Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scary shizz. 20:13 - Jan 8 with 1024 viewsBlueBadger

https://www.wired.com/story/opinion-platforms-must-pay-for-their-role-in-the-ins

'Facebook’s own research revealed that 64 percent of the time a person joins an extremist Facebook Group, they do so because the platform recommended it.'

If that's not an argument for keeping the likes of Little Tommeh, Qanon, Nigel Farage and the Conservative Party off there, I don't what is.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Scary shizz. on 20:47 - Jan 8 with 949 viewsSwansea_Blue

It’s an argument for some sort of strict code of conduct and regulation, for all social media. It’s turning too many people into brainwashed morons.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Scary shizz. on 20:52 - Jan 8 with 936 viewsmonytowbray

Roger McNamee is the sh1t. Well worth a follow on Twitter if data rights and psyops are of interest.

There are those who understand we’ve got here due to an unregulated corporate propaganda machine that values profit over humanity, and there are those still screaming it’s because of “identity politics” or “Corbyn was unelectable” or some equally poor-informed dribble.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 20:55]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Scary shizz. on 20:58 - Jan 8 with 912 viewsBlueBadger

Scary shizz. on 20:47 - Jan 8 by Swansea_Blue

It’s an argument for some sort of strict code of conduct and regulation, for all social media. It’s turning too many people into brainwashed morons.

balls

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Scary shizz. on 21:03 - Jan 8 with 906 viewsDarth_Koont

Scary shizz. on 20:47 - Jan 8 by Swansea_Blue

Indeed. I’m not on Twitter and use Facebook for rugby stuff almost exclusively.

But Twitter in particular is a great source of information and links IF you look for it. As a non-registered visitor I can take a look and find out what those who agree with me think and what those who don’t agree with me think (and they’re more interesting to me).

But the majority of threads are a wormhole where the same people with the same opinions agree with each other. Because that’s literally what they’re fed.

Logged on and fed by algorithms, there’s a way of feeling informed on social media which is utterly self-deluding and dangerous.

TWTD > Twitter

Pronouns: He/Him

Scary shizz. on 21:04 - Jan 8 with 897 viewsjaykay

my wife is in a couple of groups, one is old pics of own town and another is a support group for rheumatiod arthritis sufferers, every time she goes to her groups pages there are dozens recommendations for other groups of that ilk. so i suppose those who are members of right wing groups ,will get all right wing groups recommendations.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Scary shizz. on 21:18 - Jan 8 with 881 viewsMeadowlark

Scary shizz. on 21:03 - Jan 8 by Darth_Koont

Indeed. I’m not on Twitter and use Facebook for rugby stuff almost exclusively.

But Twitter in particular is a great source of information and links IF you look for it. As a non-registered visitor I can take a look and find out what those who agree with me think and what those who don’t agree with me think (and they’re more interesting to me).

But the majority of threads are a wormhole where the same people with the same opinions agree with each other. Because that’s literally what they’re fed.

Logged on and fed by algorithms, there’s a way of feeling informed on social media which is utterly self-deluding and dangerous.

TWTD > Twitter

I'm not on FB, but I am on Twitter.

I tend to agree with you. After an hour or so of agreeing with those I agree with and getting exasperated with those I don't, I come on here and see what is usually a more nuanced and intelligent (really!) argument on the same subject.

Of course, the nature of Twitter means you can only use a few sentences, but its real problem is that you have to quickly pick sides. One or the other.

And this seems to be the way things are going everywhere _
–polarised views with no gray.
"If you're not with me, you're against me!"
"If you think differently I am not listening to you!"

I sometimes find myself falling into this way of thinking too, when my traditional stance has always been to question everything. But these days it seems if you ask a question, it means you support the opposite point of view.
Scary shizz. on 21:46 - Jan 8 with 845 viewsDarth_Koont

Scary shizz. on 21:18 - Jan 8 by Meadowlark

I'm not on FB, but I am on Twitter.

I tend to agree with you. After an hour or so of agreeing with those I agree with and getting exasperated with those I don't, I come on here and see what is usually a more nuanced and intelligent (really!) argument on the same subject.

Of course, the nature of Twitter means you can only use a few sentences, but its real problem is that you have to quickly pick sides. One or the other.

And this seems to be the way things are going everywhere _
–polarised views with no gray.
"If you're not with me, you're against me!"
"If you think differently I am not listening to you!"

I sometimes find myself falling into this way of thinking too, when my traditional stance has always been to question everything. But these days it seems if you ask a question, it means you support the opposite point of view.

TWTD is very good for spreading and preserving the debate in its most honest form. And I say that even as someone who often has a minority point of view on a lot of subjects.

Case in point was the recent faked outrage over Ian Lavery MP as an anti-vaxxer. That flared on Twitter because everyone in their echo chamber was egging each other on before it faded after a day or two when people realised they couldn’t make it stick. A lot of people looked stupid because of how far they took it. But it still bubbles as a cheap attack on Lavery.

On TWTD with different opinions we addressed it, shut it down and moved on within a couple of hours.

It’s pretty healthy that we don’t agree on TWTD.

Pronouns: He/Him

Scary shizz. on 21:57 - Jan 8 with 836 viewsMoriarty

Zuckerberg alluded to the risks of allowing Trump continue to use the Facebook and Instagram platforms. He’s referring to guy who has the nuclear codes.

That’s scary.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 21:58]

fka omuircheartaigh

Login to get fewer ads

Scary shizz. on 22:28 - Jan 8 with 793 viewsmonytowbray

Scary shizz. on 21:57 - Jan 8 by Moriarty

Zuckerberg alluded to the risks of allowing Trump continue to use the Facebook and Instagram platforms. He’s referring to guy who has the nuclear codes.

That’s scary.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 21:58]

Zuckerberg is the guiltiest party of all.

TWTD never forgets…

Scary shizz. on 22:48 - Jan 8 with 773 viewsBlueBadger

Scary shizz. on 22:28 - Jan 8 by monytowbray

Zuckerberg is the guiltiest party of all.

Quite. A Jewish bloke who had to have it explained to him(possibly with diagrams) why giving nazis and various other antisemitics free reign is BAD.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 22:51]

Scary shizz. on 23:06 - Jan 8 with 740 viewsmonytowbray

Scary shizz. on 22:48 - Jan 8 by BlueBadger

Quite. A Jewish bloke who had to have it explained to him(possibly with diagrams) why giving nazis and various other antisemitics free reign is BAD.

But Corbyn?

TWTD never forgets…

Scary shizz. on 07:55 - Jan 9 with 667 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Scary shizz. on 22:48 - Jan 8 by BlueBadger

Indeed. The bile on Labour’s Facebook page when they posted a simple Happy Chanukah message was disgusting. Probably the worst thing is that even when you report comments they aren’t removed.
Scary shizz. on 09:42 - Jan 9 with 608 viewsmonytowbray

Scary shizz. on 07:55 - Jan 9 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Indeed. The bile on Labour’s Facebook page when they posted a simple Happy Chanukah message was disgusting. Probably the worst thing is that even when you report comments they aren’t removed.

That’s a FB problem, not a Labour one.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024