Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Further Ashton and O'Leary background, and Phoenix Rising level 10:38 - Mar 3 with 1479 viewsunstableblue

Reading up further on Mark Ashton and Michael O'Leary

Both have served as directors and Chief Execs of clubs - WBA, Oxford and Bristol City

Ashton is a director of the EFL.

"Oxford United CEO Mark Ashton started out in football as a goalkeeper in Albion's youth and reserve teams during the late 1980s." Didn't realise he was a player.

Interesting to see what roles they'd take up - as in CEO and/or director.

There is little information on O'Leary. Plenty of opinion on Ashton from Bristol City fans. Ashton set up a sport consulting organisation in between roles - tactical change. Ashton also set-up a lifestyle company to support wealthy footballers in house moves and holiday. Both company web-sites are both down.

A lot of connections to West Brom and their model, emphasised in this article:
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/full-mark-ashton-tran

They're both clearly commercially biased business people, but with football pedigree.

As for Phoenix Rising - I thought they were MSL (main soccer league in USA) but are USL, which is lower tier, smaller teams and the reserve teams of bigger clubs such as LA Galaxy.

Their current stadium,is temporary, small and with low gates. They have ambitious plans for a 'larger' stadium

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/as-phoenix-rising-gains-more-and-more-follower

My risk radar is bleeping!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Further Ashton and O'Leary background, and Phoenix Rising level on 10:45 - Mar 3 with 1369 viewstractorboy1978

Why?

I'd say it's a massive bonus for us that these guys have previous involvement in football as 'owners' and want to create a proper structure, appointing proven competent people in the relevant roles needed. It's also not insignificant they've been involved with Helsingor in Denmark and clearly have a network of people already involved in European football. Both Phoenix and Helsingor have demonstrable success over the few years they've been involved.
Further Ashton and O'Leary background, and Phoenix Rising level on 10:45 - Mar 3 with 1371 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

From the interview with Matt Slater of the Athletic it sounds like Ashton is unlikely to be a major part of this now. Which is a good thing as he certainly sets my alarm bells going (not least because someone I trust hinted his sacking from Wycombe may have been related to his personal conduct). Don't know much about O'Leary though.

I wouldn't worry about the stadium stuff , Phoenix are in effectively the second division in the States so you'd expect a smaller stadium/fan base. Also worth saying there is no promotion/relegation over there so you'd have to buy your way into the MLS.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Further Ashton and O'Leary background, and Phoenix Rising level on 10:59 - Mar 3 with 1279 viewsunstableblue

Further Ashton and O'Leary background, and Phoenix Rising level on 10:45 - Mar 3 by tractorboy1978

Why?

I'd say it's a massive bonus for us that these guys have previous involvement in football as 'owners' and want to create a proper structure, appointing proven competent people in the relevant roles needed. It's also not insignificant they've been involved with Helsingor in Denmark and clearly have a network of people already involved in European football. Both Phoenix and Helsingor have demonstrable success over the few years they've been involved.

As I said they’re commercial people with football pedigree.

Which is a major step up from part time Marcus, Clegg and Milne.

From others comments it may be that they set Ipswich as a franchise and out other people in key roles, as in Ashton and O Leary may not be CEOs

There is without a doubt significant risk in this change, but if creating a saleable asset also means Ipswich have to be high championship or premier league, then why not. Does a Norwich or Brentford model look more palatable, maybe. And if the new directors put fan/community representatives in the structure is it that different from Brentford

We’re in for a ride / let’s go!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Further Ashton and O'Leary background, and Phoenix Rising level on 13:05 - Mar 3 with 1015 viewssoupytwist

Further Ashton and O'Leary background, and Phoenix Rising level on 10:45 - Mar 3 by tractorboy1978

Why?

This article by Helsingor's majority shareholder is interesting in the account it gives of what happens in the first 90 days after takeover - https://www.sportspromedia.com/analysis/european-football-club-owner-guide-jorda

The Gamechanger 20 lot might adopt a similar strategy so Lee O'Neill (who seems to have replaced Lambert as the object of fan opprobrium) and others could stay or they could be replaced.
Further Ashton and O'Leary background, and Phoenix Rising level on 13:07 - Mar 3 with 987 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Dont think there is anything in that to be worried about tbh?

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Further Ashton and O'Leary background, and Phoenix Rising level on 13:16 - Mar 3 with 934 viewsEl_Fenix

The future's so bright, we all gotta wear shades!

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

Further Ashton and O'Leary background, and Phoenix Rising level on 13:23 - Mar 3 with 872 viewsEl_Fenix

Further Ashton and O'Leary background, and Phoenix Rising level on 13:05 - Mar 3 by soupytwist

This article by Helsingor's majority shareholder is interesting in the account it gives of what happens in the first 90 days after takeover - https://www.sportspromedia.com/analysis/european-football-club-owner-guide-jorda

The Gamechanger 20 lot might adopt a similar strategy so Lee O'Neill (who seems to have replaced Lambert as the object of fan opprobrium) and others could stay or they could be replaced.

A very interesting article, thank you for the link.

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024