Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not beating teams above us 09:37 - Nov 3 with 423 viewsmonty_radio

“I think every game is [a big test],” he said. [The Crewe game] was a test, every game we play is. The name and the stature of the club doesn’t really count, it’s what happens on the grass, that’s evident. You can be a big club in name but you have to play on the grass."
TWTD

I know that managers resort to a sort of microphone corporate-speak when confronted with awkward stats such as our securing only 2 wins against the top ten last year, but it can't help if that's as far as they go with the players too. Many might choose to conclude that P.L. would play it straighter behind closed doors, but I somehow doubt that the constant drone of "taking each game as it comes" would galvanise a team that clearly has a problem when confronted with a tough fixture.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Not beating teams above us on 10:20 - Nov 3 with 349 viewsChrisd

We're a big club based on historical achievement, we aren't a club to be feared these days. The Crewe manager's comments prior to Saturday's game was testimony to that, so if they think that then you've got to believe the majority of clubs do in L1. Whether it is PL's fault, the depth of quality in our squad or the mentality of our own players going into this game against Sunderland, something isn't right when you see a record of just 2 wins from 20 games against the top 8. It's these types of games and their outcomes that will define our season and ultimately impact on where we finish, not consistently beating the bottom 6.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2020 10:28]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Not beating teams above us on 10:21 - Nov 3 with 342 viewsBloomBlue

It works for Klopp
Not beating teams above us on 10:28 - Nov 3 with 327 viewsOldsmoker

My concern is that every time the other team scores first, we never get anything from the game.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Not beating teams above us on 10:32 - Nov 3 with 312 viewsChrisd

Not beating teams above us on 10:28 - Nov 3 by Oldsmoker

My concern is that every time the other team scores first, we never get anything from the game.

I'm with you on this Oldsmoker. It's funny as I had put that ill feeling to bed after the season finished and then the Doncaster game came around and as soon as we went 2-1 behind I had those thoughts creeping back in, 'That's it, game over!' Then that was compounded by the Lincoln defeat.

Not beating teams above us on 10:34 - Nov 3 with 308 viewsSomethingBlue

Not beating teams above us on 10:20 - Nov 3 by Chrisd

We're a big club based on historical achievement, we aren't a club to be feared these days. The Crewe manager's comments prior to Saturday's game was testimony to that, so if they think that then you've got to believe the majority of clubs do in L1. Whether it is PL's fault, the depth of quality in our squad or the mentality of our own players going into this game against Sunderland, something isn't right when you see a record of just 2 wins from 20 games against the top 8. It's these types of games and their outcomes that will define our season and ultimately impact on where we finish, not consistently beating the bottom 6.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2020 10:28]

It's a not a good record. But re the Crewe manager's comments about us not being Barcelona or whatever — I don't think he was making a point about Town specifically. Why would you go to any club in this division and not feel you could win, if you were Crewe?

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Not beating teams above us on 10:38 - Nov 3 with 298 viewsmonty_radio

Not beating teams above us on 10:21 - Nov 3 by BloomBlue

It works for Klopp

He doesn't reguarly have 10 teams above him.

Not beating teams above us on 10:38 - Nov 3 with 299 viewsChrisd

Not beating teams above us on 10:34 - Nov 3 by SomethingBlue

It's a not a good record. But re the Crewe manager's comments about us not being Barcelona or whatever — I don't think he was making a point about Town specifically. Why would you go to any club in this division and not feel you could win, if you were Crewe?

It's certainly a good attitude to have and one to be admired. In all honesty, I don't think we have that mentality at our own club currently, even though we sit in 2nd place. I wonder how many from our coaching staff and squad genuinely believe we can win at Sunderland tonight?

Not beating teams above us on 10:41 - Nov 3 with 290 viewsSomethingBlue

Not beating teams above us on 10:38 - Nov 3 by Chrisd

It's certainly a good attitude to have and one to be admired. In all honesty, I don't think we have that mentality at our own club currently, even though we sit in 2nd place. I wonder how many from our coaching staff and squad genuinely believe we can win at Sunderland tonight?

Probably all of them to be honest.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Not beating teams above us on 10:45 - Nov 3 with 282 viewsmonty_radio

Not beating teams above us on 10:38 - Nov 3 by Chrisd

I think that's what troubles me too. It may be that we're just not good enough, yet there can't be many mid-table L1 sides who never beat a top six side. The message that we're playing well when we aren't certainly won't fool Chambo etc, but just how capable are that management team of turning tiger in the dressing room?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024