Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pre paid sim for US 10:19 - Sep 26 with 1059 viewsunbelievablue

Alright?

I'm going to the US in a couple of weeks and I've just found out my current provider doesn't do data roaming bolt ons...so if I want to use the internet on my iPhone I'll be paying through the nose.

Has anyone used a pre-paid SIM to get around this kind of issue? Any recommendations?
[Post edited 26 Sep 2019 10:21]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Pre paid sim for US on 10:37 - Sep 26 with 1029 viewsSwansea_Blue

How long are you going for? When we went we bought a cheap pre-paid Motorola from Verizon (about $50) and then just added monthly data plan for about $30/mnth. We were there for 6 months+ though. For a short trip you probably don't want to buy a phone.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Pre paid sim for US on 10:37 - Sep 26 with 1025 viewsunbelievablue

Pre paid sim for US on 10:37 - Sep 26 by Swansea_Blue

How long are you going for? When we went we bought a cheap pre-paid Motorola from Verizon (about $50) and then just added monthly data plan for about $30/mnth. We were there for 6 months+ though. For a short trip you probably don't want to buy a phone.

6 days. Plenty of WiFi worst case scenario...

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Pre paid sim for US on 10:50 - Sep 26 with 1013 viewsSwansea_Blue

Pre paid sim for US on 10:37 - Sep 26 by unbelievablue

6 days. Plenty of WiFi worst case scenario...

ok, not at all relevant then. You could have my old sim from when I was there, but I don't think Verizon sims work on UK phones (& it's for a motorola)

As far as I'm aware the only option would be to buy a SIM in the USA sim that does work on UK phones (AT&T do). I think they only do monthly pre-pay plans, from upwards of $30+tax a month. This article explains it.
https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/best-sim-cards-for-usa#Buying_A_US_SIM_Card_O

For just 6 days, but it depends how reliant you are on your phone, whether you want to use apps on the go like google maps and navigation.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Pre paid sim for US on 12:21 - Sep 26 with 966 viewsBluefish

Yes but first up ask yourself where are you going to be calling? If it is calls to and from the UK then go and buy a payg from 3. They will give you roaming so £10 should be a month of free calls. If the calls are to US based numbers then you should get a USA phone and it will be really easier to sort when you are there

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Pre paid sim for US on 12:57 - Sep 26 with 943 viewsIpswich1984

Weve used 3 in the past, got a PAYG sim and then added one of their add ons which gave us data, texts and minutes (back to the UK).

Details here
http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Top_Up

Poll: Should there be a lap of honour after the Sheffield United game?

Pre paid sim for US on 16:55 - Sep 26 with 894 viewsblue62

I think someone like 3 do a sim that roams in the UK. I did think about grabbing one but decided on just using my own at £6 per day for when I needed it.
Pre paid sim for US on 17:06 - Sep 26 with 885 viewswkj

Does your carrier have Wifi Calling? Something I do recommend to people who are abroad is to check if this is part of their plan and whether or not additional charges apply to Wifi calling abroad whilst tethered to a hot spot or WAP
[Post edited 26 Sep 2019 17:12]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024