Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holiday Advice 20:22 - Jul 16 with 3384 viewsRob88

*This is not a look at me post, genuine insight, help guidance sought*

Planning a two week (ish) trip to Asia with the other half for the back end of the year (November/December) and the plan as it currently stands is 4 nights Singapore, 7 days Langkawi and 3 nights Kuala Lumpur.

I am sure the good folk of TWTD will have some useful input.

Wondering about places to stay in Langkawi, if anyone’s been, and who to fly with between U.K. - Singapore and Kuala Lumpur - U.K. . Also not sure whether to fly direct or take an indirect flight to split the journey? I am also being suckered by Norwegian airlines offering when flying to Singapore but unsure if no frills flying is bareable for that length of time?
Holiday Advice on 20:48 - Jul 16 with 3280 viewsTractorWood

4 nights in Singapore is too much. 2/3 is fine and look the last post on the thread below and try to tick off all my recommendations

Singapore Grand Prix by Bueller 12 Jul 2018 16:48
Thinking of going in September, any suggestions on what grandstand/zone is best?

I've not been to Langkawi but have been to Penang just south of it. It was fun and the food is really good. Georgetown was cool and then went to Batu Ferringhi. Ok for a week of sun. Not been to KL but not heard of any compelling reasons to go.

Personally, I'd recommend Bali. It's hot cheap, unique, has culture. Rent a villa with a pool in Seminyak and chill out with great food and beers.

Or, that time of year Siem Reap, Cambodia will be in its amazingly pleasant dry season. I'd go there and do all the temples. Again, really cheap and you'll have an amazing time. 50p a pint. Totally recommend it.

I've flown direct and transferred with Singapore, Cathay, Garuda and Emirates. Direct is obviously more convenient and Singapore have the best economy but there's not much in it.

Feel free to PM me. Niche Eastern travel is a real passion of mine.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2018 21:00]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Holiday Advice on 20:53 - Jul 16 with 3261 viewsfooters

Here's my side of it.

Flew out with one change (India somewhere). Took a few hours longer, Indian customs ended up seizing my mate's bag as he had an e-cig in there- he had no clothes for a whole week while they sorted it.

Flew back direct with Norwegian and have no complaints (aside from the crying baby in front). Much cheaper, less time in the air, good service.

You're in a tin can at 30,000 ft so I'm not sure what buying 'luxury' provides. Maybe more leg-room, not much more imo. Get drunk, try to fall asleep and watch the same film three times in a row is my advice.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Holiday Advice on 21:00 - Jul 16 with 3226 viewsRob88

Holiday Advice on 20:48 - Jul 16 by TractorWood

4 nights in Singapore is too much. 2/3 is fine and look the last post on the thread below and try to tick off all my recommendations

Singapore Grand Prix by Bueller 12 Jul 2018 16:48
Thinking of going in September, any suggestions on what grandstand/zone is best?

I've not been to Langkawi but have been to Penang just south of it. It was fun and the food is really good. Georgetown was cool and then went to Batu Ferringhi. Ok for a week of sun. Not been to KL but not heard of any compelling reasons to go.

Personally, I'd recommend Bali. It's hot cheap, unique, has culture. Rent a villa with a pool in Seminyak and chill out with great food and beers.

Or, that time of year Siem Reap, Cambodia will be in its amazingly pleasant dry season. I'd go there and do all the temples. Again, really cheap and you'll have an amazing time. 50p a pint. Totally recommend it.

I've flown direct and transferred with Singapore, Cathay, Garuda and Emirates. Direct is obviously more convenient and Singapore have the best economy but there's not much in it.

Feel free to PM me. Niche Eastern travel is a real passion of mine.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2018 21:00]

Thanks for the tips, I am going to look into a few of those. I did look at Penang maybe I need to reconsider that as well.

We originally planned 2/3 nights in Singapore but we were advised 4 nights by the travel agent. I did get swayed as it seems like there is lots to do and see and 4 nights is only 3 days with which to fit it all in.
Holiday Advice on 21:01 - Jul 16 with 3223 viewsStokieBlue

Sounds great :).

I'd say that both the city breaks are a bit long, especially KL which I wouldn't stay in for more than two days but then I wasn't very keen on the place.

The suggestion to go to Angkor is a superb one. Two full days visiting the temples should be on every list, they are magnificent.

Borneo is great but I am not sure you'll have the time if you want a full week in Langkawi relaxing.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Holiday Advice on 21:02 - Jul 16 with 3217 viewsRob88

Holiday Advice on 20:53 - Jul 16 by footers

Here's my side of it.

Flew out with one change (India somewhere). Took a few hours longer, Indian customs ended up seizing my mate's bag as he had an e-cig in there- he had no clothes for a whole week while they sorted it.

Flew back direct with Norwegian and have no complaints (aside from the crying baby in front). Much cheaper, less time in the air, good service.

You're in a tin can at 30,000 ft so I'm not sure what buying 'luxury' provides. Maybe more leg-room, not much more imo. Get drunk, try to fall asleep and watch the same film three times in a row is my advice.

I think Norwegians offering is going to be hard to pass by for the price and I will just have to stock up on Scooby snacks for the plane.
Holiday Advice on 21:02 - Jul 16 with 3216 viewsTractorWood

Holiday Advice on 21:00 - Jul 16 by Rob88

Thanks for the tips, I am going to look into a few of those. I did look at Penang maybe I need to reconsider that as well.

We originally planned 2/3 nights in Singapore but we were advised 4 nights by the travel agent. I did get swayed as it seems like there is lots to do and see and 4 nights is only 3 days with which to fit it all in.

Fair. I definitely put Siem Reap in there ahead of KL.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2018 21:07]

Holiday Advice on 21:05 - Jul 16 with 3197 viewsTractorWood

Holiday Advice on 21:01 - Jul 16 by StokieBlue

I'd say that both the city breaks are a bit long, especially KL which I wouldn't stay in for more than two days but then I wasn't very keen on the place.

The suggestion to go to Angkor is a superb one. Two full days visiting the temples should be on every list, they are magnificent.

Borneo is great but I am not sure you'll have the time if you want a full week in Langkawi relaxing.

SB

I did 3 nights and 4 days and it was amazing. I wanted to go to Tonle Sap but was too hungover.

Holiday Advice on 21:07 - Jul 16 with 3188 viewsearlsgreenblue

Flights 1st, Singapore airlines use the 380 & that would always be my preference having said that Malaysian have been good for me Uk - KL, & up to Langkawi. Air Asia do flights to Langkawi from KL just about every hour in peak season. Loads of options pm me if you like & I will give you a name & number of a useful chap. Langkawi hotels we have used Ambong Ambong a couple of minutes walk to a superb beach Pantai Tengah but up in the rain forest, superb wildlife from your balcony, can recommend a tour guide if you want a Canoe safari in the mangrove forest. Pantai Cenang beach is the place to be. Rent a 125 cc step through for mobility, a nearly new bike for a few quid a day. Can recommend Traders hotel in KL very well appointed, super central location, high light was a street food tour again got contacts if you need. Oh & I would always do direct as it gives more time in the locations rather than in airports.
Login to get fewer ads

Holiday Advice on 21:09 - Jul 16 with 3167 viewsRob88

Holiday Advice on 21:01 - Jul 16 by StokieBlue

SB

I think 3 nights will only equate to 2 days of proper exploring and one of the days the misses wants to take a trek north to an elephant sanctuary.

Might need to think more about what we want to see/do and then workout what time we think we will need to do it all in.

Appreciate the input.
Holiday Advice on 21:11 - Jul 16 with 3157 viewsStokieBlue

Holiday Advice on 21:05 - Jul 16 by TractorWood

I did 3 nights and 4 days and it was amazing. I wanted to go to Tonle Sap but was too hungover.

Was there a few years back and stayed for 6 days and did 5 at the temples, it was really excellent although I love older civilisation history (have done Machu Picchu and Tikal as well and I preferred Angkor although the Inca trail itself was great).

Didn't make it to Tonle Sap either, just spent hours walking around Preah Khan which was wonderful and my favourite temple.

If he can get there it's well worth it. Some decent nightlife as well (Picasso bar was a winner) as was the FCC.

SB
[Post edited 16 Jul 2018 21:13]

Holiday Advice on 21:19 - Jul 16 with 3115 viewsStokieBlue

Holiday Advice on 21:09 - Jul 16 by Rob88

I think 3 nights will only equate to 2 days of proper exploring and one of the days the misses wants to take a trek north to an elephant sanctuary.

Might need to think more about what we want to see/do and then workout what time we think we will need to do it all in.

Appreciate the input.

Enjoy!

Might be best to not cram too much in, decide what is important for you both to see and focus on getting that.

SB

Holiday Advice on 21:31 - Jul 16 with 3074 viewsRob88

Holiday Advice on 21:07 - Jul 16 by earlsgreenblue

Flights 1st, Singapore airlines use the 380 & that would always be my preference having said that Malaysian have been good for me Uk - KL, & up to Langkawi. Air Asia do flights to Langkawi from KL just about every hour in peak season. Loads of options pm me if you like & I will give you a name & number of a useful chap. Langkawi hotels we have used Ambong Ambong a couple of minutes walk to a superb beach Pantai Tengah but up in the rain forest, superb wildlife from your balcony, can recommend a tour guide if you want a Canoe safari in the mangrove forest. Pantai Cenang beach is the place to be. Rent a 125 cc step through for mobility, a nearly new bike for a few quid a day. Can recommend Traders hotel in KL very well appointed, super central location, high light was a street food tour again got contacts if you need. Oh & I would always do direct as it gives more time in the locations rather than in airports.

Yeah we had thought Quincy in Singapore and Traders in KL.

The weeks r&r has been the one we keep changing our mind about. Considered Thailand, Vietnam, Bali but liked the sound of Langkawi after talking to a colleague and we will have to visit Asia again as there is lots more to see and do. Only issue is we want to ensure that wherever we stay we can get out in the evenings and visit street food markets etc.....

Yeah internal travel will be Air Asia I think.
Holiday Advice on 21:44 - Jul 16 with 3049 viewsTractorWood

Holiday Advice on 21:31 - Jul 16 by Rob88

Yeah we had thought Quincy in Singapore and Traders in KL.

The weeks r&r has been the one we keep changing our mind about. Considered Thailand, Vietnam, Bali but liked the sound of Langkawi after talking to a colleague and we will have to visit Asia again as there is lots more to see and do. Only issue is we want to ensure that wherever we stay we can get out in the evenings and visit street food markets etc.....

Yeah internal travel will be Air Asia I think.

I have stayed at the Quincy. It's really good value and has a decent location. One Farrer is also a good option for similar money.

Holiday Advice on 21:46 - Jul 16 with 3044 viewsRob88

Holiday Advice on 21:44 - Jul 16 by TractorWood

I have stayed at the Quincy. It's really good value and has a decent location. One Farrer is also a good option for similar money.

One farrer did make the shortlist.

Do you have a preference? (That’s not a holiday invite)
Holiday Advice on 21:52 - Jul 16 with 3029 viewsTractorWood

Holiday Advice on 21:46 - Jul 16 by Rob88

One farrer did make the shortlist.

Do you have a preference? (That’s not a holiday invite)

One Farrer. It's got an Olympic size pool on the roof and the standard is generally higher in terms of service. The breakfast is fantastic too. It's a 5 star hotel but still new enough to be great value.

Holiday Advice on 05:00 - Jul 17 with 2916 viewsKTBlue

I like Langkawi, but would always choose Gili islands above it. Air and Meno are just fantastic. You fly to Lombok and then a quick boat over.
Holiday Advice on 05:14 - Jul 17 with 2914 viewsjeera

2 weeks?

The best advice I could offer is to ignore half of these well-meaning posts.

You have 14 days and if you follow this advice you'll spend half of your break travelling about all over the place.

It's a holiday. You're not going off travelling. Pick a spot and explore and enjoy it thoroughly.

Don't spend much of your limited time chasing about on crappy transport.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Holiday Advice on 07:17 - Jul 17 with 2848 viewsStokieBlue

Holiday Advice on 05:14 - Jul 17 by jeera

2 weeks?

The best advice I could offer is to ignore half of these well-meaning posts.

You have 14 days and if you follow this advice you'll spend half of your break travelling about all over the place.

It's a holiday. You're not going off travelling. Pick a spot and explore and enjoy it thoroughly.

Don't spend much of your limited time chasing about on crappy transport.

A flight from KL to Angkor is only about 1.5 hours.

In general I think you're correct though, I said much the same. Pick what's important and maximise your time doing that. Hopefully one will always get another chance to go.

SB

Holiday Advice on 07:49 - Jul 17 with 2814 viewsWeWereZombies

Holiday Advice on 21:11 - Jul 16 by StokieBlue

Was there a few years back and stayed for 6 days and did 5 at the temples, it was really excellent although I love older civilisation history (have done Machu Picchu and Tikal as well and I preferred Angkor although the Inca trail itself was great).

Didn't make it to Tonle Sap either, just spent hours walking around Preah Khan which was wonderful and my favourite temple.

If he can get there it's well worth it. Some decent nightlife as well (Picasso bar was a winner) as was the FCC.

SB
[Post edited 16 Jul 2018 21:13]

It's 14 years since I did my three weeks in Thailand and Cambodia but all the same I am going to stick my oar in with another vote for Siam Reap. Spent four days there and we had our own tuk-tuk with driver for all that time (Mr. Leng, if he is still about). Astonishing if you like temples (but you can easily spend three days in Singapore looking round working temples and taking in the excellent National Museum), and I did see Ton Le Sap as we took the boat to Phnom Penh. It's just a large expanse of water with the additional frission of the remote possibility of being captured and killed by pirates.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2018 11:53]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Holiday Advice on 08:13 - Jul 17 with 2799 viewsdickie

I flew to Singapore with Lufthansa a couple of years ago with very short transfer at Frankfurt. Saved us over £500 quid and the airline was excellent
Holiday Advice on 10:37 - Jul 17 with 2724 viewsRob88

Holiday Advice on 05:00 - Jul 17 by KTBlue

I like Langkawi, but would always choose Gili islands above it. Air and Meno are just fantastic. You fly to Lombok and then a quick boat over.

Gili isles look idyllic and reasonably priced for accommodation. Were food and drinks prices extortionate from your experience?
Holiday Advice on 03:44 - Jul 18 with 2601 viewsKTBlue

Holiday Advice on 10:37 - Jul 17 by Rob88

Gili isles look idyllic and reasonably priced for accommodation. Were food and drinks prices extortionate from your experience?

no not at all, probably cheaper than langkawi. Not sure how long you have got, but I would ignore Gili T, and go to air, and maybe a night in Meno. really is idylic.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024