Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fishing advice please 11:58 - Jun 5 with 1846 viewsITFCson

I am off on little holiday staying at a cottage where at the bottom of the garden is the canal. I like the idea at sitting at the bottom of the garden with my son a beer and a rod in the water. I don't have a rod though and its likely I wont use it again afterwards, just looking for something cheap and manageable to transport. Any recommendations welcome...thanks :-)
Fishing advice please on 12:05 - Jun 5 with 1825 viewsnever_lose_the_faith

I will have a look at my rod collection, which I never really use and if can find the one for you, you are more than welcome to have it for free. Anything to help out another town fan, espically for you and your son as I remember doing the same with my dad and is something I have always remembered.
Fishing advice please on 12:05 - Jun 5 with 1825 viewsfooters

If you don't want to deal with a lot of hoo-ha and are just fishing for smaller fish, like bream and roach, why not try pole fishing? Much less hassle and you can just leave your maggot dangling in the cool water.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Fishing advice please on 12:08 - Jun 5 with 1817 viewsnever_lose_the_faith

Fishing advice please on 12:05 - Jun 5 by footers

If you don't want to deal with a lot of hoo-ha and are just fishing for smaller fish, like bream and roach, why not try pole fishing? Much less hassle and you can just leave your maggot dangling in the cool water.

Poles are quite expensive aren’t they. I don’t do much freshwater so am probably wrong.
I have done pole fishing before and to me it is not the same as casting and reeling, I’m sure for match fishing it is better but for fun rod will always win
Fishing advice please on 12:13 - Jun 5 with 1805 viewsfooters

Fishing advice please on 12:08 - Jun 5 by never_lose_the_faith

Poles are quite expensive aren’t they. I don’t do much freshwater so am probably wrong.
I have done pole fishing before and to me it is not the same as casting and reeling, I’m sure for match fishing it is better but for fun rod will always win

Yeah, I certainly prefer the rod and reel but if the OP isn't really into fishing I thought it may be easier for him. Been a while since something's dangled on my hook, mind you.

Fishing advice please on 12:13 - Jun 5 with 1805 viewsDeano69

Might be worth checking you dont need any licenses or permit, just in case

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Fishing advice please on 12:27 - Jun 5 with 1772 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Fishing advice please on 12:13 - Jun 5 by Deano69

Might be worth checking you dont need any licenses or permit, just in case

You do need a license for over 16 years old. Check out the Environment Agency website as you can get a week long one. Can help you out with advice regarding rod & some cheap tackle if you are near Ipswich mate

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Fishing advice please on 12:38 - Jun 5 with 1739 viewsSpruceMoose

Don't forget to take a bucket of KFC along too.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Fishing advice please on 13:21 - Jun 5 with 1682 viewsnever_lose_the_faith

Just had a look, I have got a rod and reel you can have or borrow. It is a light bass rod so won’t be any good for carp but for tench or roach would be perfect.
Login to get fewer ads

Fishing advice please on 13:25 - Jun 5 with 1677 viewsITFCson

Fishing advice please on 12:05 - Jun 5 by never_lose_the_faith

I will have a look at my rod collection, which I never really use and if can find the one for you, you are more than welcome to have it for free. Anything to help out another town fan, espically for you and your son as I remember doing the same with my dad and is something I have always remembered.

How very kind of you, I should point out my son is only 7 months old 🙈. We do a family canal boat holiday every year, but this year with a baby thought wise to stay off the water, the rest of the family have still hired a boat and will moor up at the bottom of our garden and in future years we will go on the boat so as my son grows up he’ll definitely remember canal boat trips and hopefully fishing also.
Fishing advice please on 13:31 - Jun 5 with 1662 viewsnever_lose_the_faith

Fishing advice please on 13:25 - Jun 5 by ITFCson

How very kind of you, I should point out my son is only 7 months old 🙈. We do a family canal boat holiday every year, but this year with a baby thought wise to stay off the water, the rest of the family have still hired a boat and will moor up at the bottom of our garden and in future years we will go on the boat so as my son grows up he’ll definitely remember canal boat trips and hopefully fishing also.

No worries mate, I’m sure you will have a great time. The rod I have would be perfect then, it is so light and small.
Just let me know if you do and we can arrange to meet
Fishing advice please on 13:42 - Jun 5 with 1643 viewsHennikerBlu

Definitely rod and reel where there is boat traffic. I hope you don't mind a few tips.

Look for features that the boats avoid or fish close in during the day, bushes and trees can be holding spots, but watch your casting near trees. When boat traffic quietens, the point/line where the boat traffic and margin area meet can be good as fish sniff around the stirred up water.

Take care near banks with little one's, old timber and banks, may look sturdy but can give way, plus boat traffic can undercut banks creating a false impression. I know from experience ;))
Fishing advice please on 14:42 - Jun 5 with 1597 viewsITFCson

Fishing advice please on 13:42 - Jun 5 by HennikerBlu

Definitely rod and reel where there is boat traffic. I hope you don't mind a few tips.

Look for features that the boats avoid or fish close in during the day, bushes and trees can be holding spots, but watch your casting near trees. When boat traffic quietens, the point/line where the boat traffic and margin area meet can be good as fish sniff around the stirred up water.

Take care near banks with little one's, old timber and banks, may look sturdy but can give way, plus boat traffic can undercut banks creating a false impression. I know from experience ;))

All tips and advice are appreciated, thanks very much. Is live bait required or just maybe some bread or cheese on the end of a hook?
Fishing advice please on 14:57 - Jun 5 with 1577 viewsnever_lose_the_faith

Fishing advice please on 13:42 - Jun 5 by HennikerBlu

Listen to his advice, he knows what he is talking about. I am more of a sea angler.
Bait wise, depends on what you are fishing for. See if you can do some research before you go ,to know what might be about at that time of year, which then you can rig specially for and will increase your chance 10 fold.
I know people say it isn’t all about catching, which I do agree, but imagine your little boys face light up when you reel one in
Fishing advice please on 15:05 - Jun 5 with 1562 viewsjontysnut

Check for any angling club rights along the stretch of the canal. I know this is heresy to the purists but cheap shops like B&M do basic kits if all you want to do is chill by the water and hope something nibbles.
Fishing advice please on 16:15 - Jun 5 with 1514 viewsSwansea_Blue

Only three things to consider for permissions:

1. You must have a rod licence, by law. You can buy one for just a week if that's long enough. https://www.gov.uk/fishing-licences/buy-a-fishing-licence

2. Who owns the fishing rights on the canal? Check with your Cottage provider if they have private rights for fishing, they may well have if they back onto the canal. Or it could be owned by a fishing club (you can search here https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/fishery-list. Alternatively, it may be owned by the Canal & River Trust and they offer permits.

3. Close season. If you're going after June 15th, ignore this. If you're off in the next week or so, it's likely that you won't be affected anyway, but worth checking quickly that you aren't on one of the areas of canals that have a close season. https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/places-to-fish/coarse

That's all the boring stuff! Some good advice so far on here around tackle & general tips.

Check out the Canal & River Trust website for other hints and tips, guidance on permits, etc, here https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Fishing advice please on 16:35 - Jun 5 with 1493 viewsfooters

Fishing advice please on 14:57 - Jun 5 by never_lose_the_faith

Listen to his advice, he knows what he is talking about. I am more of a sea angler.
Bait wise, depends on what you are fishing for. See if you can do some research before you go ,to know what might be about at that time of year, which then you can rig specially for and will increase your chance 10 fold.
I know people say it isn’t all about catching, which I do agree, but imagine your little boys face light up when you reel one in

Getting your first barbed hook stuck in your hand is an important rite of passage. It'll make a man out of him in no time!

See also putting maggots in your mouth. Only did that once though!

Fishing advice please on 16:35 - Jun 5 with 1492 viewsSpruceMoose

Fishing advice please on 16:35 - Jun 5 by footers

Getting your first barbed hook stuck in your hand is an important rite of passage. It'll make a man out of him in no time!

See also putting maggots in your mouth. Only did that once though!

How is wkj btw?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Fishing advice please on 16:38 - Jun 5 with 1488 viewsfooters

Fishing advice please on 16:35 - Jun 5 by SpruceMoose

How is wkj btw?

Maggots plural. You don't remember being there?

Fishing advice please on 17:00 - Jun 6 with 1337 viewsjeera

Fishing advice please on 12:05 - Jun 5 by never_lose_the_faith

In the interest of balance.

Nice touch.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024