Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
East Anglia 21:35 - Sep 2 with 6953 viewsWeWereZombies

It's Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, any of Essex that has a field between it and the Lunnun sprawl, the south part of Lincolnshire, the east part of Bedfordshire, the most easterly part of Northamptonshire and, regretably, all of Norfolk. Init.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

East Anglia on 01:50 - Sep 3 with 5848 viewsOldsmoker

on 01:00 - Jan 1 by

Agreed.
There's a ridge that runs from Kings Lynn south to Downham Market and is basically the east bank of the New cut which runs alongside the Great Ouse.
All the land to the west is reclaimed land called the Fens which stretches up into Lincolnshire.
It's a natural boundary and my family who used to live in Downham always said that was the dividing line between East Anglia and the Fens which is looked upon with envy because of the quality of the soil. Soil on the ridge and to the east is brown and to the west the soil is black.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2018 1:51]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

East Anglia on 07:59 - Sep 3 with 5718 viewsWeWereZombies

on 01:00 - Jan 1 by

True, I have worked in Peterborough and they do speak funny there. But I think that the old Soke should be at least given the chance to regard itself as East Anglian. And the rest of Britain all think East Anglia is all like the Fens so Fenland is definitely East Anglia.

Ah, gone are the days of Anglia TV claiming Hull and Luton as part of the region for football coverage. But as soon as things get a bit woldy you are out of the Danelaw and into Viking territory. Yorkshire can keep that.

And under no circumstances can Milton Keynes be incorporated into East Anglia.

East Anglia on 08:20 - Sep 3 with 5695 viewsBlueorder

I remember way back to 1981 when our supporters branch were trying to decide on name, most wanted to include the word Anglia in the title. Common sense prevailed and we became the East Midlands branch. Most came from the Bedford area with others coming from Rushden, Northampton and St Neots. I still have a few news letters and a membership list in the loft. I believe we had about 120 members.
East Anglia on 08:43 - Sep 3 with 5654 viewsBLUEBEAT

East Anglia on 08:20 - Sep 3 by Blueorder

I remember way back to 1981 when our supporters branch were trying to decide on name, most wanted to include the word Anglia in the title. Common sense prevailed and we became the East Midlands branch. Most came from the Bedford area with others coming from Rushden, Northampton and St Neots. I still have a few news letters and a membership list in the loft. I believe we had about 120 members.

Could have opted for East Mercian

Poll: W or W

East Anglia on 08:53 - Sep 3 with 5628 viewsGunnsAirkick

For me it is Norfolk and Suffolk as the core, with parts of Essex and Cambridgeshire. The edges of Essex and Cambridgeshire don't feel like East Anglia to me, further afield even less so.
East Anglia on 08:57 - Sep 3 with 5620 viewsWeWereZombies

East Anglia on 08:20 - Sep 3 by Blueorder

Now this is an interesting one with the mention of St. Neots, the ancient county of Huntingdonshire seems a dead cert for East Anglia to me.

East Anglia on 09:21 - Sep 3 with 5582 viewsBLUEBEAT

East Anglia on 08:53 - Sep 3 by GunnsAirkick

For me it is Norfolk and Suffolk as the core, with parts of Essex and Cambridgeshire. The edges of Essex and Cambridgeshire don't feel like East Anglia to me, further afield even less so.

Devil’s Dyke stretching from Newmarket to Ely used to be the border between Anglo Saxon territories and Mercia

Poll: W or W

East Anglia on 09:34 - Sep 3 with 5555 viewsblueconscience

East Anglia on 08:53 - Sep 3 by GunnsAirkick

It is because in Essex they are trying to be something they are not, Londoners.

Essex always has been and always will be a part of East Anglia.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2018 9:38]

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Login to get fewer ads

East Anglia on 09:38 - Sep 3 with 5535 viewsWeWereZombies

East Anglia on 09:34 - Sep 3 by blueconscience

What, even Romford?

on 08:04 - Sep 4 with 5402 views_

East Anglia on 08:21 - Sep 4 with 5373 viewsNo9

I don't believe any part of Lincolnshire woi=uld be happy to be classed as E.A. & West Cambidgeshire has ben making the point for a while now that it is part of the Midlands

North Norfolk is twee ex London
East Anglia on 08:35 - Sep 4 with 5349 viewsGeoffSentence

Essex hasn't always been part of East Anglia, in fact it has never been part of East Anglia. Historically speaking Essex was a an entirely separate kingdom. Though it paid tribute to and was subject to the kings of East Anglia, which is how it should be.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

East Anglia on 08:47 - Sep 4 with 5332 viewsWeWereZombies

East Anglia on 08:35 - Sep 4 by GeoffSentence

Essex hasn't always been part of East Anglia, in fact it has never been part of East Anglia. Historically speaking Essex was a an entirely separate kingdom. Though it paid tribute to and was subject to the kings of East Anglia, which is how it should be.

But before that the Trino Vantes were most of the south of Suffolk plus the east of Essex whilst the Iceni were the north of Suffolk and most of Norfolk. And Boudicca came from Mercia.

East Anglia on 08:50 - Sep 4 with 5326 viewsGeoffSentence

East Anglia on 08:47 - Sep 4 by WeWereZombies

But before that the Trino Vantes were most of the south of Suffolk plus the east of Essex whilst the Iceni were the north of Suffolk and most of Norfolk. And Boudicca came from Mercia.

Indeed, but that's before there was an East Anglia, which was an Anglo-Saxon Kingdom.

East Anglia on 09:52 - Sep 4 with 5262 viewsWeWereZombies

East Anglia on 08:50 - Sep 4 by GeoffSentence

Indeed, but that's before there was an East Anglia, which was an Anglo-Saxon Kingdom.

But a bit regressive to insist on the Anglo-Saxon borders, don't you think?

When an entire region is in danger of being flooded by Estuary (which does have it's own sweet culture, just not enough space) then it needs to cast it's net wide enough to preserve and develop it's own culture.

East Anglia on 10:41 - Sep 4 with 5228 viewsGeoffSentence

East Anglia on 09:52 - Sep 4 by WeWereZombies

But a bit regressive to insist on the Anglo-Saxon borders, don't you think?

When an entire region is in danger of being flooded by Estuary (which does have it's own sweet culture, just not enough space) then it needs to cast it's net wide enough to preserve and develop it's own culture.

East Anglia for the East Anglians.

Lets Make East Anglia Great Again.

None of this will come up about if we try to make it a multi-cultural region including Essexons and Mercians with their strange ways.

East Anglia on 11:11 - Sep 4 with 5196 viewsLeagueOne

Historically East Anglia as a Kingdom was originally Norfolk and Suffolk. Cambs joined through marriage of royalty later, and in the 800's under Danish rule Essex was brought into the Kingdom and the capital established in Colchester. It remained that way when the Normans took over after 1066, but they moved the areas capital to Norwich. Therefore East Anglia is Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire. Linguistically all of the areas traditional accents were much the same and shared much of the same dialect before London accents started moving into the region between 1945 and present.

Herts, Beds, Lincs and Northants have never been in East Anglia although are part of the EU's East England bloc. Brexit has made us independent of them again ;)

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

East Anglia on 11:21 - Sep 4 with 5180 viewsWeWereZombies

East Anglia on 10:41 - Sep 4 by GeoffSentence

East Anglia for the East Anglians.

Lets Make East Anglia Great Again.

None of this will come up about if we try to make it a multi-cultural region including Essexons and Mercians with their strange ways.

Hmmm, excluding Essex, Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire etc. for having strange ways and yet Norfolk...

East Anglia on 11:28 - Sep 4 with 5159 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

East Anglia on 08:47 - Sep 4 by WeWereZombies

The Trinovantes and Boudicca were Celtic Britons. East Anglia was one of the Anglo Saxon Kingdoms that made up England, a different entity.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

East Anglia on 11:36 - Sep 4 with 5144 viewsheavyweight

Luton, Peterborough & Northampton all used to feature on "Match of the week" with Gerry Harrison
East Anglia on 11:39 - Sep 4 with 5140 viewsCotty

Sadly you are wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Anglia

Suffolk Norfolk and most of Cambridgeshire, that is it. This is a point of contention with my wife who is from Northamptonshire, and maintains that if you get Look East then are you in East Anglia. I take umbrage with this, pointing out that it is a historical boundary which most certainly does not include Kettering and Corby!
East Anglia on 11:45 - Sep 4 with 5125 viewsGeoffSentence

East Anglia on 11:21 - Sep 4 by WeWereZombies

Hmmm, excluding Essex, Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire etc. for having strange ways and yet Norfolk...

Sadly we cannot get away from the fact that Norfolk is part of East Anglia, though the way I look at it East Anglia is split into two, East Anglia Superior (essentially Suffolk), and East Anglia Inferior ( well, you know where that is).

Those of us in EA Superior must tolerate the uncivilised ways of those in EA Inferior, though perhaps in time we can take sophistication across The Border.

East Anglia on 11:48 - Sep 4 with 5116 viewsLeagueOne

East Anglia on 11:39 - Sep 4 by Cotty

Sadly you are wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Anglia

Suffolk Norfolk and most of Cambridgeshire, that is it. This is a point of contention with my wife who is from Northamptonshire, and maintains that if you get Look East then are you in East Anglia. I take umbrage with this, pointing out that it is a historical boundary which most certainly does not include Kettering and Corby!

That wiki is incorrect though. As I stated above.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

East Anglia on 12:50 - Sep 4 with 5043 viewsHennikerBlu

True, lots of Essex has more in common with Suffolk such as North of the county and Dengie 100. Plenty of Town fans back in the day and some still. It has become a London overspill, but in fairness Ipswich and parts of Suffolk are moving that way and North Suffolk by the coast has changed dramatically with many London and home county retirees.
East Anglia on 13:06 - Sep 4 with 2601 viewsTJS

The Anglo-Saxon kingdom of East Anglia was pretty much Norfolk and Suffolk and maybe some of Cambridgeshire.
Essex was a separate kingdom along with Sussex, Wessex, Kent, Northumbria and Mercia.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024