Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Help please - any electricians or those in the know 17:23 - May 24 with 866 viewsNeedhamChris

Appealing to the TWTD community for some advice here. We're pretty close to exchange on our first home - a 1920's house in Stowmarket. We insisted on an electrical test as was last done in 2013, and it's highlighted a list of 40 different faults (pretty much a rewire I think).

First thoughts were that's it - however I can see the benefit of being able to have an upgraded system before moving in - potential for smart system etc. The seller is desperate to move prior to end of June so there is room for manouvre in price.

So wondered if anyone could help with;

a) any ideas on how much this would be, and if it's worth the hassle?
b) any registered electricians here that would want to quote, or those you'd recommend?
c) any general advice on what to avoid doing

So frustrating getting close to the end and having a large spanner in the works. Any feedback whatsoever is very much appreciated.

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

Help please - any electricians or those in the know on 17:40 - May 24 with 801 viewsCaptainAhab

My brother-in-law is a sparky and unlike most at the moment, he doesn't have much work lined up - reason being he's a Kiwi (don't let that put you off, he's a bloody good bloke) and has been back in NZ for the past 3 months. He's back in the UK next week and if you haven't had any luck by then I can ask him to get in touch if you like?
Help please - any electricians or those in the know on 18:02 - May 24 with 753 viewsclive_baker

Congratulations on your imminent move (hopefully) Chris. My tuppence worth having been through similar would be to not be too hasty to pull the plug on a place you like for the sake of a specific issue, especially if it's resolvable. People are quick to do that, but if you're getting the place at the right price then don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

What you could do is to get 2 or 3 quotes for the work (if the vendor / agent can sort access to the tradespeople) so you know the extent of the work. You then have the option of saying you're still happy to proceed if they can share the cost. I would lay it on quite thick that you're pretty pragmatic, you don't expect everything to be perfect and you remain committed to buying the property, but your offer was assuming the electrics were in decent order, which they're evidently not and need X amount of work (you can provide the quotes too). That way you don't look like you're taking the p1ss.

If your quotes suggest it'll be £3k for example to rewire the whole place (I'm not an electrician, but that's what I paid for a complete rewire of my place), then ​you could maybe say you want to drop the offer by that (or some of that).

It is frustrating, but as someone who got a survey on my place and instantly thought 'feck this, it's too much hassle', you might find that taking a breath and actually working it through could be the best thing you did. It was for me, and generally it all sounded more daunting than it actually was. All places, especially 100 years old, will probably require a little something at least, and pulling the plug and searching again might end up costing more in surveys, future electrical test, the market having moved slightly etc. So if you're happy with everything else (other surveys are all fine etc) and the numbers stack up, then it can be better the devil you know sometimes. Definitely get quotes though so you know how much you're letting yourself in for, and there's certainly no harm in asking for the cost to be shared with the vendor through the sale price (I know that doesn't necessarily equal having the funds to do the work, as presumably you're funding via a mortgage, and cash flow is a different thing altogether).

As a more general point on electrics, it's an area I wouldn't feck about with. Definitely get them sorted when you get in there.

All the best with it.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Help please - any electricians or those in the know on 18:15 - May 24 with 697 viewsElephantintheRoom

An electric report will be like a surveyor's report.... mentioning anything and everything. Although electrics are somewhat alarming and can cause fires etc - the faults may not be too serious - just not up to current standards.

Dont be too hasty to pull out would be my advice - or to expect the current owner to fund your plans - he might think that's something you should pay for and is already priced into the sale.

And dont bother with anything too trendy if you are not staying there for very long... what seems smart today will be out of date in a year or two!

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Help please - any electricians or those in the know on 18:17 - May 24 with 691 viewsNeedhamChris

Help please - any electricians or those in the know on 17:40 - May 24 by CaptainAhab

My brother-in-law is a sparky and unlike most at the moment, he doesn't have much work lined up - reason being he's a Kiwi (don't let that put you off, he's a bloody good bloke) and has been back in NZ for the past 3 months. He's back in the UK next week and if you haven't had any luck by then I can ask him to get in touch if you like?

Thanks for this. I'll see if anything happens this week ahead of the bank holiday but if not will message you :)

Help please - any electricians or those in the know on 18:27 - May 24 with 631 viewsNeedhamChris

Help please - any electricians or those in the know on 18:02 - May 24 by clive_baker

Congratulations on your imminent move (hopefully) Chris. My tuppence worth having been through similar would be to not be too hasty to pull the plug on a place you like for the sake of a specific issue, especially if it's resolvable. People are quick to do that, but if you're getting the place at the right price then don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

What you could do is to get 2 or 3 quotes for the work (if the vendor / agent can sort access to the tradespeople) so you know the extent of the work. You then have the option of saying you're still happy to proceed if they can share the cost. I would lay it on quite thick that you're pretty pragmatic, you don't expect everything to be perfect and you remain committed to buying the property, but your offer was assuming the electrics were in decent order, which they're evidently not and need X amount of work (you can provide the quotes too). That way you don't look like you're taking the p1ss.

If your quotes suggest it'll be £3k for example to rewire the whole place (I'm not an electrician, but that's what I paid for a complete rewire of my place), then ​you could maybe say you want to drop the offer by that (or some of that).

It is frustrating, but as someone who got a survey on my place and instantly thought 'feck this, it's too much hassle', you might find that taking a breath and actually working it through could be the best thing you did. It was for me, and generally it all sounded more daunting than it actually was. All places, especially 100 years old, will probably require a little something at least, and pulling the plug and searching again might end up costing more in surveys, future electrical test, the market having moved slightly etc. So if you're happy with everything else (other surveys are all fine etc) and the numbers stack up, then it can be better the devil you know sometimes. Definitely get quotes though so you know how much you're letting yourself in for, and there's certainly no harm in asking for the cost to be shared with the vendor through the sale price (I know that doesn't necessarily equal having the funds to do the work, as presumably you're funding via a mortgage, and cash flow is a different thing altogether).

As a more general point on electrics, it's an area I wouldn't feck about with. Definitely get them sorted when you get in there.

All the best with it.

Thanks so much for taking the time to send such a helpful reply. I found that all rather reassuring as it came out of the blue, but everything you've said makes sense so will definitely explore solutions now rather than panic and pull out.

Will have a chat with the agent to see if they can arrange access for a couple of quotes as you suggest. Since I've posted they've already expressed flexibility on cost so will see what we get quoted and go from there. They have offered to do 9/40 of the faults (£1500 worth), but that to seems like it might be counter productive if a full rewire is the recommendation anyway. We were happy enough with everything else that was raised as we did a full buildings survey - so it is the last stumbling block.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts when you got your survey too, you didn't have to spend as much time replying as you did so really kind of you to do so and very much appreciated. Hopefully we'll still be asking Gav to change me to IP14Chris88 sooner rather than later :)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024