Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To paraphrase many a TWTD poster, this sounds interesting... 22:51 - Sep 11 with 781 viewsEwan_Oozami

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/sep/06/michael-sandel-the-populist-backla

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

To paraphrase many a TWTD poster, this sounds interesting... on 08:17 - Sep 12 with 666 viewsGuthrum

He makes some very good points, particularly his central theme of society - and its integral cohesion - being sacrificed at the altar of individualism.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

To paraphrase many a TWTD poster, this sounds interesting... on 09:18 - Sep 12 with 634 viewsDarth_Koont

Sounds very interesting with regard to the failings of the Democrats and New Labour. But would be good to get a less anglo-american take on it.

The so-called centre-left or liberal-left in the UK and US he's talking about is pretty much to the centre and even leaning a little right. Hence the resulting focus on liberty and individualism rather than the focus on equality and justice that you see from genuine left-leaning parties.

But yes, that approach has left rather too many people behind in both countries and a fertile ground for the Trumps and Farages of this world.

Pronouns: He/Him

To paraphrase many a TWTD poster, this sounds interesting... on 11:00 - Sep 12 with 595 viewsHarry_Palmer

Interesting read, thanks.

I do like this. I think many of us would benefit from adopting a more tolerant approach to different viewpoints, and dropping the need to always be 'right'..

"it is that early encounter with Reagan that has begun to play on his mind. “It taught me a lot about the importance of the ability to listen attentively,” he says, “which matters as much as the rigours of the argument."
To paraphrase many a TWTD poster, this sounds interesting... on 11:17 - Sep 12 with 579 viewsHerbivore

To paraphrase many a TWTD poster, this sounds interesting... on 09:18 - Sep 12 by Darth_Koont

Sounds very interesting with regard to the failings of the Democrats and New Labour. But would be good to get a less anglo-american take on it.

The so-called centre-left or liberal-left in the UK and US he's talking about is pretty much to the centre and even leaning a little right. Hence the resulting focus on liberty and individualism rather than the focus on equality and justice that you see from genuine left-leaning parties.

But yes, that approach has left rather too many people behind in both countries and a fertile ground for the Trumps and Farages of this world.

Indeed, he seems to be describing a fairly classic form of liberalism, which is generally considered to be a centre or just right of centre ideology and not to the left. The left tend to think that there needs to be substantive equality rather than the vague equality of opportunity that fails to recognise how structural inequality fundamentally undermines such an ideal. It is a bit troubling when ideologies like liberalism are being viewed as to the left, it serves to highlight just how far our politics has lurched to the right.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

To paraphrase many a TWTD poster, this sounds interesting... on 11:23 - Sep 12 with 571 viewsDarth_Koont

To paraphrase many a TWTD poster, this sounds interesting... on 11:17 - Sep 12 by Herbivore

Indeed, he seems to be describing a fairly classic form of liberalism, which is generally considered to be a centre or just right of centre ideology and not to the left. The left tend to think that there needs to be substantive equality rather than the vague equality of opportunity that fails to recognise how structural inequality fundamentally undermines such an ideal. It is a bit troubling when ideologies like liberalism are being viewed as to the left, it serves to highlight just how far our politics has lurched to the right.

This x 100.

Pronouns: He/Him

To paraphrase many a TWTD poster, this sounds interesting... on 11:23 - Sep 12 with 573 viewsBlueBadger

To paraphrase many a TWTD poster, this sounds interesting... on 11:00 - Sep 12 by Harry_Palmer

Interesting read, thanks.

I do like this. I think many of us would benefit from adopting a more tolerant approach to different viewpoints, and dropping the need to always be 'right'..

"it is that early encounter with Reagan that has begun to play on his mind. “It taught me a lot about the importance of the ability to listen attentively,” he says, “which matters as much as the rigours of the argument."

You're welcome to whatever ludicrous opinions you like, it's just if they're ludicrous, people *will* point that out. Usually with evidence.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

To paraphrase many a TWTD poster, this sounds interesting... on 12:30 - Sep 12 with 532 viewsHarry_Palmer

To paraphrase many a TWTD poster, this sounds interesting... on 11:23 - Sep 12 by BlueBadger

You're welcome to whatever ludicrous opinions you like, it's just if they're ludicrous, people *will* point that out. Usually with evidence.

No problem with that Mr Badger, works both ways of course and in fact I did the very thing you describe yesterday ( without going as far as calling other peoples views ludicrous ).

I believe I actually had a rare up vote from you this week as well so I must be moving in the right direction!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024