Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luke Chambers' mentality 10:05 - Dec 14 with 2553 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Just read up on one of the articles from Jon Nolan's press duties. I'm quoting from the article but it's interesting that Chambers said something along the lines of...

"If you were eight points off the play-offs at Christmas you’d be thinking you could get in there. It’s not over. We’ve got loads of games left."

It's a very valid and true point. My thought is how many of those lads at the club are thinking like that with a more positive mentality..? The few experienced ones may have heard similar throughout their playing careers, the likes of Chambers, Skuse, Bart, Gerken etc.. but the younger lads and even those signed in the summer probably won't have even thought of the flipside or a positive, different light to the situation, but again, that would come from experience.

It just surprised me a little bit, I know Nolan had a very good year in L1 last season but he has mainly played his career at a lower level, but to be 26 years old and pick up on a quote like that only now in his career, is this a sign that we're actually less experienced than we think we are? Or am I delving too deep here?

I think it also emphasises the need even greater for signings of more experienced lads to walk through the door. We need those lads who have either been in a situation like this before or have had playing careers under more experienced & higher calibre managers to have maybe a clearer/positive mentality to get out this situation.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Luke Chambers' mentality on 10:18 - Dec 14 with 2464 viewsPositivelyPortman

I can confirm that you are “delving too deep”.
Do you seriously think that Chambers is the only person thinking that way at the club?
League one and youth team players capable of thinking shocker! Headline news.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Luke Chambers' mentality on 10:28 - Dec 14 with 2411 viewsJakeITFC

I guess if we were eight points of the play-offs then we would have probably one more than one of our games this season.
Luke Chambers' mentality on 10:39 - Dec 14 with 2352 viewsArnieM

OP: top post . And THIS is the effect that Paul Lambert is currently having at ITFC.
Positive psychology is EVERYTHING in sport. Any sport. And is the difference between winners and losers at the top level. Yes Town are not quite there yet. But PL is 100% correct when he says we are not far off. We DO just need that little bit of experience in the side now and the results will start to happen.

Make no mistake , Paul Lambert is a great manager. I’m SO glad he is here at Town. And I can’t wait to see him with “ his” squad and how he utilises our academy players in the future. I hope he can bring back players like Nydam. Woolfie, Emmanuel and Morris and continue their development here.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Luke Chambers' mentality on 10:39 - Dec 14 with 2346 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Luke Chambers' mentality on 10:18 - Dec 14 by PositivelyPortman

I can confirm that you are “delving too deep”.
Do you seriously think that Chambers is the only person thinking that way at the club?
League one and youth team players capable of thinking shocker! Headline news.

The point I'm trying to make is how do certain individuals see the picture in front of them. You can't look at a problem, you've got to look through a problem, and when you don't look through the problem, you'll hit a brick wall.

Chambers is seeing through the problem, by changing his mindset and picturing the flipside, which is a psychological boost. But, how many of the younger boys or the less experienced ones from lower leagues can say they're looking through the problem, but instead, looking at it and saying "we're bottom of the league" and this, that and the other..? It's the truth, and it's the realisation, but it's clear Chambers is being vocal and trying to see the situation from a different perspective, and it's been noted by Nolan (and possibly other lads) and they're seeing things in a more positive light?

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Luke Chambers' mentality on 12:14 - Dec 14 with 2144 viewspatrickswell

After the Middlesbrough game, I hoped Hurst would say to the team, “We’re in a relegation battle. Everyone needs to think about what they can do more of and how they can best support each other to get us moving forward. We have to work for this. It isn’t just going to fall in our laps. We have to make it happen. So think about where can we find that extra 5 or 10% that could make the difference.” Then we beat Swansea and I briefly thought I was a motivational genius. The team needed to keep playing games because two weeks kicking around with Hurst and Doig was clearly enough to wipe away any gains made.
Luke Chambers' mentality on 12:38 - Dec 14 with 2064 viewsSuperblue95

If we were 8 points off the play offs I'd still be worried about us going down

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Luke Chambers' mentality on 12:49 - Dec 14 with 2036 viewsHerbivore

I think you raise some interesting points. What was also telling from Nolan was his recognition that it is quite a step up from League 1 to the Championship and that step up takes time. In that respect he's far more insightful than the man who brought him to the club who refused to acknowledge, even when it was falling down around his ears, that being in the Championship was any different to being in League 1.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Luke Chambers' mentality on 12:58 - Dec 14 with 2003 viewsVic

If we were 8 Pts off the PO’s we’d be doing sort of OK, and could realistically hope for some an xtra 10% improvement which could bridge the gap.

Trouble is that after a terrible start we’re now doing our best and still not picking up wins! So whilst the logic is good I’m not sure that we actually have what it takes to make the improvement.

Our hope is that Lambert can bring enough reinforcements in Jan to make the difference. If he does then, yes, we can stay up - if not then as much as I want it to be different, I don’t think we’ll do it with the current squad. The life and quality was sucked out of it in July and August.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Login to get fewer ads

Luke Chambers' mentality on 17:10 - Dec 14 with 1745 viewsScottCandage

Here's a point for Paul and the lads (and all of us) to be heartened by. Remember chasing the playoffs? We'd get a win but gain no ground, because the teams above us have also won. Hard to make ground up there.

It's just the opposite at the bottom of the table. Why? The teams at the top of the table tend to win more often than not. The teams at the bottom tend to lose more often than not. Therefore, a winning streak can get you out of the basement faster than that same winning streak would put you in the playoffs.

Just win, baby.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024