35 - Mar 19 with 2891 viewsSuperfrans

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:14 - Mar 19 by imsureazzure

Spence is a much better player than he is given credit for imho. In a team consistently playing the ball, along the ground, possession football, he'd be fairly comfortable.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:48 - Mar 19 with 2868 viewsBluebell

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:02 - Mar 19 by Bobbychase

Were you at the game?

Ward was one of our best players on Saturday along with Skuse.
‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:54 - Mar 19 with 2854 viewsFinidiCentenary

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:04 - Mar 19 by homer_123

A couple of pre-seasons ago McGoldrick and Murphy were away with Ireland and came back late and were given rest.

I went to all the pre-season games and we came out with the likes of Sears and McLoughlin up front, two shorties, and from the first minute played long balls up to their heads, where they didn't win a thing against the centre half.

Mick didn't change it all, didn't shout, didn't tell them to keep the ball on the deck. Nothing. Next game. Exact same thing!

We were playing the ball up to Murphy's head without Murphy and Mick didn't tell them to do anything differently. So they either had no instruction, he gave them that instruction or he failed to tell them to change because it wasn't working.

That was the first time I thought there were issues and it's got worse ever since. What does Mick ask them to do? The playoff season with Tabb and Anderson, we had a clear plan.

Since then I'm not sure we've had any plan.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:56 - Mar 19 with 2836 viewsPJH

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:48 - Mar 19 by Bluebell

Were you at the game?

I thought both those plus Sears.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2018 12:57]
‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:57 - Mar 19 with 2827 viewsBenters2

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 11:44 - Mar 19 by howdonblue

Yes i heard him say that too.
‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:57 - Mar 19 with 2829 viewschristiand

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:35 - Mar 19 by Superfrans

Spence is a much better player than he is given credit for imho. In a team consistently playing the ball, along the ground, possession football, he'd be fairly comfortable.

Agree with your thoughts Superfrans. Spence is a footballing defender and comfortable with the ball at his feet, he would probably suit a team like Brentford or Fulham much better than us currently. Was having this debate with JetPower and Libero on Saturday, Spence is not a wing-back he simply is not athletic enough to get up and down the pitch like Iorfa. However, as a normal fullback in a flat back 4 that suits him better as he has the protection in from of him and he hasn't got that responsibility to cover that whole right side of the pitch.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2018 12:59]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 13:14 - Mar 19 with 2779 viewshowdonblue

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:57 - Mar 19 by christiand

Agree with your thoughts Superfrans. Spence is a footballing defender and comfortable with the ball at his feet, he would probably suit a team like Brentford or Fulham much better than us currently. Was having this debate with JetPower and Libero on Saturday, Spence is not a wing-back he simply is not athletic enough to get up and down the pitch like Iorfa. However, as a normal fullback in a flat back 4 that suits him better as he has the protection in from of him and he hasn't got that responsibility to cover that whole right side of the pitch.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2018 12:59]

Agree also it’s mcarthys tactics
‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 14:44 - Mar 19 with 2711 viewsBobbychase

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:48 - Mar 19 by Bluebell

Were you at the game?

Yes I was at the game, watching Ward turn in a toothless performance. Which bits of his game did you think were the highlights, the second-half free kick he floated over the bar or the constant giving away of the ball?

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 15:10 - Mar 19 with 2672 viewsSwn98

‘We don’t have to stick up for our manager because he’s fantastic at what on 12:14 - Mar 19 by imsureazzure

Along with 90% of the other players, best any fan under 25 brings his boots to the first game of next season could get a game.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024