Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sorry if posed before. Gareth Southgate, message to England. 20:25 - Jun 8 with 891 viewsnoggin

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/dear-england-gareth-southgate-euros-socc

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Sorry if posed before. Gareth Southgate, message to England. on 20:30 - Jun 8 with 847 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Unfortunately too many have already ensured and determined that this tournament will be remembered in part due to on-going racism.

Well done, Southgate and well done, England, for continuing to stand up against it. If the racists would only realise the longer they boo, the longer the issue will need to be addressed and increasing rather than decreasing ways.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Sorry if posed before. Gareth Southgate, message to England. on 20:31 - Jun 8 with 841 viewsSteve_M

An example of what an inclusive approach to loving one’s country can encompass. If the appointment of Southgate was somewhat serendipitous for the FA then it is hard to think of a better manager for the current era.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2021 21:34]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Sorry if posed before. Gareth Southgate, message to England. on 20:32 - Jun 8 with 831 viewsSpruceMoose

The kind of thing an English bloke can be proud of. Shame there's a gang of knuckle draggers making me equally ashamed.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Sorry if posed before. Gareth Southgate, message to England. on 20:40 - Jun 8 with 790 viewsHerbivore

He's a pretty outstanding individual.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sorry if posed before. Gareth Southgate, message to England. on 20:42 - Jun 8 with 778 viewsnoggin

Sorry if posed before. Gareth Southgate, message to England. on 20:40 - Jun 8 by Herbivore

He's a pretty outstanding individual.

If ever an England manager deserved some success... Most humble manager since Bobby Robson.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2021 20:46]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Sorry if posed before. Gareth Southgate, message to England. on 21:05 - Jun 8 with 707 viewsBlueBadger

Sorry if posed before. Gareth Southgate, message to England. on 20:42 - Jun 8 by noggin

If ever an England manager deserved some success... Most humble manager since Bobby Robson.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2021 20:46]

Certainly the most humanly decent one since the Great Man.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Sorry if posed before. Gareth Southgate, message to England. on 22:22 - Jun 8 with 615 viewsjeera

Good little read that Nogs, thanks for posting as I hadn't seen it.

Yes, he's a good guy isn't he. Liked the reference to being a kid with a wall chart. Something we all did. Used to love that.

And the pride of the players, especially as so many have been accused before of not caring.

The downside of course is that those who might benefit from reading something like that won't bother.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Sorry if posed before. Gareth Southgate, message to England. on 22:25 - Jun 8 with 604 viewsHighgateBlue

Sorry if posed before. Gareth Southgate, message to England. on 20:31 - Jun 8 by Steve_M

An example of what an inclusive approach to loving one’s country can encompass. If the appointment of Southgate was somewhat serendipitous for the FA then it is hard to think of a better manager for the current era.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2021 21:34]

I'm really interested that he's holding up these twin pillars of loving your country and also trumpeting inclusion and fairness. I suppose he's reaching out to those on the right who are booing, and saying - look, why not love your country AND be inclusive? To which, I hope, the answer is, 'oh yeah! plainly that's the answer!'.

When players started 'taking the knee' (kneeling, for old farts like me) in this country, I thought long and hard. In the US, it was often done at the same time as the national anthem, and was perceived as disrespectful to it. What I would love to see, without any silly booing, it the players respecting the national anthem, as if to say 'this is our tune, this represents our country of which we're proud, even if nobody actually likes the tune much', and the taking the knee says 'and you know what, this is what we actually want our country to be like - a place where everybody matters and nobody is excluded on the basis of prejudice'.

The players and the gaffer have confirmed that the taking of the knee, for them, is not about supporting defunding the police (a policy as questionable as the word 'defunding' itself), but about principles of universal fairness and justice. It needs to be viewed in that spirit. I happen to think that it IS political, inescapably so, but it's none the worse for that. It is an advert for basic and fundamental political principles that should really be the common ground that glues us all together as British even more than, say, not being able to speak other people's languages very well.

Now come on you blues! Or whatever colour they're gonna wear (shrug emoji)
Login to get fewer ads

Sorry if posed before. Gareth Southgate, message to England. on 22:30 - Jun 8 with 584 viewsSpruceMoose

Sorry if posed before. Gareth Southgate, message to England. on 22:22 - Jun 8 by jeera

Good little read that Nogs, thanks for posting as I hadn't seen it.

Yes, he's a good guy isn't he. Liked the reference to being a kid with a wall chart. Something we all did. Used to love that.

And the pride of the players, especially as so many have been accused before of not caring.

The downside of course is that those who might benefit from reading something like that won't bother.

Your last point is spot on, and exactly why you can't really reason with these people. The only response you'll ever get is a dismissive sneer.

It's pure arrogance. They know what they feel, they know what they know and that's it. We are wrong, they are right, people shouldn't see colour but now that you mention it yes, Sterling is rather uppity and ungrateful (unless he taps in the winner in the Euros then they love him), the UK is incredibly tolerant and anyone complaining about racism lacks real world experience and common sense. The gammony gospel.

I know that personally I am done reasoning with people who have clearly shown they will never have any intention of examining their own beliefs. There will never be any unity without some kind of accountability.

They've had the chance to get on the right side of history. It's really their last chance - get on board with the fight or get out of the way and we will do it without you, going through you if necessary.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Sorry if posed before. Gareth Southgate, message to England. on 22:42 - Jun 8 with 553 viewsSpruceMoose

Sorry if posed before. Gareth Southgate, message to England. on 22:25 - Jun 8 by HighgateBlue

I'm really interested that he's holding up these twin pillars of loving your country and also trumpeting inclusion and fairness. I suppose he's reaching out to those on the right who are booing, and saying - look, why not love your country AND be inclusive? To which, I hope, the answer is, 'oh yeah! plainly that's the answer!'.

When players started 'taking the knee' (kneeling, for old farts like me) in this country, I thought long and hard. In the US, it was often done at the same time as the national anthem, and was perceived as disrespectful to it. What I would love to see, without any silly booing, it the players respecting the national anthem, as if to say 'this is our tune, this represents our country of which we're proud, even if nobody actually likes the tune much', and the taking the knee says 'and you know what, this is what we actually want our country to be like - a place where everybody matters and nobody is excluded on the basis of prejudice'.

The players and the gaffer have confirmed that the taking of the knee, for them, is not about supporting defunding the police (a policy as questionable as the word 'defunding' itself), but about principles of universal fairness and justice. It needs to be viewed in that spirit. I happen to think that it IS political, inescapably so, but it's none the worse for that. It is an advert for basic and fundamental political principles that should really be the common ground that glues us all together as British even more than, say, not being able to speak other people's languages very well.

Now come on you blues! Or whatever colour they're gonna wear (shrug emoji)

The point with kneeling through the American national anthem was that one group of people didn't feel their country was inclusive, and they weren't actually proud of it - because certain people are made to feel that the country isn't everyone's country.

Others joined in because they believed these people and wanted to stand in solidarity with people who are made to feel that way.

A third group of people were in complete denial about what they were being told and decided to dismiss the experiences of the people concerned entirely, because, well, they had the luxury to do so. They had no skin in the game, if you pardon the pun.

Hearing these boos is like hearing a battered spouse being chided for not respecting their abuser, largely by other abusers. A huge amount of the wealth amassed in America and the UK was done so off the backs of minorities and they're still often treated like second or third class citizens as way of thanks. Not only that, but a large number of people still aren't prepared to be honest and have a grown up discussion regarding our histories and our treatment of others.

The point of kneeling through a national anthem, a thing that supposedly represents everyone, is to highlight that it clearly doesn't represent everyone. We don't in fact live in places (either the UK or the USA) where everybody matters, and nobody is excluded on the basis of prejudice. Only some of them people get to experience that.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2021 22:45]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024