Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. 11:23 - Mar 7 with 1493 viewshomer_123

Anyone else?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 11:31 - Mar 7 with 1439 viewsmonytowbray

Wish I could afford it. Got moved to them from Pure Planet going under and stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Shell is a business built on blood.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 11:31 - Mar 7 with 1444 viewsbluelagos

In solidarity with the Ogoni people?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 11:32 - Mar 7 with 1430 viewsmonytowbray

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 11:31 - Mar 7 by bluelagos

JFTO9.

TWTD never forgets…

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 11:34 - Mar 7 with 1429 viewshomer_123

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 11:31 - Mar 7 by bluelagos

And who do you get your gas and electric from then Lagos?

Do let me know, ethically, which of a bunch of sh*ty operators I should chose from?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 11:39 - Mar 7 with 1388 viewsbluelagos

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 11:34 - Mar 7 by homer_123

Do let me know, ethically, which of a bunch of sh*ty operators I should chose from?

I was at SSE - went to the Green one - just as they went bust.

They then told me I was going to Shell - so I cancelled my transfer and managed to just go back to SSE - who are not SSE anymore - Ovo energy?

Don't pretend it's easy - especially at the moment. They recon there could be as few as 6 suppliers pretty soon. And as Callis points out - cost will be main factor for many.

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 11:44 - Mar 7 with 1353 viewsmonytowbray

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 11:39 - Mar 7 by bluelagos

They then told me I was going to Shell - so I cancelled my transfer and managed to just go back to SSE - who are not SSE anymore - Ovo energy?

Don't pretend it's easy - especially at the moment. They recon there could be as few as 6 suppliers pretty soon. And as Callis points out - cost will be main factor for many.

Capitalism is freedom of choice. Bar the fact already most brands are under the umbrella of Proctor & Gamble, Unilever, Nestle, Kraft, Pepsi. It’s all a lie.

Humanity let itself down over the last 40 years by not paying attention and now we are stuck in a power structure very hard to shake off. No one cares about anything in the West until it affects them, and by that time it’s too late. You’d think Ukraine is the first genocide to happen since WWII the way folks go on.

TWTD never forgets…

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 11:53 - Mar 7 with 1322 viewsbluelagos

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 11:44 - Mar 7 by monytowbray

Capitalism is freedom of choice. Bar the fact already most brands are under the umbrella of Proctor & Gamble, Unilever, Nestle, Kraft, Pepsi. It’s all a lie.

Humanity let itself down over the last 40 years by not paying attention and now we are stuck in a power structure very hard to shake off. No one cares about anything in the West until it affects them, and by that time it’s too late. You’d think Ukraine is the first genocide to happen since WWII the way folks go on.

You right in what you say, though maybe a bit harsh on ordinary people.

Why would they have heard of the Ogoni people? Was a long time ago and how much coverage was there even at the time?

Whereas today, on social media, people are watching a humanitarian disaster unfold live via social media feeds and the extensive news coverage.

As for how we can be ethical shoppers - it's indeed a nightmare in many ways. Go local, avoid big brands, easy to say but it comes at a considerable price premium which is very hard for everyone struggling to make ends meet.

The system protects those with power/money and always will :-(

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 12:07 - Mar 7 with 1286 viewsRadlett_blue

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 11:39 - Mar 7 by bluelagos

Given the rise in energy prices and the volatility, I doubt many good deals will be available as hedging will be prohibitively expensive, while no-one is currently going to offer energy at a price lower than the current government capped price, or even the new capped price, which is set to rise hugely in April.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 12:15 - Mar 7 with 1247 viewsJ2BLUE

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 11:44 - Mar 7 by monytowbray

What have Proctor and Gamble, Unilever and Pepsi done wrong?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 12:38 - Mar 7 with 1151 viewsbluelagos

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 12:15 - Mar 7 by J2BLUE

What have Proctor and Gamble, Unilever and Pepsi done wrong?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Logo-Naomi-Klein/dp/000734077X

Focuses more on how American multinationals impact the world, but the tactics used are am sure are applicable to the companies you mention.

A great starting point for anyone wanting to understand more on the issues around corporations influencing damaging our world, especially FMCGs.

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 14:48 - Mar 7 with 963 viewsmonytowbray

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 12:38 - Mar 7 by bluelagos

Focuses more on how American multinationals impact the world, but the tactics used are am sure are applicable to the companies you mention.

A great starting point for anyone wanting to understand more on the issues around corporations influencing damaging our world, especially FMCGs.

Ironically linked from Amazon ;)

But the same goes for many things really RE: Your point about the population and being in-the-know. We have access to better info than ever to make ethical purchase choices, sadly a lot of folks don’t. You only need to look at the BrewDog threads or Vegan threads to see it.

And for some reason when faced with facts people double down because god forbid anyone changes or grows.

TWTD never forgets…

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 14:55 - Mar 7 with 946 viewsJ2BLUE

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 12:38 - Mar 7 by bluelagos

Cheers.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 14:55 - Mar 7 with 946 viewsbluelagos

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 14:48 - Mar 7 by monytowbray

Ironically linked from Amazon ;)

But the same goes for many things really RE: Your point about the population and being in-the-know. We have access to better info than ever to make ethical purchase choices, sadly a lot of folks don’t. You only need to look at the BrewDog threads or Vegan threads to see it.

And for some reason when faced with facts people double down because god forbid anyone changes or grows.

But the real point is that big business is so efficient at getting the cheapest manufacture and supply chains (by pushing wages and standards down wherever possible) that they can inevitably undercut the small independent producers.

Throw in how they dominate shelf space and realistically what are you going to do?

Yep, we can all go the local farm shop for our produce, but can we afford to? Many people simply can't afford those choices even if they wanted to make them.

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 16:08 - Mar 7 with 876 viewsjeera

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 11:53 - Mar 7 by bluelagos

You right in what you say, though maybe a bit harsh on ordinary people.

Why would they have heard of the Ogoni people? Was a long time ago and how much coverage was there even at the time?

Whereas today, on social media, people are watching a humanitarian disaster unfold live via social media feeds and the extensive news coverage.

As for how we can be ethical shoppers - it's indeed a nightmare in many ways. Go local, avoid big brands, easy to say but it comes at a considerable price premium which is very hard for everyone struggling to make ends meet.

The system protects those with power/money and always will :-(

Not told are we.

Something like that was never going to be front page news was it, or feature on the news every night.

I wonder how many of their shareholders even knew, or other stakeholders such as people whose pensions are indirectly liked to such actions.

I only remember the displacement at all because friends I had at Greenpeace were doing their best to make it known.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 16:25 - Mar 7 with 853 viewsbluelagos

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 16:08 - Mar 7 by jeera

Not told are we.

Something like that was never going to be front page news was it, or feature on the news every night.

I wonder how many of their shareholders even knew, or other stakeholders such as people whose pensions are indirectly liked to such actions.

I only remember the displacement at all because friends I had at Greenpeace were doing their best to make it known.

I met Ken Sara Wiwo's brother a few years ago in Oxford, he was a patron for a charity that was involved in supporting marginalised children in Eastern Nigeria. Got his book somewhere too.

But yeah, most people won't have a scooby what or who the Ogoni people are and how a nation state hung 9 emvironmental protesters and that Shell is widely believed in Nigeria to be complicit in those state murders.

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 16:30 - Mar 7 with 839 viewsjeera

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 16:25 - Mar 7 by bluelagos

I met Ken Sara Wiwo's brother a few years ago in Oxford, he was a patron for a charity that was involved in supporting marginalised children in Eastern Nigeria. Got his book somewhere too.

But yeah, most people won't have a scooby what or who the Ogoni people are and how a nation state hung 9 emvironmental protesters and that Shell is widely believed in Nigeria to be complicit in those state murders.

And this is happening which will no doubt see tens of thousands of people chucked out of their homes and lands they've inhabited for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.

And I'm sure won't be properly compensated for their trouble.

https://www.stopcambo.org.uk/updates/stopeacop

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 16:40 - Mar 7 with 818 viewsbluelagos

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 16:30 - Mar 7 by jeera

And this is happening which will no doubt see tens of thousands of people chucked out of their homes and lands they've inhabited for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.

And I'm sure won't be properly compensated for their trouble.

https://www.stopcambo.org.uk/updates/stopeacop

When I briefly worked in Malawi I was pleasantly surprised the govt refused to allow similar from oil reserves around Lake Malawi. The impact of oil leaks would have been devastating to the locals who fished on the Lake and to the growing tourism there.

And who was behind the plans for oil and exploiting them? Our own government...

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2016/11/21/british-government-foreign-office-su

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 16:54 - Mar 7 with 794 viewsOldFart71

Moved from Shell to British Gas last year via the Martin Lewis website switch. They look at the cheapest and then switch you. At the time I also got £25 per fuel (Gas and electric) refund and it was a 14 moth contract. Also switched internet and phone from Shell to Sky. All I got from Shell was a snide remark about how my new supplier would put it's price up and that if I didn't return the Router and wiring they would charge me £35 and bearing in mind this originated from 1st Utility who Shell took over I would have thought it was worth no more than 35p being a cheap imitation of the much better quality one I received from Sky.
A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 16:58 - Mar 7 with 783 viewspositivity

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 11:34 - Mar 7 by homer_123

ecotricity are very good, but not the cheapest.

mind you that was before all the rises, so they might be more competitive now!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 17:15 - Mar 7 with 754 viewsRadlett_blue

A small gesture but I'll be moving my electric and gas from Shell today. on 16:25 - Mar 7 by bluelagos

The best way of encouraging companies to behave more ethically is bad publicity, especially if they have strong consumer brands. It's interesting to see that most companies now take diversity seriously, not just because they don't want the attendant bad publicity if they don't, but a diverse group of employees often makes better decisions than a group who all have similar backgrounds and experiences.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024