Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Random Stat about last season 17:16 - Oct 9 with 989 viewsSmithersJones

The discussion on here about the discussion on the Sheff Wed forum got me wondering when exactly our promotion bid failed last season, ie in hindsight what was the game where, even if we’d had won every game from there to the end of the season, we wouldn’t have been able to catch the automatic promotion spots / play off places.
If my maths is correct automatic promotion was out of reach after we drew at Morecambe on 26 February and the play offs were gone after the Oxford draw (19 March). Obviously we didn’t know that at the time in either case.
So although we celebrated the win at home to Plymouth and mourned the defeat against Cambridge in fact they made no difference, we were already too far behind.
Random Stat about last season on 22:37 - Oct 9 with 755 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Clearly, the more matches left the more far-fetched winning all of them becomes.

In reality, promotion went after losing at home against Bolton. How Cook survived after that is a little perplexing. As a fan base, I believe opinion remained distinctly divided on him even then.

EDIT: I make you wrong about the Morecambe match. If we had won that and won all the rest, we would have had an extra 18 points and Rotherham 3 fewer so we would have finished ahead of them. However, MK Dons would still have had 89 and so would have pipped us for second. Therefore, we would have needed to have won from Cheltenham onwards (all of our final 13 matches in the context of a season where we managed no more than 2 successive wins all season).

Beating Oxford and winning all the remaining matches would have got us to 84 points and made the play-offs. Interestingly that would have been an 8-match winning run off the back of 2 wins and a draw. Or, in other words a 31 point return from 11 matches in a season in which our highest return from 11 matches was 23 points.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2022 22:56]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Random Stat about last season on 07:52 - Oct 10 with 561 viewstractordownsouth

Although we didn’t know it was mathematically impossible by then, when McNally’s goal went in at Oxford I knew we were toast. I think the players knew it too - you could see how deflated they were in the post-match interviews.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Random Stat about last season on 08:03 - Oct 10 with 528 viewstractorboy1978

Not mathematically, but automatic promotion felt over to me when we conceded that last minute equaliser at Cambridge on 16th October last year. 10+ points is a hell of a lot to catch up on teams relentlessly winning games, even at this stage of a season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024