Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well Done Blue Action 13:57 - Nov 8 with 1448 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Well Done Blue Action on 14:05 - Nov 8 with 1396 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I mean, it's nice enough, I just don't see what it's got to do with football. Being stuck on the side of ITFC just makes me think 'lest we forget how good Town used to be.'

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Well Done Blue Action on 14:22 - Nov 8 with 1304 viewsWD19

Well Done Blue Action on 14:05 - Nov 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

I mean, it's nice enough, I just don't see what it's got to do with football. Being stuck on the side of ITFC just makes me think 'lest we forget how good Town used to be.'

I think you will find it is actually a tribute to the Drum & Monkey.
Well Done Blue Action on 15:03 - Nov 8 with 1193 viewsBlueBadger

BLM, or the gay rights movement don't have over-much to do with ITFC either.
The club, with officially and unofficially through fan groups, etc tend to acknowledge them as well. Ultimately, it's no different to that.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Well Done Blue Action on 15:41 - Nov 8 with 1132 viewsGuthrum

Football clubs are encapsulations of their communities. Those communities which contributed large numbers of young men to fight in the World Wars. Plus, of course, Ipswich and its docks were subject to bombing by the Germans.

Not to mention a former Chairman (Ivan, father of Mr John and Mr Patrick) of the club who was wounded in the First World War and killed in the Second.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2020 15:42]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Well Done Blue Action on 16:17 - Nov 8 with 1033 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well Done Blue Action on 15:41 - Nov 8 by Guthrum

Football clubs are encapsulations of their communities. Those communities which contributed large numbers of young men to fight in the World Wars. Plus, of course, Ipswich and its docks were subject to bombing by the Germans.

Not to mention a former Chairman (Ivan, father of Mr John and Mr Patrick) of the club who was wounded in the First World War and killed in the Second.

I've got no problem with it, just seems a bit odd to me. A banner in the town centre for the whole community makes sense, but Ipswich fans making one to stick onto the side of the football ground, where presumably not that many go now, I dunno, I'm not quite getting it.

I think a former chairman being wounded in one war and killed in another is a rather tenuous link, given that many businesses and individuals will also have relatives who were injured or died in the wars.

I'm all for Remembrance and find the last post very moving when played to a packed stadium, so I'm not sure why this seems as bit weird... and I don't seem to be able to express it very well either.

Well Done Blue Action on 16:20 - Nov 8 with 1026 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well Done Blue Action on 15:03 - Nov 8 by BlueBadger

BLM, or the gay rights movement don't have over-much to do with ITFC either.
The club, with officially and unofficially through fan groups, etc tend to acknowledge them as well. Ultimately, it's no different to that.

Yeah I take your point. Maybe it's the fact that there's no-one at the ground these days and this has mostly been done to be viewed on twitter is why it seems weird to me. I dunno, it just feels a bit odd and I can't seem to put into words why.

Well Done Blue Action on 16:52 - Nov 8 with 950 viewsClapham_Junction

Well Done Blue Action on 15:41 - Nov 8 by Guthrum

Ipswich was the last place in the UK to be hit by a German bomb during WWII - Seymour Road in March 1945. Kind of surprised there is nothing there to mark that (or at least there wasn't when I used to live on the road).

Well Done Blue Action on 17:05 - Nov 8 with 901 viewsDubtractor

Well Done Blue Action on 16:52 - Nov 8 by Clapham_Junction

Ipswich was the last place in the UK to be hit by a German bomb during WWII - Seymour Road in March 1945. Kind of surprised there is nothing there to mark that (or at least there wasn't when I used to live on the road).

An episode of Only Fools and Horses was filmed on Seymour Road too.

Quite the history!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

Well Done Blue Action on 17:33 - Nov 8 with 829 viewsvapour_trail

Well Done Blue Action on 16:52 - Nov 8 by Clapham_Junction

I’d never heard that before.

I live on the south coast and my town is littered with tributes and poignant reminders of the loss of both bombs onto the town that killed hundreds, and the soldiers that passed through it that were not to return.

I’d agree with you, a reminder at the site feels appropriate. They make you stop and think.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Well Done Blue Action on 17:48 - Nov 8 with 791 viewsJ2BLUE

Well Done Blue Action on 16:20 - Nov 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yeah I take your point. Maybe it's the fact that there's no-one at the ground these days and this has mostly been done to be viewed on twitter is why it seems weird to me. I dunno, it just feels a bit odd and I can't seem to put into words why.

I think they are just trying to represent the club. I can't imagine many neutrals watched Ipswich vs Portsmouth so it's just something to show the football world we care. I like it. Nice and understated.

Also, it's reusable (I assume) so I would imagine we will see that banner in future years hopefully hung up in a crowded PR.

Well done BA.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Well Done Blue Action on 18:08 - Nov 8 with 753 viewsjeera

Well Done Blue Action on 17:48 - Nov 8 by J2BLUE

I think they are just trying to represent the club. I can't imagine many neutrals watched Ipswich vs Portsmouth so it's just something to show the football world we care. I like it. Nice and understated.

Also, it's reusable (I assume) so I would imagine we will see that banner in future years hopefully hung up in a crowded PR.

Well done BA.

I agree for what it's worth.

It's in the right context, no frills, no attempt at a football connection on the banner.

Just a simple, respectful reminder.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Well Done Blue Action on 18:14 - Nov 8 with 733 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well Done Blue Action on 18:08 - Nov 8 by jeera

I agree for what it's worth.

It's in the right context, no frills, no attempt at a football connection on the banner.

Just a simple, respectful reminder.

yep, good points both.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024