Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hurst / Evans 09:06 - Sep 23 with 2688 viewspennblue

So for me, the problem is not just the fact that we are being under-invested. It is ALSO the fact that the owner is hands off. There is no support for Hurst, he is a lone ranger, and this for me, further compounds problems when results start to go the wrong way.

Last year, McCarthy could have done with the owner standing side by side showing togetherness. Also, being a sounding board, and help advise that maybe McCarthy should have kept his mouth shut to the supporters.

We desperately need a new owner, OR ME to get further investment, with someone who wants to be more hands on.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Hurst / Evans on 09:09 - Sep 23 with 2662 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I hear this a lot, but I really don't see who would be interested in 'investing' in Ipswich. It's not a compelling proposition.

You have to remember that most 'outsider's have no recollection or interest in what we did in the late 70's / early 80's.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2018 9:10]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Hurst / Evans on 09:23 - Sep 23 with 2594 viewschristiand

Hurst / Evans on 09:09 - Sep 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

I hear this a lot, but I really don't see who would be interested in 'investing' in Ipswich. It's not a compelling proposition.

You have to remember that most 'outsider's have no recollection or interest in what we did in the late 70's / early 80's.

Exactly. It's only us Town fans that really remember those glory days, many football supporters of the new generation just think we are a stagnating Championship club. I got asked this week who I supported? On my reply, they asked why did you choose them, have they ever been good? Just don't think the club is an attractive investment and with us scrambling about at the foot of the league even less so now!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Hurst / Evans on 09:24 - Sep 23 with 2593 viewsElephantintheRoom

Evans isnt so much 'hands off', as hands in the till. He couldnt care less about the football club its all about the bottom line and hoovering money offshore. Evans was sold the idea that Hurst could generate cash by buying sellable players.. Strangely, that could still be true if one or two of them come good. So far thee change in management is meeting the business plan.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Hurst / Evans on 09:28 - Sep 23 with 2573 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Hurst / Evans on 09:23 - Sep 23 by christiand

Exactly. It's only us Town fans that really remember those glory days, many football supporters of the new generation just think we are a stagnating Championship club. I got asked this week who I supported? On my reply, they asked why did you choose them, have they ever been good? Just don't think the club is an attractive investment and with us scrambling about at the foot of the league even less so now!

When I was a teenager in the mid 90's, and living no where near Ipswich parents of a number of my mates would talk to me about Wark, Mills, Mariner etc and say how good Ipswich used to be and none of those were Ipswich fans.

I just get a blank look these days if I tell people I support ipswich.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:28 - Sep 23 with 2571 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Hurst / Evans on 09:23 - Sep 23 by christiand

Hurst / Evans on 09:54 - Sep 23 with 2507 viewsRegencyBlue

The problem is that nearly 11 years of gross mismanagement by Evans is finally catching up with us.

I don’t pretend to know what he is doing here, what ever it is he must be getting something out of it or else he would be long gone, but it’s clearly not working for ITFC.
Hurst / Evans on 10:06 - Sep 23 with 2477 viewsagentp

Hurst / Evans on 09:54 - Sep 23 by RegencyBlue

The problem is that nearly 11 years of gross mismanagement by Evans is finally catching up with us.

I don’t pretend to know what he is doing here, what ever it is he must be getting something out of it or else he would be long gone, but it’s clearly not working for ITFC.

Evans is a stable owner. Not as ambitious as some but better than others. It's pointless blaming him as unless another buyer comes in it isn't going to change and expected him to put in more money is akin to a kid kicking and screaming in the sweet aisle.

One of the big issues here is the numbskulls that shouted unacceptable abuse at MM. Criticise him, yeah, but the kid stuff not only finished the relationship with MM. it also disgusted and finished the relationship with some of the established players.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2018 10:07]

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Hurst / Evans on 10:20 - Sep 23 with 2450 viewsRegencyBlue

Hurst / Evans on 10:06 - Sep 23 by agentp

Evans is a stable owner. Not as ambitious as some but better than others. It's pointless blaming him as unless another buyer comes in it isn't going to change and expected him to put in more money is akin to a kid kicking and screaming in the sweet aisle.

One of the big issues here is the numbskulls that shouted unacceptable abuse at MM. Criticise him, yeah, but the kid stuff not only finished the relationship with MM. it also disgusted and finished the relationship with some of the established players.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2018 10:07]

I quite accept that nothing will change whilst he remains our owner, unfortunately, but he needs to be called out on how this club is run.

The stability you seem so impressed with is leading to relentless decline and as for ambition I don’t see any at all.

Sad days.
Login to get fewer ads

Hurst / Evans on 10:39 - Sep 23 with 2416 viewsagentp

Hurst / Evans on 10:20 - Sep 23 by RegencyBlue

I quite accept that nothing will change whilst he remains our owner, unfortunately, but he needs to be called out on how this club is run.

The stability you seem so impressed with is leading to relentless decline and as for ambition I don’t see any at all.

Sad days.

I agree there is no ambition and why I said stable. I am not 'so impressed with it' as you assume, but unless someone comes into buy the club it is what it is.

It's way too easy to moan about something when you haven't got the answer. Evans it more stable than many and not as ambitious as a lot of others. Unless this mega-rich owner comes in we are where we are. It's easier to moan about Evans than it is to have a solution and I try to avoid moaning about stuff without having a solution.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2018 10:41]

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Hurst / Evans on 10:42 - Sep 23 with 2391 viewspointofblue

Hurst / Evans on 10:39 - Sep 23 by agentp

I agree there is no ambition and why I said stable. I am not 'so impressed with it' as you assume, but unless someone comes into buy the club it is what it is.

It's way too easy to moan about something when you haven't got the answer. Evans it more stable than many and not as ambitious as a lot of others. Unless this mega-rich owner comes in we are where we are. It's easier to moan about Evans than it is to have a solution and I try to avoid moaning about stuff without having a solution.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2018 10:41]

For me, Evans needs to accept defeat and flog the club at a cut down price, possibly even taking the gamble that he’ll keep hold of the debt, being paid back only when promoted as long as the financial position is healthy - which it should be.

He’ll never do it as it’s too big a financial risk to himself. But that’s the only way he’ll be able to sell the club off IMO.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Hurst / Evans on 10:50 - Sep 23 with 2370 viewsagentp

Hurst / Evans on 10:42 - Sep 23 by pointofblue

For me, Evans needs to accept defeat and flog the club at a cut down price, possibly even taking the gamble that he’ll keep hold of the debt, being paid back only when promoted as long as the financial position is healthy - which it should be.

He’ll never do it as it’s too big a financial risk to himself. But that’s the only way he’ll be able to sell the club off IMO.

Yeah, sure. We are not the really attractive purchase that some think we are. We also arent in this enormous catchment area for regrowth.

As we are currently, Evans is not a bad (accept unambitious) owner. We could do much worse.

We can blame people all we want but ME's investment was good enough for a playoff place a few seasons ago. The problem now is his AMBITIOUS approach to management. It has clearly failed. We can't hold ME responsible for that unless we also hold most of this board equally accountable for it. He and most got PH wrong IMO.

Hurst / Evans on 10:54 - Sep 23 with 2360 viewspointofblue

Hurst / Evans on 10:50 - Sep 23 by agentp

Yeah, sure. We are not the really attractive purchase that some think we are. We also arent in this enormous catchment area for regrowth.

As we are currently, Evans is not a bad (accept unambitious) owner. We could do much worse.

We can blame people all we want but ME's investment was good enough for a playoff place a few seasons ago. The problem now is his AMBITIOUS approach to management. It has clearly failed. We can't hold ME responsible for that unless we also hold most of this board equally accountable for it. He and most got PH wrong IMO.

I can’t believe we’re writing a manager off after nine games though, especially one with the success rate of Hurst at other clubs and has only stepped up from the division below rather than Non-League. Yes, there will come a time where judgement has to be made but that isn’t yet.

As an aside, doesn’t it say it all about our financial situation that we had to sell our key players in order to be able to simply afford League One players now? We didn’t really have the money to bring in and pay Championship proven players even then.

Hurst / Evans on 11:01 - Sep 23 with 2349 viewsagentp

Hurst / Evans on 10:54 - Sep 23 by pointofblue

I can’t believe we’re writing a manager off after nine games though, especially one with the success rate of Hurst at other clubs and has only stepped up from the division below rather than Non-League. Yes, there will come a time where judgement has to be made but that isn’t yet.

As an aside, doesn’t it say it all about our financial situation that we had to sell our key players in order to be able to simply afford League One players now? We didn’t really have the money to bring in and pay Championship proven players even then.

I have never called for a managers head, but I see no passion in Hurst. He doesn't seem to have the ability or passion to motivate. He seems to like to pass the book though. I don't see many positives in him.

Fitness and all that clearly did him well in the lower leagues, but we need more than that now and he doesn't seem to have it.

I don't think we did need to sell all of those players. I would pretty much guarantee that the treatment of MM alienated some players who jumped ship with him. The fees achieved for the likes of Waghorn reflect a player who wanted to leave rather than a player in demand.

Hurst / Evans on 11:08 - Sep 23 with 2335 viewsgazzer1999

Hurst / Evans on 09:54 - Sep 23 by RegencyBlue

There was no massive gross mismanagement by Evans, he has been a stable owner who has kept us afloat and given all his managers time to implement their plans.
Granted his appointments in hindsight have not been good, perhaps when when Sheepy left we no longer had a voice that spoke as a fan.
Evans was not a football person and maybe he should have appointed someone like Joe Royle to act as a buffer between the manager and board.
I do fear that Hurst has been his own worst enemy with some of his comments, even yesterday when he spoke of taking "one of the older midfielders" off, up to that point Skuse had been our most forward probing midfielders. I am afraid that Nolan offers absolutely nothing, I am sure we have young players already here that can play more effective than he has.
If I was a betting man Hurst will be gone by the international break unless by some miracle he can conjure up a win from somewhere, which from what I have seen so far looks highly unlikely, or Evans has learnt to be as stubborn as McCarthy.
Hurst / Evans on 11:13 - Sep 23 with 2320 viewsagentp

Hurst / Evans on 11:08 - Sep 23 by gazzer1999

There was no massive gross mismanagement by Evans, he has been a stable owner who has kept us afloat and given all his managers time to implement their plans.
Granted his appointments in hindsight have not been good, perhaps when when Sheepy left we no longer had a voice that spoke as a fan.
Evans was not a football person and maybe he should have appointed someone like Joe Royle to act as a buffer between the manager and board.
I do fear that Hurst has been his own worst enemy with some of his comments, even yesterday when he spoke of taking "one of the older midfielders" off, up to that point Skuse had been our most forward probing midfielders. I am afraid that Nolan offers absolutely nothing, I am sure we have young players already here that can play more effective than he has.
If I was a betting man Hurst will be gone by the international break unless by some miracle he can conjure up a win from somewhere, which from what I have seen so far looks highly unlikely, or Evans has learnt to be as stubborn as McCarthy.

But was Mccarthy stubborn? He was showing a loyalty to a limited squad to bring the best out of them. The opposite approach from PH is a disaster. I would imagine MM was slightly too far to the left, while PH is way too far to the right.

Hurst / Evans on 11:18 - Sep 23 with 2303 viewspointofblue

Hurst / Evans on 11:13 - Sep 23 by agentp

But was Mccarthy stubborn? He was showing a loyalty to a limited squad to bring the best out of them. The opposite approach from PH is a disaster. I would imagine MM was slightly too far to the left, while PH is way too far to the right.

Slightly? McCarthy was far too far to left in that he looked to stoke the fire with the fans rather than pour water on it. That’s one area where Hurst is getting it right - his comments post Brentford and Bolton towards the fanbase were far more placating and understanding.

If Mick had taken the same approach he may still be here.

Hurst / Evans on 11:21 - Sep 23 with 2290 viewsagentp

Hurst / Evans on 11:18 - Sep 23 by pointofblue

Slightly? McCarthy was far too far to left in that he looked to stoke the fire with the fans rather than pour water on it. That’s one area where Hurst is getting it right - his comments post Brentford and Bolton towards the fanbase were far more placating and understanding.

If Mick had taken the same approach he may still be here.

I was referring to his relationship with the players. Accept he alienated fans but he unified players. I was never a fan of MM (lets get that clear) but a good man manager, so good in fact that some of the players wanted to leave at his treatment.

Hurst / Evans on 11:21 - Sep 23 with 2289 viewsgazzer1999

Hurst / Evans on 11:13 - Sep 23 by agentp

I agree whole heartedly with you regarding being loyal to his squad, as it was him that assembled it. But do you remember the comments that he made to the fans the more you clamour to put a player on the more I won't do it. He needed to be more humble to the supporters and say I hear what you are saying and maybe we will look at it.
Its not losing the dressing room that costs the managers their job, its when you lose the paying customers that it happens. It looks like Hurst has already done that.
I was never inspired by his appointment, and stand by that, however I as a supporter hoped he would be a success, but I think we should have appointed from within.
Hurst / Evans on 11:31 - Sep 23 with 2269 viewsagentp

Hurst / Evans on 11:21 - Sep 23 by gazzer1999

I agree whole heartedly with you regarding being loyal to his squad, as it was him that assembled it. But do you remember the comments that he made to the fans the more you clamour to put a player on the more I won't do it. He needed to be more humble to the supporters and say I hear what you are saying and maybe we will look at it.
Its not losing the dressing room that costs the managers their job, its when you lose the paying customers that it happens. It looks like Hurst has already done that.
I was never inspired by his appointment, and stand by that, however I as a supporter hoped he would be a success, but I think we should have appointed from within.

Yeah agree, I am not defending MM I am raising the point that MM brought the best out of a limited squad. PH certainly isn't.

For what it's worth I was not in favour of PH's appointment (was prepared to support him though) I felt his approach to management was all about fitness. As in any sport that works, but only to a certain level. A level he has reached.

Hurst / Evans on 12:06 - Sep 23 with 2225 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Hurst / Evans on 09:09 - Sep 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

You’re wrong, Town are a very attractive proposition,and Evans has had offers, he’s said as much repeatedly.

Do you think Forest’s new owners, for good or for bad, know nothing of their history?

The real issue, is, Evans currently had no wish to sell.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Hurst / Evans on 12:28 - Sep 23 with 2179 viewspointofblue

Hurst / Evans on 12:06 - Sep 23 by Cheltenham_Blue

You’re wrong, Town are a very attractive proposition,and Evans has had offers, he’s said as much repeatedly.

Do you think Forest’s new owners, for good or for bad, know nothing of their history?

See I think Evans would be happy to sell but only on his terms and the club, if anything, is in a worse state than he bought it for so he won’t break even on any deal.

Hurst / Evans on 13:12 - Sep 23 with 2125 viewsagentp

Hurst / Evans on 12:06 - Sep 23 by Cheltenham_Blue

Evans said he has not any offers he felt would take the club forward. I am sure he has had offers from the odd unscrupulous buyer.

Nottingham Forrest is geographically central. There is an opportunity to build a brand there far easier than it would be in Ipswich. A potential town buyer would have to be a fan (Not many town fans wealthy enough i wouldnt have thought) or someone looking for a plaything; the sort usually dissed on here.

There are not buyers falling over themselves to buy us.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024