Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Familiar frustrations. 10:22 - Dec 23 with 1602 viewscatch74

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

The real source of this frustrating tendency on 11:15 - Dec 23 with 1496 viewsGuthrum

is the way that passing is conducted. Players are stationary and looking towards the player from whom they are receiving the ball. Thus when it arrives, they are facing backwards, in the direction of their own goal.

This then leaves them with the problem of making a turn, possibly under pressure, or they have to start moving straight ahead - which is rearwards in pitch terms - to get some momentum. Doesn't take many paces to lose what positional advantage might have been gained by the pass. Options also contract to just defenders or the 'keeper.

You can see why it's done that way. Putting a pass in front of someone to run onto also risks losing the ball to an alert opposition. It's less "controlled". Requires more flow, mutual understanding and instinct. It's not that we can't do it. I've seen the team put together some lovely sequences of play, interchanging passes and breaking through defences. But a lot of the time it's too slow and deliberate. Too cautious.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The real source of this frustrating tendency on 11:55 - Dec 23 with 1431 viewsCoco

The real source of this frustrating tendency on 11:15 - Dec 23 by Guthrum

is the way that passing is conducted. Players are stationary and looking towards the player from whom they are receiving the ball. Thus when it arrives, they are facing backwards, in the direction of their own goal.

This then leaves them with the problem of making a turn, possibly under pressure, or they have to start moving straight ahead - which is rearwards in pitch terms - to get some momentum. Doesn't take many paces to lose what positional advantage might have been gained by the pass. Options also contract to just defenders or the 'keeper.

You can see why it's done that way. Putting a pass in front of someone to run onto also risks losing the ball to an alert opposition. It's less "controlled". Requires more flow, mutual understanding and instinct. It's not that we can't do it. I've seen the team put together some lovely sequences of play, interchanging passes and breaking through defences. But a lot of the time it's too slow and deliberate. Too cautious.

he was running on to the ball, with momentum and facing forwards?

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Familiar frustrations. on 11:56 - Dec 23 with 1428 viewsJakeITFC

All about confidence.
Familiar frustrations. on 12:15 - Dec 23 with 1401 viewsChrisd

Not just Arsenal, we could probably look a little closer to home too. He's got 4 Arsenal players ahead of him on the break, soon as he turns back it loses all it's attacking intent and allows Man City to get back in their defensive positions. Although modern football has improved the game hugely, there are some aspects that have restricted it's growth....this being a case in point. Passing for passing sake, it's the flavour of the month due to Pep, but it certainly helps when you've got the depth and quality of squad he's managing on a daily basis. Not all teams are blessed with this same level of quality and confidence on the ball, however much you'd like them to be.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2020 12:19]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The real source of this frustrating tendency on 13:59 - Dec 23 with 1289 viewsGuthrum

The real source of this frustrating tendency on 11:55 - Dec 23 by Coco

he was running on to the ball, with momentum and facing forwards?

Sorry, was making more of a general point. With particular reference to ITFC.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The real source of this frustrating tendency on 14:23 - Dec 23 with 1255 viewsStenvict

The real source of this frustrating tendency on 11:15 - Dec 23 by Guthrum

With regards to the pass in front of the player, this is the most frustrating thing for me watching Town. It's always ball to feet as our players are stationery. We try to pass it around the opposition rather than through them, which makes it slow and ponderous.

As for Arsenal, they have one of best passers and assisters in world football not included in the squad that could make a huge difference.

Poll: What will be announced first?

The real source of this frustrating tendency on 15:30 - Dec 23 with 1191 viewsGarv

The real source of this frustrating tendency on 14:23 - Dec 23 by Stenvict

With regards to the pass in front of the player, this is the most frustrating thing for me watching Town. It's always ball to feet as our players are stationery. We try to pass it around the opposition rather than through them, which makes it slow and ponderous.

As for Arsenal, they have one of best passers and assisters in world football not included in the squad that could make a huge difference.

I think the problem is we only have a limited number of players who can do it, e,g Dozzell, who does do it regularly to be fair, and Bishop.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

The real source of this frustrating tendency on 15:50 - Dec 23 with 1148 viewsStenvict

The real source of this frustrating tendency on 15:30 - Dec 23 by Garv

I think the problem is we only have a limited number of players who can do it, e,g Dozzell, who does do it regularly to be fair, and Bishop.

This also the issue. Our recruitment is so poor, we just go for 'solid' individuals. We are desperate for a bit of flair.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Login to get fewer ads

Familiar frustrations. on 15:52 - Dec 23 with 1132 viewshoppy

He's just an Alan Judge/Jon Nolan wannabe...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Familiar frustrations. on 22:04 - Dec 23 with 975 viewsMelford

I used to watch AFTV for a laugh, seeing them all go mental after every defeat but over the last couple of years I have a lot more sympathy and see a lot of similarities in the two clubs.

Rich but clueless owner who has sucked the life out the club over a decade and more of slow decline, disastrous last couple of managerial appointments. You listen to them talk about Wenger, Emery, Kronke and Arteta and if you changed it to Mick, Hurst, Evans and Lambert a lot of what they say would apply to us.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024