Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sorry for everyone that had the privilege 16:14 - Sep 16 with 1669 viewstextbackup

Of watching our greatest ever player. Feel sadness for that generation, if not slightly jealous that I’ll never witness such a hero play in blue.

My grandparents, parents, older friends couldn’t/can’t praise this guy enough.

Thank you for choosing Ipswich Mr Beattie.

Sir Bobby and Alf will greet you with a beer and a handshake no doubt

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Sorry for everyone that had the privilege on 16:17 - Sep 16 with 1655 viewsRegencyBlue

The man was a colossus.

Privileged to have seen him play.
Sorry for everyone that had the privilege on 16:20 - Sep 16 with 1622 viewsWarkystache

Sorry for everyone that had the privilege on 16:17 - Sep 16 by RegencyBlue

The man was a colossus.

Privileged to have seen him play.

Never saw him play, sadly. My hero when i saw a game live in '84 was Terry Butcher.

I once asked my dad if the Beat was as good as Terry. He laughed and then looked sad. 'He'll be great if he's even half the player" he said.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Sorry for everyone that had the privilege on 16:23 - Sep 16 with 1597 viewsRegencyBlue

Sorry for everyone that had the privilege on 16:20 - Sep 16 by Warkystache

Never saw him play, sadly. My hero when i saw a game live in '84 was Terry Butcher.

I once asked my dad if the Beat was as good as Terry. He laughed and then looked sad. 'He'll be great if he's even half the player" he said.

Terry has the same passion but a fit ‘Beat’ was something else!
Sorry for everyone that had the privilege on 16:25 - Sep 16 with 1585 viewsPJH

As I have said on another thread, it is like losing a relative.

He was and forever will be a true legend to those lucky enough to have seen him play.

I imagine that Phil must be hit very very hard by this news.
Sorry for everyone that had the privilege on 16:32 - Sep 16 with 1545 viewsWestover

Terrible news wonderful player we will never see anyone in a Town shirt as good as Kevin RIP.
Sorry for everyone that had the privilege on 16:34 - Sep 16 with 1536 viewsITFCed

Just seen loads of twitter replies from fans all over the country saying what a player he was, not my era but he was my mum's favourite player

Poll: Who was the player of the tournament in your opinion?

Sorry for everyone that had the privilege on 16:39 - Sep 16 with 1506 viewsArnieM

I grew up watching The Beat. He was , and always will be the GREATEST centre half this Country has ever produced. I cannot emphasise enough to our younger Town fans , just How good he really was. He was a colossus in every sense of the word.

When he picked the ball up in our defensive box, he would SPRINT the length of the field with the control of Messi, the speed of Euwsain Bolt, and the armour of a tank, as opponents literally bounced off him as he powered past them. Portman Road ( usually 26k +), would erupt in anticipation. The noise was phenomenal.

He had a shot on him like him like an exorcet missile, and keeps would get out of the way , rather then try and save it for fear of losing a limb.

I recall a game at Goodison Park against the “ Team of the season” Everton, where we ( like most teams that season were), on a hiding tonothing against an irresistible Everton side. The Beat was on a one man mission to keep the, out and to try and score for Town. At one corner, he jumped so bloody high he was ABOVE the crossbar to header the ball. Opponents had nothing to match his sheer power.

His ability to read the game , was second to none. Strikers might get the ball, and be several yards ahead of him, but you always knew The Beat would swallow up the ground, make the tackle and come away with the ball. He was simply blood awesome!

There will Never be another player like him, and he was a Town player.

R.I.P. - King Kevin Beattie

This one might be better guys

Longer one I’m afraid..

[Post edited 16 Sep 2018 16:57]

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Sorry for everyone that had the privilege on 17:16 - Sep 16 with 1407 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Sorry for everyone that had the privilege on 16:39 - Sep 16 by ArnieM

I grew up watching The Beat. He was , and always will be the GREATEST centre half this Country has ever produced. I cannot emphasise enough to our younger Town fans , just How good he really was. He was a colossus in every sense of the word.

When he picked the ball up in our defensive box, he would SPRINT the length of the field with the control of Messi, the speed of Euwsain Bolt, and the armour of a tank, as opponents literally bounced off him as he powered past them. Portman Road ( usually 26k +), would erupt in anticipation. The noise was phenomenal.

He had a shot on him like him like an exorcet missile, and keeps would get out of the way , rather then try and save it for fear of losing a limb.

I recall a game at Goodison Park against the “ Team of the season” Everton, where we ( like most teams that season were), on a hiding tonothing against an irresistible Everton side. The Beat was on a one man mission to keep the, out and to try and score for Town. At one corner, he jumped so bloody high he was ABOVE the crossbar to header the ball. Opponents had nothing to match his sheer power.

His ability to read the game , was second to none. Strikers might get the ball, and be several yards ahead of him, but you always knew The Beat would swallow up the ground, make the tackle and come away with the ball. He was simply blood awesome!

There will Never be another player like him, and he was a Town player.

R.I.P. - King Kevin Beattie

This one might be better guys

Longer one I’m afraid..

[Post edited 16 Sep 2018 16:57]

I was right behind that piledriver against West Brom & i swear i ducked as i honestly thought the net would break.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Login to get fewer ads

Sorry for everyone that had the privilege on 17:43 - Sep 16 with 1358 viewsMelford

I used to do a quiz night every week with a couple of blokes in their 50-60s for a few years, who both went every week back in the 70s/80s. I'd buy old ITFC books on Amazon or in charity shops and bring them in, after the quiz had finished I'd whip my latest find on the table and we would sit there for ages and they'd tell me the stories about the games on and off the pitch following the Town in those days and I would get so envious. I wish I was born in 59, rather than 79. I'd have been 9 when we got promoted in 68 and would have watched 18 years of top-flight football under Sir Bobby, finishing top 6 every year and winning trophies. Plus when Punk hit in 1976 I'd have been 17.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024