Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A few thoughts 18:15 - Jul 21 with 2135 viewsSteve_M

Well, there's nothing like a slow-paced game on a warm, slightly humid afternoon to make the World Cup feel a long time ago. It's still football though and it took me less than an hour to get home.

We started very brightly finding space between Barnet's midfield and defence and on their right side with Ward and Emanuel both impressing early on. The 4-1-4-1 formation was clear enough at the back if much more fluid further forwards.

After ten minutes, the game settled into something more ponderous, we had a lot of possession, tried to work angles and crosses but didn't really trouble Barnet a great deal. Then when they broke we looked a bit careless at times. We should have conceded but somehow their forward missed what looked an open goal and then Roberts similarly failed to hit the target when a goal looked likely.

The second half was even slower, more broken up with substitutions and the effects of the heat. Edwards looked bright on the ball, although he might need to be better at making decisions against better defenders and he set the goal up nicely for Kenlock who took it well.

That always looked like it would be enough and a 1-0 win was probably about right. It's pre-season and too hot for football so not sure we should read too much into the game. At the risk of today confirming my existing views though, we still lack creativity . Edwards will definitely help but Waghorn dropping back into space was also important today - I really don't want us to sell him now.

Hard to say who else played well, a lot of players were good in spells: Ward and Emmanuel early on, Kenlock got better as the game went on after a dodgy few minutes, Wolfenden looked competent and Nydam impressed in the second half.

That Hurst has a clear approach to how he wants to play should benefit us but we definitely need to add some depth to the squad - at least one central defender and a striker - before the season starts or else we will be fairly weak. Given our recent history of late deals isn't brilliant, the next couple of weeks will likely define how this season goes.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A few thoughts on 18:28 - Jul 21 with 1991 viewscbower

The length of time we are taking to replace Webster is hard to understand. Even before he was sold we probably needed another central defender! If Waghorn leaves, we might be in the sticky stuff. Even if we keep Garner and he is fit, he isn't prolific and low double digits for him would be a decent return. Sears is not going to thrive without a strike partner so where are the goals? A big fee for Wahorn would obviously tempt the club but I think we would struggle without him big time. His set pieces for one thing were one of our only weapons last season.

bluescouser

A few thoughts on 18:30 - Jul 21 with 1964 viewsEastTownBlue

Thanks Steve.

Less than an hour to get home ? Just don’t look at the Greater Anglia planned engineering works page.
A few thoughts on 18:37 - Jul 21 with 1895 viewsStNeotsBlue

I thought Ndaba looked decent when he came on. He's quite a unit but looked comfortable on the ball.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2018 18:38]
A few thoughts on 18:38 - Jul 21 with 1865 viewsStokieBlue

Looks like you were sitting just down from me.

I thought we looked more creative in the second half, Edwards, Dozzell and Nydam all looked to get the ball forward much quicker. If we can find another winger like Edwards for the other flank then it could be pretty promising.

I actually thought Emmanuel looked really sluggish, his stepovers are the slowest I've ever seen I think but he did get into good positions.

Did you think Waghorn stuck an elbow in on their player in the second half? Didn't look too clever on a first look. He was good though, better as the focal point than in behind I thought. I still think if we got a good bid they could take it if the money was used to strengthen where we clearly need it. That is a huge IF though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

A few thoughts on 18:42 - Jul 21 with 1820 viewsMullet

Cheers Steve x

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

A few thoughts on 19:02 - Jul 21 with 1703 viewsRegencyBlue

A few thoughts on 18:28 - Jul 21 by cbower

The length of time we are taking to replace Webster is hard to understand. Even before he was sold we probably needed another central defender! If Waghorn leaves, we might be in the sticky stuff. Even if we keep Garner and he is fit, he isn't prolific and low double digits for him would be a decent return. Sears is not going to thrive without a strike partner so where are the goals? A big fee for Wahorn would obviously tempt the club but I think we would struggle without him big time. His set pieces for one thing were one of our only weapons last season.

Lets put it this way, if some further deals don’t get done in the very near future now this transfer window is not going to be remembered fondly!

I suspect Evans is trying to do deals on the cheap again. Despite what was said when Webster was sold will the fee be reinvested in the squad? Given Evans past record I very much doubt it.
A few thoughts on 19:03 - Jul 21 with 1686 viewsSteve_M

A few thoughts on 18:30 - Jul 21 by EastTownBlue

Thanks Steve.

Less than an hour to get home ? Just don’t look at the Greater Anglia planned engineering works page.

Oh it was guaranteed that trains would run all Summer and then be buggared in time for the football season again.

A few thoughts on 19:07 - Jul 21 with 1659 viewsSteve_M

A few thoughts on 18:38 - Jul 21 by StokieBlue

Looks like you were sitting just down from me.

I thought we looked more creative in the second half, Edwards, Dozzell and Nydam all looked to get the ball forward much quicker. If we can find another winger like Edwards for the other flank then it could be pretty promising.

I actually thought Emmanuel looked really sluggish, his stepovers are the slowest I've ever seen I think but he did get into good positions.

Did you think Waghorn stuck an elbow in on their player in the second half? Didn't look too clever on a first look. He was good though, better as the focal point than in behind I thought. I still think if we got a good bid they could take it if the money was used to strengthen where we clearly need it. That is a huge IF though.

SB

I felt Dozzell was trying to do a bit much on the ball, pick the killer pass over the simple ball. Jason was having a bit of a chat with him at the final whistle where he seemed to be pointing a few things out to him.

Missed the Waghorn one, was slightly late back from the bar and then watched first 15 minutes from front row so couldn't see much.

I can see the logic, just don't think we have enough time to adequately replace Waghorn given the clear gaps we have already.

Login to get fewer ads

A few thoughts on 19:10 - Jul 21 with 1637 viewsMullet

A few thoughts on 19:07 - Jul 21 by Steve_M

I felt Dozzell was trying to do a bit much on the ball, pick the killer pass over the simple ball. Jason was having a bit of a chat with him at the final whistle where he seemed to be pointing a few things out to him.

Missed the Waghorn one, was slightly late back from the bar and then watched first 15 minutes from front row so couldn't see much.

I can see the logic, just don't think we have enough time to adequately replace Waghorn given the clear gaps we have already.

I think a Waghorn replacement would be a big money Prem loanee and is that really a route we want to go down?

Hoping there is something in Eisa and if Garner is going I'd rather it was soon. I can see the Brizzle Rovers lad and Tilt being here next week possibly for MK Dons.

There is no clear pattern to our recruitment in terms of done deals, but I would hope there is a process of us moving down lists of similar players for each position. We will only be able to judge that in mid August.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

A few thoughts on 19:33 - Jul 21 with 1496 viewsSteve_M

A few thoughts on 19:10 - Jul 21 by Mullet

I think a Waghorn replacement would be a big money Prem loanee and is that really a route we want to go down?

Hoping there is something in Eisa and if Garner is going I'd rather it was soon. I can see the Brizzle Rovers lad and Tilt being here next week possibly for MK Dons.

There is no clear pattern to our recruitment in terms of done deals, but I would hope there is a process of us moving down lists of similar players for each position. We will only be able to judge that in mid August.

It's not a route to long-term success given the fees involved. I quite like what Mick did in bringing a winger in on loan but that is different to the main striker which is what Waghorn currently is.

A few thoughts on 02:24 - Jul 22 with 1186 viewsZacak

A few thoughts on 19:02 - Jul 21 by RegencyBlue

Lets put it this way, if some further deals don’t get done in the very near future now this transfer window is not going to be remembered fondly!

I suspect Evans is trying to do deals on the cheap again. Despite what was said when Webster was sold will the fee be reinvested in the squad? Given Evans past record I very much doubt it.

Or maybe Evans is being prudent and making the money go further? He can spunk the Webster fee one player or multiple plaplayers....we need more than one player.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024