Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
just binge-watched After Life 14:32 - Mar 13 with 1883 viewsIllinoisblue

refreshingly honest with some good comedy mixed in with the poignant stuff. That said, two things that bugged me:

the death of his junkie friend was glossed over. "here's some money to buy more drugs and kill yourself." Okay, and we'll say no more about it.

Ricky's character's house; could a lowly hack on a small-town free-sheet newspaper really afford to live in a house like that?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

just binge-watched After Life on 14:36 - Mar 13 with 1860 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

...can anyone in Eastenders afford to live in their houses?

I think producers tend to gloss over affordability.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

just binge-watched After Life on 14:39 - Mar 13 with 1848 viewsIllinoisblue

just binge-watched After Life on 14:36 - Mar 13 by Marshalls_Mullet

...can anyone in Eastenders afford to live in their houses?

I think producers tend to gloss over affordability.

true. and the glossed over death of his friend was much more jarring.

62 - 78 - 81

just binge-watched After Life on 14:43 - Mar 13 with 1836 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

just binge-watched After Life on 14:39 - Mar 13 by Illinoisblue

true. and the glossed over death of his friend was much more jarring.

Not seen it yet...

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

just binge-watched After Life on 16:14 - Mar 13 with 1749 viewsJohnny_Boy

Oddly enough I watched 2 episodes yesterday.

Clearly relished the chance to use the c word after his BBC handcuffs.

Have you watched The Good Place yet? Discovered it recently. I know it's on Netflix in the States.
just binge-watched After Life on 16:22 - Mar 13 with 1731 viewswrightsrightglove

Great series as ever from Gervais. I might be giving over analysing it but to me it seemed like the message was that it was that simple and didn't change anything. No-one turning up at his funeral, no-one caring about him, to me that's why it was just ignored after his death, because that's what happens in the world to people with no-one, they're just forgotten about. And that was balanced against Gervais' character who did have people who cared and wanted the best for him, showing him it wasn't as bad as he thought.
just binge-watched After Life on 17:11 - Mar 13 with 1687 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

just binge-watched After Life on 16:22 - Mar 13 by wrightsrightglove

Great series as ever from Gervais. I might be giving over analysing it but to me it seemed like the message was that it was that simple and didn't change anything. No-one turning up at his funeral, no-one caring about him, to me that's why it was just ignored after his death, because that's what happens in the world to people with no-one, they're just forgotten about. And that was balanced against Gervais' character who did have people who cared and wanted the best for him, showing him it wasn't as bad as he thought.

Exactly how I read it.

It was a bit 'oh is that it?' but then you realise that yes it would be. Gervais and the sex worker turned up at the funeral and there was literally nobody else that even cared or missed the bloke, which as you say only served to highlight what Gervais meant to people and the fact he would be missed.

On an earlier point, why be bugged by someone having a reasonably nice, middle class house? His parents could have been minted, he could have had a relative die and leave him money, his wife could have had a very well paid job or he could have won the lottery. Not like he lived in a castle. Why on earth would it need explaining?

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

just binge-watched After Life on 17:35 - Mar 13 with 1668 viewsIllinoisblue

just binge-watched After Life on 16:22 - Mar 13 by wrightsrightglove

absolutely that's what happens in the real world, it just seemed a very clumsy story-line to go from "here's some money for drugs to kill you" and then it's not mentioned again. It was almost as if we were supposed to be happy for Gervais' character that he'd done some good by enabling the death. Either way, it just seemed odd for it to never be mentioned again.

62 - 78 - 81

just binge-watched After Life on 19:38 - Mar 13 with 1600 viewsIllinoisblue

just binge-watched After Life on 16:14 - Mar 13 by Johnny_Boy

Have you watched The Good Place yet? Discovered it recently. I know it's on Netflix in the States.

not a fan of the Good Place although Mrs. Illy loves it.

62 - 78 - 81

Login to get fewer ads

just binge-watched After Life on 20:04 - Mar 13 with 1573 viewsmikeybloo88

just binge-watched After Life on 19:38 - Mar 13 by Illinoisblue

Love The Good Place...love anything with Ted Danson though, Sam Malone was one of my favourite ever characters.
just binge-watched After Life on 20:11 - Mar 13 with 1571 viewsmikeybloo88

just binge-watched After Life on 16:14 - Mar 13 by Johnny_Boy

My missus got put off After Life after one episode because of all the uses if the c word. I’ve persevered and finished it today and really enjoyed it. Thought it was pretty uplifting in the end, loved the stupid stories he had to go out to cover...Kenneth Branagh, Baby Hitler and of course, the bread “yeast”
just binge-watched After Life on 20:38 - Mar 13 with 1552 viewswellsy700

just binge-watched After Life on 17:35 - Mar 13 by Illinoisblue

absolutely that's what happens in the real world, it just seemed a very clumsy story-line to go from "here's some money for drugs to kill you" and then it's not mentioned again. It was almost as if we were supposed to be happy for Gervais' character that he'd done some good by enabling the death. Either way, it just seemed odd for it to never be mentioned again.

There’s probably going to be second series so there’s still a chance that his mate’s death will get more of a mention

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

just binge-watched After Life on 21:31 - Mar 13 with 1524 viewsOxford_Blue

I thought it was pretty good although also typical Gervais formula.
just binge-watched After Life on 21:38 - Mar 13 with 1515 viewsXYZ

just binge-watched After Life on 20:11 - Mar 13 by mikeybloo88

My missus got put off After Life after one episode because of all the uses if the c word. I’ve persevered and finished it today and really enjoyed it. Thought it was pretty uplifting in the end, loved the stupid stories he had to go out to cover...Kenneth Branagh, Baby Hitler and of course, the bread “yeast”

Some great one-liners as one would demand. The yeast was a beauty and the line to the ginger kid was gloriously non-PC and hilarious.
just binge-watched After Life on 11:22 - Mar 14 with 1404 viewsJohnny_Boy

just binge-watched After Life on 19:38 - Mar 13 by Illinoisblue

I thought it was a clever bit of writing - then came the plot twist & WOAH.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024