Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nolan comments - very telling! 19:57 - Apr 3 with 3931 viewsTerry_Nutkins

He has learnt more in 5 months under Lambert then rest of his career. That tells you all you need to know re Hurst unfortunately given most of his career has been under him. His comments are really illuminating on Lambert as well. He talks about how they've always just worked it out on the pitch in his career but now everyone knows there jobs (similar to under MM) but also loads of coaching on movement and routines etc. Lambert is a proper coach, with so much to offer the players. Obviously its not an overnight fix and has completely worked with the players at his disposal (many like Nolan who have never had to absorb this sort of coaching).

For the more senior pros who have played a good level like Waghorn, Garner and lesser extent Webster and others who have stayed i think mines would have been made up on Hursts much more basic methods.

Interesting read and for anyone questioning why Lambert is right man given his record here its stuff like this why i back him. Like with Mick (albeit different styles) players know when they have a good manager!

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Nolan comments - very telling! on 20:06 - Apr 3 with 3859 viewsPositivelyPortman

I also hope PL is with us next season, but I believe there’s a level of r slicking here by Nolan.
I can’t seriously believe Shrewsbury went out on the pitch with zero instructions and ‘worked it out’ for themselves.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Nolan comments - very telling! on 20:49 - Apr 3 with 3676 viewsTractorCam

Whilst there's lots to slate Hurst for, this isn't really one of them. Hurst brought him up from non league all the way to championship signing him at every club he managed on that journey.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Nolan comments - very telling! on 20:56 - Apr 3 with 3621 viewsTrequartista

He's hardly going to criticise his current boss. Results have continued to be terrible, let's see if he can turn it around next season if he is still here.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Nolan comments - very telling! on 21:03 - Apr 3 with 3591 viewsgtsb

Nolan comments - very telling! on 20:56 - Apr 3 by Trequartista

He's hardly going to criticise his current boss. Results have continued to be terrible, let's see if he can turn it around next season if he is still here.

It'll be his team come August and it's then we can judge. I'm confident he'll turn it all around. What makes me laugh are the people who don't think he deserves the chance but haven't realised we'll be a league one side and therefore the ability to attract another good manager is severely diminished.
Nolan comments - very telling! on 07:54 - Apr 4 with 3089 viewsronnyblue

Still not good enough!
Nolan comments - very telling! on 09:33 - Apr 4 with 2917 viewsKieran_Knows

Nolan comments - very telling! on 07:54 - Apr 4 by ronnyblue

Still not good enough!

Really? Has pushed on over the last couple of months after what was a very slow start, admittedly.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Nolan comments - very telling! on 11:26 - Apr 4 with 2777 viewsSouperJim

Nolan comments - very telling! on 09:33 - Apr 4 by Kieran_Knows

Really? Has pushed on over the last couple of months after what was a very slow start, admittedly.

Yes, but unless we're suddenly ripping up the league with the same players, it's not good enough. The green shoots of recovery under a very experienced premier league manager who has united the club and fanbase in a way we've not previously seen under Evans entire tenure isn't good enough for some of us. We'd be much better off with another go on the Marcus Evans "hire a random manager and make up a new plan that sounds good to keep the valued consumers quiet" merry-go-round apparently.

I'm off to fetch the moon on a stick.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Nolan comments - very telling! on 12:04 - Apr 4 with 2697 viewsRadlett_blue

Nolan comments - very telling! on 20:06 - Apr 3 by PositivelyPortman

I also hope PL is with us next season, but I believe there’s a level of r slicking here by Nolan.
I can’t seriously believe Shrewsbury went out on the pitch with zero instructions and ‘worked it out’ for themselves.

Right. Most players these days only ever praise their CURRENT manager, and why wouldn't they - he's the boss. Hence I take most of these comments with a pinch of salt e.g. "Yes, Mick McCarthy (or whoever) was a big reason why I signed for the club".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Nolan comments - very telling! on 13:34 - Apr 4 with 2550 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Nolan comments - very telling! on 12:04 - Apr 4 by Radlett_blue

Right. Most players these days only ever praise their CURRENT manager, and why wouldn't they - he's the boss. Hence I take most of these comments with a pinch of salt e.g. "Yes, Mick McCarthy (or whoever) was a big reason why I signed for the club".

I disagree. He has given interesring specifics here. This wasnt just an answer a question about a manager by bigging them up. He's given a real insight. Also players do often praise ex managers. Look at Waghorn last week saying Mick was best manager he has worked with. Nolan i think is being honest here and explaining the step up in level and detail and manager of Lamberts calibre brings.

Lambert (hopefully he'll be here) will be judged from the start of next season. No excuses. But i think he is a man with a plan and the ability to actually take us somewhere after L1 as well. Nothing is guaranteed im football but he is our best hope in my opinion.

Nolan comments - very telling! on 14:02 - Apr 4 with 2485 viewsTractorCam

Nolan comments - very telling! on 13:34 - Apr 4 by Terry_Nutkins

I disagree. He has given interesring specifics here. This wasnt just an answer a question about a manager by bigging them up. He's given a real insight. Also players do often praise ex managers. Look at Waghorn last week saying Mick was best manager he has worked with. Nolan i think is being honest here and explaining the step up in level and detail and manager of Lamberts calibre brings.

Lambert (hopefully he'll be here) will be judged from the start of next season. No excuses. But i think he is a man with a plan and the ability to actually take us somewhere after L1 as well. Nothing is guaranteed im football but he is our best hope in my opinion.

But Hurst took Nolan from just your average non league player to league 1 team of the season. Granted Lambert has improved him to a nifty championship player so your point is sort of right, but the way you've worded it suggests it's a dig at Hurst.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Nolan comments - very telling! on 14:04 - Apr 4 with 2477 viewsSmithersJones

It's sometimes a fine line between "everyone knows their jobs as opposed to working it out on the pitch" and "being so drilled that you can't think for yourself when things change". The Iceland v England game in Euro 2016 is often held up as an example of where the England players weren't able to think for themselves when Hodgson's game plan wasn't working. Whereas Southgate is praised for empowering his players.
Nolan comments - very telling! on 19:43 - Apr 4 with 2284 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Nolan comments - very telling! on 14:02 - Apr 4 by TractorCam

But Hurst took Nolan from just your average non league player to league 1 team of the season. Granted Lambert has improved him to a nifty championship player so your point is sort of right, but the way you've worded it suggests it's a dig at Hurst.

Yes i see what you mean. I don't think Nolan is having a pop at Hurst. Hurst helped his career a lot by having belief in him and signing him twice. What i was meaning to say was it is illuminating what a step up in level Lambert is over Hurst which Nolan can see hence his statement he learnt more in 5 months then rest of career. It is not aimed at Hurst but inadvertently shows Hurst perhaps didn't have the tools for this level.

Hurst is a grafter, and someone who sets standards. What he lacks is perhaps the top level understanding of the game and the level of detail around movement and patterns of play that someone like Lambert brings. Hurst also underestimated the step up and quality required to compete but that experience gained will i hope help him in his next job.

Lambert is such an asset particularly when we need someone trusted to develop the young players and inspire them day by day.

Nolan comments - very telling! on 19:52 - Apr 4 with 2275 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Nolan comments - very telling! on 14:04 - Apr 4 by SmithersJones

It's sometimes a fine line between "everyone knows their jobs as opposed to working it out on the pitch" and "being so drilled that you can't think for yourself when things change". The Iceland v England game in Euro 2016 is often held up as an example of where the England players weren't able to think for themselves when Hodgson's game plan wasn't working. Whereas Southgate is praised for empowering his players.

That doesnt fit. Thats a cop out for England choking against Iceland and perhaps having no plan B. Anybody who has seen Southgates prep knows he is one of the most detail focused coaches out there. Absolutely everyone in that England team knows their role. Look at Kane, we dont actually play to his strengths but credit to Kane he plays to the teams strengths and makes it work. It was similar with sturridge in the World cup hence he got abuse but he was doing a team role. Southgates England is very well drilled down to the last detail ( e.g. thebset piece routines have been on point).

Top players and top teams are all really detail focussed. Peps teams are so creative but watch the docs. They are drilled! However i think the license is still there in posession to do creative things.

Kind of a seperate topic to this. Nolan isnt saying there wasnt a game plan. Just that it was probably more basic and generalist rather than work on the training ground about clever movement and patterns of play etc. I think Hurst was more fitness and pressure the ball etc and have courage on the ball. Not massively idea driven. Just my take and it seemed Nolan is really seeing next level management.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024