Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Incoming: Potentially Stupid Question 17:05 - Nov 15 with 1167 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I have had a long day and I feel like I must be missing something obvious as nobody else has mentioned it to the best of my knowledge.

Delighted to see El Mizouni score for the Tunisia Olympic side but it got me thinking. Why is there an Olympic side outside of the Olympics?

I thought that in 2012, 2016 and 2020 there was a football tournament at the Olympics involving 'Olympic' teams but these are only formed for the Olympics. So why would he be playing for an Olympic team two years after / before the Olympics?

It's not like they've ever played friendlies have they? Great Britain never did to my knowledge. You turn up at the Olympics and play don't you?

What am I missing?

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Incoming: Potentially Stupid Question on 17:09 - Nov 15 with 1138 viewsfactual_blue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics#Competition_s

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Incoming: Potentially Stupid Question on 17:15 - Nov 15 with 1116 viewsPendejo

qualification... if ALL Olympic countries entered a team directly into the finals it would take a year...

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Incoming: Potentially Stupid Question on 17:18 - Nov 15 with 1102 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Incoming: Potentially Stupid Question on 17:15 - Nov 15 by Pendejo

qualification... if ALL Olympic countries entered a team directly into the finals it would take a year...

But the link above seems to suggest that 3 berths are given to Africa from the qualification held between 8-22 November 2019.

That's a years time. So the point still stands that this is not the Olympics, nor Olympic Qualification?

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Incoming: Potentially Stupid Question on 17:22 - Nov 15 with 1084 viewsJakeITFC

Incoming: Potentially Stupid Question on 17:18 - Nov 15 by WarkTheWarkITFC

But the link above seems to suggest that 3 berths are given to Africa from the qualification held between 8-22 November 2019.

That's a years time. So the point still stands that this is not the Olympics, nor Olympic Qualification?

It’s the qualification for the U23 African Cup if Nations, which in turn is qualification for the Olympics.
Incoming: Potentially Stupid Question on 17:58 - Nov 15 with 1018 viewsfactual_blue

Incoming: Potentially Stupid Question on 17:15 - Nov 15 by Pendejo

I'm putting a team together....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Incoming: Potentially Stupid Question on 19:34 - Nov 15 with 931 viewsPhilTWTD

As per the article, the games are preparation for the African U23 Nations Cup next year which also serve as the qualfiers for the Tokyo Games.

El Mizouni Nets But Tunisia Olympic Team Defeated in Egypt 15th Nov 2018 16:22
Academy midfielder Idris El Mizouni netted his first international goal as Tunisia’s Olympic side were beaten 4-1 by Egypt in a friendly in Alexandria this afternoon. 4

Portman Road hosted a pre-Olympics friendly in 1959 between Great Britain and the Caribbean FA:

Will We Be Watching Brazil? 17th Dec 2009 09:03
The Brazilian football team could base itself in Ipswich and play pre-tournament games at Portman Road ahead of their 2012 Olympic campaign, according to chief executive Simon Clegg. Brazil’s gymnastics squad are already basing themselves in town and Clegg says their footballing counterparts, which would be an U23 side, could join them in Suffolk ahead of the London Games. 13

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024