Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thoughts 17:10 - Sep 5 with 1114 viewsunstableblue

A really good performance today in our first real test; a lot of positives. There were passages of passing and attacking play that were a real joy to watch. And that's what Town fans crave and have been starved of for years.

But no time to get carried away, lets build on this.

Bristol Rovers will be lower half of the league this season, as they lack bite up front. But wrong to say they were terrible. And their passing, energy and different formation was at least some test om a competitive game. I believe they put out a near full strength team.

Quite a number of payers really stood out today, I'd say special mentions to Judge, Drinan, Bishop and Ward. Judge showed what he can do, and he ran his socks off today, great distribution, but notably excellent corners.

Chambo, Toto, Sears were also playing well and being effective. Chambo never a right bck, but he was full of energy. Toto was very good in the air today and looked physical. Sears got the goals, and his second was classy.

The Wolf just purred through the game, worried his groin had gone, but he carried on. And he may be a better right back option Chambo, given his cameo at the end.

Ward may well be a very important signing, I was hugely impressed by his composure today- a missing link.

What really was positive today was some of the passages of play from midfield into attack.. Judge, Bishop, Drinan, Nolan, Dozzell and Sears had some passages of play that was of a really high standard and more importantly had forward and attcaking intent. Some of Bishops runs and Dozzells passes excited me.

Noland and Dozzell are enigmas at times, you know the quality is there, but they don't grab their chance, however, overall today I thought they were effective and exciting.

If you added KVY, Downes, Jackson and Norwood into that team, playing like that we will be a threat

Judge, Holy, perhaps cemented a place today. May others are going to give Lambert a headache

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Match thoughts on 17:13 - Sep 5 with 1065 viewsITFC_96

You can't say any players have cemented their places after 1 game really. Judge was poor for most of last season...
Match thoughts on 17:14 - Sep 5 with 1036 viewsstewartm

I did not think Drinnan was nothing special and perhaps a better striker would have had a hatful today, Sears just great but the biggest bonuses was the midfield held its own quite comfortably and the defence was not shaky, do not under estimate this Bristol side (not brilliant) but they had there tails up to start and were slowly passed out of the game! great performance and for me Bishop could be a very good player!

Poll: How long will Lamburke survive this season?

Match thoughts on 17:15 - Sep 5 with 1023 viewsChrisd

A headache, but a good one to have from a manager’s point of view. Good summary though unstableblue.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Match thoughts on 17:23 - Sep 5 with 948 viewsCornishMariner

Ward looks like he will occasionally get out-run but he has that nous that we were missing last year, knowing when to pass and when to just get the ball clear. Chambers seemed to enjoy getting forward (like he did once or twice last year) and the midfield were excellent. Great to see Sears back in the goals.
A word of caution - we won a few games last year by this margin. We will come across teams that punish the defensive errors - at times the right side of defence was left open. Hopefully getting KVY back will help with that.

Poll: Between now and the new season will you mostly be ....

Match thoughts on 17:24 - Sep 5 with 942 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Match thoughts on 17:13 - Sep 5 by ITFC_96

You can't say any players have cemented their places after 1 game really. Judge was poor for most of last season...

According to Lambert, the shirt is yours until you mess up. Very good performance I thought. Papers over the cracks for now. Hopefully this will give the guys a lift and carry it into the league, which is all important. Promotion or bust. Great to be off to a winning start, but time will tell. I feel a lot more optimistic now.
Match thoughts on 17:26 - Sep 5 with 914 viewsITFC_96

Match thoughts on 17:24 - Sep 5 by IpswichBoyBlue

According to Lambert, the shirt is yours until you mess up. Very good performance I thought. Papers over the cracks for now. Hopefully this will give the guys a lift and carry it into the league, which is all important. Promotion or bust. Great to be off to a winning start, but time will tell. I feel a lot more optimistic now.

We have a massive squad, I fully expect a lot of rotation for the season. You can't keep this amount of players happy with their playing time without rotation.
Match thoughts on 17:26 - Sep 5 with 904 viewsTieDyedIn95

Match thoughts on 17:14 - Sep 5 by stewartm

I did not think Drinnan was nothing special and perhaps a better striker would have had a hatful today, Sears just great but the biggest bonuses was the midfield held its own quite comfortably and the defence was not shaky, do not under estimate this Bristol side (not brilliant) but they had there tails up to start and were slowly passed out of the game! great performance and for me Bishop could be a very good player!

He was superb, he nearly scored 2 and made our first goal. Not bad for a competitive debut for ANY player. He works hard, has good technique and is unselfish. We looked worse up top when the big lad came on who has decidedly more third division playing experience.

He wants to play here, unlike some...

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Match thoughts on 17:29 - Sep 5 with 869 viewsstewartm

Match thoughts on 17:26 - Sep 5 by TieDyedIn95

He was superb, he nearly scored 2 and made our first goal. Not bad for a competitive debut for ANY player. He works hard, has good technique and is unselfish. We looked worse up top when the big lad came on who has decidedly more third division playing experience.

I am not saying he was poor and he will make a great striker in time (and will hopefully keep our main striker on his toes) but again a better striker would have scored.....

Poll: How long will Lamburke survive this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Match thoughts on 17:57 - Sep 5 with 737 viewsWickets

Match thoughts on 17:26 - Sep 5 by TieDyedIn95

Agree he had a really good game . I said last week he has done really well and continued that today . Contributed more than Will Keane did most games he played last season .He needs to keep up the hard work of course .
Match thoughts on 18:01 - Sep 5 with 710 viewsVic

Match thoughts on 17:26 - Sep 5 by ITFC_96

We have a massive squad, I fully expect a lot of rotation for the season. You can't keep this amount of players happy with their playing time without rotation.

Then don’t keep them happy! If they are not willing to play their part for the club and only think about themselves I don’t want them here! No player should ever be in the team just to keep them happy!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Match thoughts on 18:15 - Sep 5 with 656 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

Wish I had been there for the Chambo fist pump, pretty sure he would have done a little one to himself wouldn’t he?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024