Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One for the oldies 14:55 - Dec 28 with 2086 viewsgtsb1966

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/ipswich-supporters-swarm-the-pit
One for the oldies on 15:03 - Dec 28 with 1617 viewsmonty_radio

Actually, far from swarming the pitch, that match remains for me the only game ever where I had to climb backwards over the turnstiles to get out. If you weren't bothered about catching an early train back, then a pitch invasion was the obvious way to stretch legs that had gone numb in the packed stadium.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

One for the oldies on 15:17 - Dec 28 with 1561 viewsPJH

That's not old, it is less than 50 years ago.

Went by special train to that one, just remember a walk across a park or something from the station to the ground.
One for the oldies on 15:21 - Dec 28 with 1556 viewsRadlett_blue

One for the oldies on 15:03 - Dec 28 by monty_radio

Actually, far from swarming the pitch, that match remains for me the only game ever where I had to climb backwards over the turnstiles to get out. If you weren't bothered about catching an early train back, then a pitch invasion was the obvious way to stretch legs that had gone numb in the packed stadium.

Not Ipswich Town's finest hour. Their wannabee hooligans enjoyed kicking the few locals out of their covered end & then ransacked Woolworths on the way back to the station.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

One for the oldies on 15:28 - Dec 28 with 1516 viewsgtsb1966

One for the oldies on 15:03 - Dec 28 by monty_radio

15,000 crowd. You must've felt like sardines in there.
https://www.chelmsfordcityfc.com/news/throwbackthursday-a-series-of-clarets-play
One for the oldies on 15:33 - Dec 28 with 1505 viewsgainsboroughblue

One for the oldies on 15:21 - Dec 28 by Radlett_blue

Not Ipswich Town's finest hour. Their wannabee hooligans enjoyed kicking the few locals out of their covered end & then ransacked Woolworths on the way back to the station.

Seen several pictures of this day over the years. Mainly crowd trouble shots in and around New Writtle Street. I have seen the highlights somewhere as well, probably you tube, bizarrely half of it in black and white.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

One for the oldies on 15:37 - Dec 28 with 1487 viewsPJH

One for the oldies on 15:28 - Dec 28 by gtsb1966

15,000 crowd. You must've felt like sardines in there.
https://www.chelmsfordcityfc.com/news/throwbackthursday-a-series-of-clarets-play

I do remember it being a bit cramped in there.

John Peddelty debut for us.

Best, Mills, Harper, Morris, Hunter, Peddelty, Hamilton, Viljoen, Johnson, Whymark, Lambert.

The team in 1-11 order.
One for the oldies on 15:41 - Dec 28 with 1468 viewsjeera

One for the oldies on 15:17 - Dec 28 by PJH

Went by special train to that one, just remember a walk across a park or something from the station to the ground.

"Special" train.

Electric?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

One for the oldies on 15:43 - Dec 28 with 1461 viewsgtsb1966

One for the oldies on 15:41 - Dec 28 by jeera

"Special" train.

Electric?

The blue arrow was the name for the train service if my memory serves me correct.
Login to get fewer ads

One for the oldies on 15:44 - Dec 28 with 1452 viewsgainsboroughblue

One for the oldies on 15:43 - Dec 28 by gtsb1966

The blue arrow was the name for the train service if my memory serves me correct.

Anyone remember using the Persil tickets?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

One for the oldies on 15:47 - Dec 28 with 1442 viewsjeera

Oh I see.

I wondered if, to our friend PJH, because he couldn't spot any steam, it might have seemed magical at the time.

One for the oldies on 15:47 - Dec 28 with 1438 viewsBloomBlue

Not sure if Bay City Rollers fashion influenced Town fans or Town fans fashion influenced Bay City Rollers
One for the oldies on 15:49 - Dec 28 with 1428 viewsjeera

One for the oldies on 15:47 - Dec 28 by BloomBlue

Not sure if Bay City Rollers fashion influenced Town fans or Town fans fashion influenced Bay City Rollers

There's some serious slacks going on there!

One for the oldies on 15:56 - Dec 28 with 1399 viewsgtsb1966

One for the oldies on 15:47 - Dec 28 by BloomBlue

The bloke in the middle was either a painter and decorator or he hangs his trousers out to dry on a bird table.
One for the oldies on 16:02 - Dec 28 with 1372 viewsbluefunk

I have a vague recollection that pitch invasion was at half time - none of the crowd in the background look like they’re leaving
One for the oldies on 16:04 - Dec 28 with 1351 viewsbluefunk

It was a walk through the park, then across a footbridge into New Writtle Street, there’s now a Virgin gym where the ground used to be
One for the oldies on 16:18 - Dec 28 with 1302 viewsbackwaywhen

Went by coach from Safe Harbour , 52 seater only 12 came back , rest got nicked .
One for the oldies on 16:36 - Dec 28 with 1235 viewsPJH

The Blue Arrow was the train run by the supporters club and I went on several of those but they were only run about 5 or 6 times a season, maybe less. Had piped music and interviews etc played through the carriages.

The train to Chelmsford was 'special' as in it being an extra train put on by British Rail rather than a normal service train-certainly not Blue Arrow.
One for the oldies on 16:38 - Dec 28 with 1230 viewsPJH

One for the oldies on 15:47 - Dec 28 by jeera

Oh I see.

I wondered if, to our friend PJH, because he couldn't spot any steam, it might have seemed magical at the time.

No, special as in non service train.

It had doors and windows and all sorts of things.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 16:38]
One for the oldies on 16:39 - Dec 28 with 1228 viewsoldburian

It was my first move away from Suffolk and I was working at County Hall Chelmsford. The relief at winning and avoiding the total p*ss take on the Monday was monumental.
When Chelmsford scored their late consolation goal one of their supporters had a fatal heart attack.
It was plain sailing with Burleys early goal as Viljoen pointed out afterwards.
One for the oldies on 16:50 - Dec 28 with 1175 viewsnorth_stand77

One for the oldies on 16:38 - Dec 28 by PJH

No, special as in non service train.

It had doors and windows and all sorts of things.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 16:38]

.....doors and windows if you were lucky!

The football specials were old cast off carriages only used for football supporters- covered in graffiti, with ripped seats or no seats at all! Smelt of urine and booze - happy memories
One for the oldies on 16:56 - Dec 28 with 1166 viewsbackwaywhen

One for the oldies on 15:56 - Dec 28 by gtsb1966

The bloke in the middle was either a painter and decorator or he hangs his trousers out to dry on a bird table.

That’s my best mate and still is to this day , sign writer back then , we were 16 , happy days.
One for the oldies on 16:57 - Dec 28 with 1151 viewsPJH

One for the oldies on 16:50 - Dec 28 by north_stand77

.....doors and windows if you were lucky!

The football specials were old cast off carriages only used for football supporters- covered in graffiti, with ripped seats or no seats at all! Smelt of urine and booze - happy memories

Yeah, well they usually had doors and windows when they left Ipswich but not necessarily when they returned.
One for the oldies on 16:57 - Dec 28 with 1152 viewsBrianTablet

One for the oldies on 15:21 - Dec 28 by Radlett_blue

Ransacking Woolworths is a good name for a band.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

One for the oldies on 17:08 - Dec 28 with 1124 viewsnorth_stand77

One for the oldies on 16:56 - Dec 28 by backwaywhen

That’s my best mate and still is to this day , sign writer back then , we were 16 , happy days.

Haha! He was my ex brother in law - his dad was also a very good sign writer!
One for the oldies on 17:13 - Dec 28 with 1107 viewsbackwaywhen

One for the oldies on 17:08 - Dec 28 by north_stand77

Haha! He was my ex brother in law - his dad was also a very good sign writer!

Go on then give me a clue , I must know who you are ? and you me ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024