Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some brighter news amidst the gloom 17:06 - Oct 7 with 1862 viewsDarth_Koont

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54446285

Always good to know that in a time where many thousands of smaller companies are going to the wall, millions of workers are losing their jobs and/or livelihoods and billions of taxpayers are going to be asked to pay the costs, that a few thousand super-wealthy people have significantly added to their obscene personal wealth.

Obviously, a lot of executives, politicians and other servants will be duly compensated but can anyone outside of that gravy train explain why this is the status quo we are defending?

Capitalism was never about creating wealth per se. But that’s the bit that now works unfailingly, while investing in the means of production has been outsourced to society.

Pronouns: He/Him

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 18:18 - Oct 7 with 1093 viewshampstead_blue

It's good to know that the businesses these super rich people run and have created have bought so many jobs and have shared so much wealth.

What about the normal people who have made good money?
Lots of investment funds have done really well. One of my funds in my SIPP has risen 12% in the past couple of months. Allianz Technology Trust. Happy to share that tip.

These people are important. Dyson has just had his degree at the Dyson Uni signed-off. That's incredible.
Amazon have created loads of jobs in the UK. Not all are minimum wage. They are also massive employers of veterans into management roles.

Loads of good news in that story.

Ok a few at the top get richer but the wealth they create is also wonderful.
We should be thankful capitalism allows such wealth to be created and that there are entrepreneurs who feel they will be suitably rewarded and encouraged to build something special.

Good article and thanks for sharing it.

I do disagree with your premise, but that's Ok we can all get along.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 18:22 - Oct 7 with 1085 viewsSpruceMoose

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 18:18 - Oct 7 by hampstead_blue

It's good to know that the businesses these super rich people run and have created have bought so many jobs and have shared so much wealth.

Lots of investment funds have done really well. One of my funds in my SIPP has risen 12% in the past couple of months. Allianz Technology Trust. Happy to share that tip.

These people are important. Dyson has just had his degree at the Dyson Uni signed-off. That's incredible.
Amazon have created loads of jobs in the UK. Not all are minimum wage. They are also massive employers of veterans into management roles.

We should be thankful capitalism allows such wealth to be created and that there are entrepreneurs who feel they will be suitably rewarded and encouraged to build something special.

Yo brother, the 80s called. They want your cocaine sprinkled trickle down economics audiobook back.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2020 18:39]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 18:31 - Oct 7 with 1066 viewshampstead_blue

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 18:22 - Oct 7 by SpruceMoose

Yo brother, the 80s called. They want your cocaine sprinkled trickle down economics audiobook back.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2020 18:39]

You need to go back and re-read. At no point was trickle down mentioned.
They create wealth through great jobs, shares that grow, and radically changing markets.

Try harder with your next insult

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 18:33 - Oct 7 with 1068 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'm not sure than many normal people have SIPPs.

A couple of years old now, but there are tens of thousands of people in work who can't find anywhere to live other than temporary sheltered accommodation or friend's sofas.
https://england.shelter.org.uk/professional_resources/policy_and_research/policy

That's on top of the millions who don't have work. Granted official jobless figures were good before the pandemic hit, but that still millions of people for who this trickle down approach ignores.

I don't claim to know the answers mind. And yes job creation is obviously important.

(Minor point - Amazon are complete a-holes to work for. They treat their staff like sh*t. Based on my 'study' of the few I've met who've worked in the Swansea warehouse :) ).
[Post edited 7 Oct 2020 18:37]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 18:38 - Oct 7 with 1050 viewsSpruceMoose

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 18:31 - Oct 7 by hampstead_blue

They create wealth through great jobs, shares that grow, and radically changing markets.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 18:50 - Oct 7 with 1030 viewsDanTheMan

"Ok a few at the top get richer but the wealth they create is also wonderful."

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 18:56 - Oct 7 with 1019 viewsDanTheMan

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 18:33 - Oct 7 by Swansea_Blue

A couple of years old now, but there are tens of thousands of people in work who can't find anywhere to live other than temporary sheltered accommodation or friend's sofas.
https://england.shelter.org.uk/professional_resources/policy_and_research/policy

That's on top of the millions who don't have work. Granted official jobless figures were good before the pandemic hit, but that still millions of people for who this trickle down approach ignores.

I don't claim to know the answers mind. And yes job creation is obviously important.

(Minor point - Amazon are complete a-holes to work for. They treat their staff like sh*t. Based on my 'study' of the few I've met who've worked in the Swansea warehouse :) ).

Amazon is basically only good to work for if you're not one of those at the bottom. If you're an engineer it's supposed to be great but I imagine the warehouse workers are incredibly poorly treated.

See the Tim Bray articles for more on this:
https://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/202x/2020/04/29/Leaving-Amazon
https://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/202x/2020/07/23/Not-an-Amazon-Problem

My favourite part of those blogs:
That struggle story – Man against company, or Man against Billionaire – is a crowd-pleaser. The actual struggle that interests me is against the current horrifying imbalance in global power and wealth, which is kind of abstract, doesn’t have a chiseled cartoon-villain billionaire in the cast, and is frighteningly large in scale.

Seriously; basically every reporter I’ve talked to has tried to get me to say awful things about Amazon and in particular about Jeff Bezos. But at my last job they taught me to think big and, with all his billions, Jeff is rounding error in the big picture. He’s not the problem; the legal/regulatory power structures that enable him and his peers is.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2020 19:00]

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:05 - Oct 7 with 998 viewshampstead_blue

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 18:33 - Oct 7 by Swansea_Blue

A SIPP can be opened with £1,000. If you've a few old pensions it's easy and a very good idea to open a SIPP.

AJ Bell are good. I'm with ii.

It's something which should be normal as it gives people access to lower charges and broader investment choice.

The OP.
I get it that there is poverty, I was celebrating the success of these people and the facts that they have created thousands of jobs on a global basis.
Those jobs create wealth and give people incomes.

It's boring when the same few posters just throw mud at success and don't tip their hats.

Dyson is a legend. Bezos the same.

The huge benefits we all get just because of Bezos is immense. We shop for less and get access to products we'd never otherwise see or know about.

I'm chuffed they are wealthy as we all benefit from it.

I've never worked for Amazon so really cannot comment. I also know there are cruddy employers in every corner of every town.

Let's celebrate their unbelievable wealth!

Login to get fewer ads

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:09 - Oct 7 with 992 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

"Healthcare billionaires also benefited as the crisis put drug makers and medical device companies in the spotlight."

I understand a Pest Control company, a couple of Finance Advisory companies, the odd dormant company and a friend or two of Cummings have done fairly well out of this "medical device" market too.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:23 - Oct 7 with 956 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 18:31 - Oct 7 by hampstead_blue

You may not have called it trickle-down economics but the idea that the rich getting richer benefits anyone beyond themselves is trickle-down economics. Of course, if they run businesses that treat their employees well and their increased wealth is invested into expanding those businesses and continuing to treat their employees well, that would benefit others. However, that is the exception rather than the rule among the richest. Far too many increase their wealth share through the exact opposite of that.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:25 - Oct 7 with 948 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:05 - Oct 7 by hampstead_blue

A SIPP can be opened with £1,000. If you've a few old pensions it's easy and a very good idea to open a SIPP.

It's something which should be normal as it gives people access to lower charges and broader investment choice.

The OP.
I get it that there is poverty, I was celebrating the success of these people and the facts that they have created thousands of jobs on a global basis.

It's boring when the same few posters just throw mud at success and don't tip their hats.

The huge benefits we all get just because of Bezos is immense. We shop for less and get access to products we'd never otherwise see or know about.

I've never worked for Amazon so really cannot comment. I also know there are cruddy employers in every corner of every town.

And here is the thing. You honestly think most people have £1000 to invest.

While many people may do, there are a lot of people who do not and probably never will.

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:26 - Oct 7 with 939 viewsSpruceMoose

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:23 - Oct 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

You may not have called it trickle-down economics but the idea that the rich getting richer benefits anyone beyond themselves is trickle-down economics. Of course, if they run businesses that treat their employees well and their increased wealth is invested into expanding those businesses and continuing to treat their employees well, that would benefit others. However, that is the exception rather than the rule among the richest. Far too many increase their wealth share through the exact opposite of that.

He knows that. He's just weaseling out of it again. He does it every time he gets some pushback over one of his ridiculous posts. He doesn't even have the courage to stand up for his own opinions.

Which is why I didn't bother giving him a serious reply.

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:38 - Oct 7 with 917 viewsjeera

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:05 - Oct 7 by hampstead_blue

The OP.

That these corporation exist in the guise that they do and how they are treated differently means thousands of other business cannot compete.

They haven't created that wealth, much of it would exist anyway, it's just ended up in their pockets instead of being more evenly distributed.

As for your current avatar, it doesn't work.

The money the incumbents have wasted so far this year, who do you think will have to pay for that?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:39 - Oct 7 with 914 viewshampstead_blue

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:23 - Oct 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

You and the moose have misunderstood the post.

I'm saying they are wealth creators. Not that their wealth trickles down.

They create jobs, wealth, and so much more besides. That's my point. I've never said trickle down works because it doesn't.

Ignore the moose he only ever throws insults via a serious lack of an ability to read english. He's a troll. Don't worry about him.

These super rich are changing the way the world works. Driving innovation and creation. They are cool.

I really don't care how much money they have as it's the jobs they create and changes they drive which makes a difference to the most.

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:41 - Oct 7 with 908 viewshampstead_blue

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:25 - Oct 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

And here is the thing. You honestly think most people have £1000 to invest.

While many people may do, there are a lot of people who do not and probably never will.

99% of people have much more than that invested in their pension.

All you need to do is make it work harder by transferring into a SIPP for lower charges and a broader investment choice.
It's all invested money so please don't think I am trying to et final salary pension holders to opt out. I'm not.

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:43 - Oct 7 with 905 viewsSpruceMoose

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:39 - Oct 7 by hampstead_blue

They create jobs, wealth, and so much more besides. That's my point. I've never said trickle down works because it doesn't.

Ignore the moose he only ever throws insults via a serious lack of an ability to read english. He's a troll. Don't worry about him.

These super rich are changing the way the world works. Driving innovation and creation. They are cool.

I really don't care how much money they have as it's the jobs they create and changes they drive which makes a difference to the most.

Of course. Like always it is other people not understanding words and it is in no way you who is having the massive failure of comprehension.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2020 19:45]

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:45 - Oct 7 with 900 viewsjeera

They are not wealth creators.

Unless they are literally printing money they are not creating anything, they are simply directing wealth towards themselves.

There is only so much money to go around, and if one person is sitting on a large percentage of it without redistributing, that means a bunch of other people are going without.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:46 - Oct 7 with 891 viewsSpruceMoose

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:45 - Oct 7 by jeera

They are not wealth creators.

Unless they are literally printing money they are not creating anything, they are simply directing wealth towards themselves.

There is only so much money to go around, and if one person is sitting on a large percentage of it without redistributing, that means a bunch of other people are going without.

Yeah but you're just a radical Marxist Jeera.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2020 19:47]

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:47 - Oct 7 with 890 viewshampstead_blue

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:43 - Oct 7 by SpruceMoose

Of course. Like always it is other people not understanding words and it is in no way you who is having the massive failure of comprehension.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2020 19:45]

Read it you prat!

If you can't read english then go away and learn the darn language. I am not responsible for your lack of understanding.

https://read.amazon.co.uk/kp/embed?asin=B002W83E7E&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&r

Try that

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:48 - Oct 7 with 884 viewsSpruceMoose

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:47 - Oct 7 by hampstead_blue

Read it you prat!

If you can't read english then go away and learn the darn language. I am not responsible for your lack of understanding.

https://read.amazon.co.uk/kp/embed?asin=B002W83E7E&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&r

Try that

Have you got it on Audiobook?

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:53 - Oct 7 with 871 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Then you entirely misunderstand wealth.

Wealth is ultimately about resources. There is a finite amount of resources on planet Earth. Distribution of wealth is about who has most of those resources. They have not "created wealth" as much as taken more than the average share of the resources. Of course, that may have come in part from them coming up with wonderful ways of accessing the resources to the benefit of others as well as themselves. However, in the most part it hasn't.

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:53 - Oct 7 with 870 viewsDanTheMan

We had innovation and creation without the super rich, they are not a prerequisite. The internet you are using at the moment was not developed by the super rich.

Here's an example.

Every day you use software written by people who did things completely for free, for absolutely no financial reward.

Google was originally written in two open source programming languages, although a gigantic corporation managed to stifle the innovation of one of them for a good decade.

The world's most used operating system, that runs the of most of the internet, was written by volunteers for the most part.

The ultra-rich are not a necessity for job creation any more than feudal lords were. Nor are they a necessary part of innovation.

The thing that people have a problem with is that these people get obscenely wealthy off the expense of others.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 7:51]

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:56 - Oct 7 with 863 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:41 - Oct 7 by hampstead_blue

99% of people have much more than that invested in their pension.

All you need to do is make it work harder by transferring into a SIPP for lower charges and a broader investment choice.
It's all invested money so please don't think I am trying to et final salary pension holders to opt out. I'm not.

I doubt 99% of people have that invested in a pension that can be transferred into a different type of investment product. I may be wrong because it is not my area of expertise but thanks to the tax rules on payment into pensions it is unlikely to be anything like as straightforward as that.

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 20:00 - Oct 7 with 851 viewshampstead_blue

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 19:56 - Oct 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

I doubt 99% of people have that invested in a pension that can be transferred into a different type of investment product. I may be wrong because it is not my area of expertise but thanks to the tax rules on payment into pensions it is unlikely to be anything like as straightforward as that.

In the nicest possible way you are incorrect.
Not one for this thread but I do know this area well. I helped Pension Wise with their process and guidance.

Another time maybe.

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 20:02 - Oct 7 with 845 viewsSpruceMoose

Some brighter news amidst the gloom on 20:00 - Oct 7 by hampstead_blue

In the nicest possible way you are incorrect.
Not one for this thread but I do know this area well. I helped Pension Wise with their process and guidance.

Another time maybe.

Note to self - avoid following any Pension Wise advice.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024