Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gamechanger interest in Newcastle 21:14 - Jul 19 with 1674 viewsjasondozzell

Seem to remember reading that they looked at Newcastle at one point. Wonder what made them move away from that. Presumably Ashley's demands.

Have to say that so far they have been excellent. I really like what Ashton had to say about the ground and strategy.
Gamechanger interest in Newcastle on 22:43 - Jul 19 with 1456 viewsmonty_radio

If true, their task would have been much different playing out against a backdrop of immediate fan pressure for success and an expectation that would be looking for European involvement within two seasons. Obviously the financial rewards would be greater but the risk much higher after paying Mike Ashley upwards of £300 million for a pretty worthless squad and yet still inherit massive contractual obligations.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Gamechanger interest in Newcastle on 22:48 - Jul 19 with 1431 viewsRobbie12345

Yes they did, there is a pic of Bret, Berke and Mark at St James’ Park (see below link). Heard Bret Johnson discuss this on one of his many podcasts. Something along the lines of that Newcastle would take 300m+ to buy, then need significant investment to take them to the next level. It was instead deemed that buying a lower league club would be substantially cheaper, they could put less than that 300m+ in and have a larger chance of profit at the end, even if, for some reason, we were not a top half Prem side. Check out this EATD article which shows pic, explains and points you to the podcast I mentioned.
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/why-ipswich-town-owners-didnt-buy-newc

Poll: You can start one vs Birmingham

Gamechanger interest in Newcastle on 22:51 - Jul 19 with 1417 viewsRobbie12345

Gamechanger interest in Newcastle on 22:43 - Jul 19 by monty_radio

If true, their task would have been much different playing out against a backdrop of immediate fan pressure for success and an expectation that would be looking for European involvement within two seasons. Obviously the financial rewards would be greater but the risk much higher after paying Mike Ashley upwards of £300 million for a pretty worthless squad and yet still inherit massive contractual obligations.

Indeed

Poll: You can start one vs Birmingham

Gamechanger interest in Newcastle on 23:02 - Jul 19 with 1382 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Gamechanger interest in Newcastle on 22:48 - Jul 19 by Robbie12345

Yes they did, there is a pic of Bret, Berke and Mark at St James’ Park (see below link). Heard Bret Johnson discuss this on one of his many podcasts. Something along the lines of that Newcastle would take 300m+ to buy, then need significant investment to take them to the next level. It was instead deemed that buying a lower league club would be substantially cheaper, they could put less than that 300m+ in and have a larger chance of profit at the end, even if, for some reason, we were not a top half Prem side. Check out this EATD article which shows pic, explains and points you to the podcast I mentioned.
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/why-ipswich-town-owners-didnt-buy-newc

Yeah... basically the celing with us in terms of where they can take the club is far higher with much less risk attached.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Gamechanger interest in Newcastle on 01:20 - Jul 20 with 1229 viewsjasondozzell

Gamechanger interest in Newcastle on 22:43 - Jul 19 by monty_radio

Yes! Both clubs that have fallen in hard times but two very different projects. And as you say, far harder to make an immediate impression with prem team. It took City a fair few years efore they were challenging at the very top and that was with huge financial backing.
Gamechanger interest in Newcastle on 01:24 - Jul 20 with 1224 viewsjasondozzell

Great! Thanks for link. Really interesting. Will give pod an listen. Johnson always very measured and thoughtful in interviews - bodes well.!

Agree with your points. Almost into a winner with us by default if you've got the money to finance a proper team and structure - we are so clearly miles below where a club of our side should be.

Feel sorry for Newcastle fans. They are stuck in the limbo that we have finally managed to exit from!
Gamechanger interest in Newcastle on 08:01 - Jul 20 with 1000 viewsChurchman

Gamechanger interest in Newcastle on 23:02 - Jul 19 by BlueandTruesince82

Yeah... basically the celing with us in terms of where they can take the club is far higher with much less risk attached.

I think that they looked at Newcastle quite seriously. The question was all about what idiot Ashley wanted for it (a pound or two more than Evans wanted for ITFC) and what the potential is. With Newcastle, they are in the Premier League, facilities are all there, the only thing they could do was take it to the next level. To challenge at the top would require a lot of ££. I just don’t think it was the right ‘fit’ for them.
Gamechanger interest in Newcastle on 10:25 - Jul 20 with 804 viewsIPS_wich

I finally got round to watching Sunderland Til I Die last week whilst I was on holiday. I did wonder whether Gamechanger had been one of the potential parties that Stewart Donald was speaking to about buying the club when it became clear his consortium didn't have the resources to sustain a second season in League One.

Having married a lass from the North East all I can say is that the Toon Army are about as patient as the Mackems are - that is they will start booing and abusing players and the owners once they go a couple of goals down in a pre-season friendly.

I think Gamechanger were very sensible to steer clear.
Login to get fewer ads

Gamechanger interest in Newcastle on 10:52 - Jul 20 with 751 viewsBluefields

Gamechanger interest in Newcastle on 10:25 - Jul 20 by IPS_wich

I finally got round to watching Sunderland Til I Die last week whilst I was on holiday. I did wonder whether Gamechanger had been one of the potential parties that Stewart Donald was speaking to about buying the club when it became clear his consortium didn't have the resources to sustain a second season in League One.

Having married a lass from the North East all I can say is that the Toon Army are about as patient as the Mackems are - that is they will start booing and abusing players and the owners once they go a couple of goals down in a pre-season friendly.

I think Gamechanger were very sensible to steer clear.

Im from the North East and you are incorrect.
Gamechanger interest in Newcastle on 10:59 - Jul 20 with 735 viewstractorboy1978

The fact they were sniffing around Newcastle highlights the level of financial clout they have access to. It really is hugely exciting!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024