Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Premier League winter break 13:51 - Feb 12 with 1187 viewsGeoffSentence

What a nonsense.

Already they are rescheduling games in the break for games that couldn't be played when the weather was actually bad.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/11/manchester-city-v-west-ham-rear

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The Premier League winter break on 14:33 - Feb 12 with 1122 viewshoppy

The whole 'winter break' idea is a nonsense anyway - we don't have a guaranteed bad weather period here, so it's not often they'd NEED to have a break - should just use an orange ball and sweep the snow off the lines anyway!

I assume the big clubs use this to give their players a good rest, and not to take on lucrative money-making friendlies around the world?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

The Premier League winter break on 14:37 - Feb 12 with 1105 viewsGeoffSentence

The Premier League winter break on 14:33 - Feb 12 by hoppy

The whole 'winter break' idea is a nonsense anyway - we don't have a guaranteed bad weather period here, so it's not often they'd NEED to have a break - should just use an orange ball and sweep the snow off the lines anyway!

I assume the big clubs use this to give their players a good rest, and not to take on lucrative money-making friendlies around the world?

Iindeed and imagine if the weather takes a turn for the worse the week after the break.

Whoops. Longer break than expected and a whole shedload of handwringing about fixture pile ups at the end of the season.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The Premier League winter break on 14:53 - Feb 12 with 1069 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The Premier League winter break on 14:33 - Feb 12 by hoppy

It's a load of BS isn't it.

You can't tell me that there is any difference to a player playing 50 games over 42 weeks and a player playing 50 games over 43 weeks. Absolutely not.

Furthermore, you could just try resting each of your starting 11 in one of these 50 matches across the season and they've had the same break.

The time for this break was in 1981 when we used 14 players and Villa used 13 players and we played 66 matches. Not when you have a squad of 60 bloody players, 30 of whom are internationals!

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

The Premier League winter break on 16:40 - Feb 12 with 980 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The Premier League winter break on 14:53 - Feb 12 by WarkTheWarkITFC

You can't tell me that there is any difference to a player playing 50 games over 42 weeks and a player playing 50 games over 43 weeks. Absolutely not.

Furthermore, you could just try resting each of your starting 11 in one of these 50 matches across the season and they've had the same break.

The time for this break was in 1981 when we used 14 players and Villa used 13 players and we played 66 matches. Not when you have a squad of 60 bloody players, 30 of whom are internationals!

Your second paragraph completely misses the point. The difference is playing games for 42 weeks straight vs c21 weeks straight then getting a small rest period, quite obviously

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The Premier League winter break on 17:34 - Feb 12 with 939 viewsJ2BLUE

The Premier League winter break on 14:53 - Feb 12 by WarkTheWarkITFC

I think it's more something the bigger clubs wanted to help them in Europe.

I don't mind it. Just an extra weekend with football which is fine by me.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The Premier League winter break on 18:19 - Feb 12 with 897 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The Premier League winter break on 16:40 - Feb 12 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Your second paragraph completely misses the point. The difference is playing games for 42 weeks straight vs c21 weeks straight then getting a small rest period, quite obviously

That’s assuming the same players play every game all season.

They don’t. They all get rested for certain matches or are injured and so on. It’s not like the squads can’t absorb testing them for one game in 50 essentially creating the same break.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

The Premier League winter break on 18:44 - Feb 12 with 873 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The Premier League winter break on 18:19 - Feb 12 by WarkTheWarkITFC

That’s assuming the same players play every game all season.

They don’t. They all get rested for certain matches or are injured and so on. It’s not like the squads can’t absorb testing them for one game in 50 essentially creating the same break.

Players at top teams get rested as they regularly end up with 2 games a week. The closest they get to a break of any length when fit is if someone withdraws from international duty - which they then get panned for too

Clubs can of course give players a two week break here and there, but that’s easier said than done as the games come thick and fast and would still be somewhat different to giving everyone a rest in the middle of the season (and directly after the most frantic part of the season to boot)

I’m struggling to see the problem really
[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 18:45]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024