Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gunthrum - or other painter decorators - I'm in urgent help. 10:15 - Dec 20 with 1195 viewsLord_Lucan

I have an old wooden kids push along cart thing that you put little wooden bricks in. Mother found it in her loft, it was mine in the 60's.

Anyhoo, I promised to sand it down and repaint it for Christmas for the grandson but I've failed, I simply haven't had time. I'm sure the 5 month grandson won't mind but a collection of women may want to kill me.

The only chance I have is to find something to strip the old lead based paint off and I have seen some paintstripper stuff in Screwfix but is this stuff quick and easy? Do I have a fighting chance?

Basically, can I keep by balls intact?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Gunthrum - or other painter decorators - I'm in urgent help. on 10:20 - Dec 20 with 1168 viewsReuser_is_God

I wouldn't bother refurbishing it.

Just say you wanted your grandson to have it in exactly same the condition you did.

Easy way out.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Gunthrum - or other painter decorators - I'm in urgent help. on 10:32 - Dec 20 with 1133 viewsGuthrum

It's messy and rather variable in results. also make sure you don't get it on anything other than what you're trying to strip. Must admit I'm more often adding new layers on rather than taking old ones off, but can see that with a child and the risk of lead-based paint, you might be cautious. Even small babies do not normally chew doors and skirting boards.

For old woodwork I'd normally give it a good rubbing down (roughen up rather than smoothing down, to give a key for the paint to hold on to), then a couple of undercoats (water based) and an acrylic satin or gloss. The water-based stuff is pretty durable nowadays, doesn't go yellow and has the advantage of drying in a couple of hours rather than 6 to 12.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Gunthrum - or other painter decorators - I'm in urgent help. on 10:55 - Dec 20 with 1086 viewsGlasgowBlue

Gunthrum - or other painter decorators - I'm in urgent help. on 10:32 - Dec 20 by Guthrum

It's messy and rather variable in results. also make sure you don't get it on anything other than what you're trying to strip. Must admit I'm more often adding new layers on rather than taking old ones off, but can see that with a child and the risk of lead-based paint, you might be cautious. Even small babies do not normally chew doors and skirting boards.

For old woodwork I'd normally give it a good rubbing down (roughen up rather than smoothing down, to give a key for the paint to hold on to), then a couple of undercoats (water based) and an acrylic satin or gloss. The water-based stuff is pretty durable nowadays, doesn't go yellow and has the advantage of drying in a couple of hours rather than 6 to 12.

I think your last paragraph has convinced Lucan to go down the pub and sink a far pints before ordering something from amazon on his phone.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Gunthrum - or other painter decorators - I'm in urgent help. on 10:55 - Dec 20 with 1086 viewsLord_Lucan

Gunthrum - or other painter decorators - I'm in urgent help. on 10:32 - Dec 20 by Guthrum

Cheers Gunth

Wish me luck.

It's been nice knowing you all.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Gunthrum - or other painter decorators - I'm in urgent help. on 11:00 - Dec 20 with 1076 viewseireblue

Lead based paint, pah, did it ever do you any ha....oh I see.
Gunthrum - or other painter decorators - I'm in urgent help. on 11:33 - Dec 20 with 1042 viewsVic

Guthers knows his stuff! This amateur decorator has nothing to add, but totally endorses the acrylic satin advice. I'm still a dulux man and find it quick to apply and very durable.

If he's five months he won;t know anything about it - can't be on his feet yet can he? Can you not tell the women something about the need to do a proper job because of the lead paint, difficulty in getting paint stripper due to Brexit uncertainty, etc, and that an extra year will be good because he'll be much better able to use it when he's 18 months?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Gunthrum - or other painter decorators - I'm in urgent help. on 12:10 - Dec 20 with 1010 viewschicoazul

I often, as an emasculated married man of many years standing, enjoy your tales of drunken hi jinks, eating drugs off the floor of trains etc but I do wonder if the amount of grief you seem to receive regularly, or indeed the fear of the same, doesnt make my choice to sit down shut up and do what im told the right one.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024