Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
North Sea gas 07:51 - Oct 9 with 1067 viewsPendejo

Who knew British gas is better for the environment than dirty Johnny Foreigner gas

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-63184412

Speaking on BBC Breakfast, Mr Stuart said: "Actually it's good for the environment, because when we burn our own gas it's got lower emissions around its production than foreign gas... as well as supporting British jobs.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

North Sea gas on 08:28 - Oct 9 with 981 viewsGeoffSentence

There probably is an element of truth in that. I don't know about the production methods, but shipping is very dirty. The fuel they use is as filthy as it gets, so piping gas in from nearby is better than bringing it in on tankers from across the world.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

North Sea gas on 08:31 - Oct 9 with 969 viewsDanTheMan

North Sea gas on 08:28 - Oct 9 by GeoffSentence

There probably is an element of truth in that. I don't know about the production methods, but shipping is very dirty. The fuel they use is as filthy as it gets, so piping gas in from nearby is better than bringing it in on tankers from across the world.

It's better than importing it, but it is in no way "good" for the environment.

We've already been told there can be no more new fossil fuels, but they're using the current crisis as a way to get more of it out of the ground. It won't even be operational for years.

We should be focussing on green energy sources and batteries instead.

It's despicable that the fooking climate minister is defending this.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

North Sea gas on 14:55 - Oct 9 with 793 viewsHARRY10

Which conveniently over looks the huge environmental costs of setting up and probable building new oil rigs.

This is basically more old bollox from the Tories as vast amounts of what still remains in the North Sea is not commercially viable*, even with oil prices as they are now. As with fracking.

'Let's make ambitious claims now, and after the thickos have been to sleep for a few times they will have forgotten all about it, as with ................... .levelling up, £350,000 a week and the 40 new deals on day one.'

worth a read - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-24/revitalizing-u-k-s-north-sea-

* as if any evidence was ever needed the not too bright 'stick insect' recently spoke of getting every last drop out of the North Sea
North Sea gas on 22:14 - Oct 9 with 636 viewsNthsuffolkblue

North Sea gas on 08:31 - Oct 9 by DanTheMan

It's better than importing it, but it is in no way "good" for the environment.

We've already been told there can be no more new fossil fuels, but they're using the current crisis as a way to get more of it out of the ground. It won't even be operational for years.

We should be focussing on green energy sources and batteries instead.

It's despicable that the fooking climate minister is defending this.

Fewer fuel miles isn't it? An interesting concept for fuel itself.

Will be more reason for their push for fracking where (some of) the local community (can be paid off to) support it.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

North Sea gas on 22:55 - Oct 9 with 590 viewsghostofescobar

I may be about to make a t1t of myself, but am I right in saying that no gas/oil fields in the North Sea are state (UK) owned, so unless we (the Government) is the highest bidder for the gas/oil out of the North Sea, it doesn’t come our way anyway? So unless we pay more than anyone else, the North Sea stuff goes elsewhere? So our Government has no say on where the resources go, unless we bid top dollar. So giving a green light for drilling just makes the private companies, and their shareholders and senior management, very rich. Doesn’t actually help the UK public much? I am aware I used the word “so” a lot. So……….

GhostOfEscobar

North Sea gas on 22:59 - Oct 9 with 575 viewsNthsuffolkblue

North Sea gas on 22:55 - Oct 9 by ghostofescobar

I may be about to make a t1t of myself, but am I right in saying that no gas/oil fields in the North Sea are state (UK) owned, so unless we (the Government) is the highest bidder for the gas/oil out of the North Sea, it doesn’t come our way anyway? So unless we pay more than anyone else, the North Sea stuff goes elsewhere? So our Government has no say on where the resources go, unless we bid top dollar. So giving a green light for drilling just makes the private companies, and their shareholders and senior management, very rich. Doesn’t actually help the UK public much? I am aware I used the word “so” a lot. So……….

But won't we benefit from taking the lowest rate of corporation tax of any developed nation from the companies' profits? Or are they all registered abroad so that we won't even get that?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

North Sea gas on 06:59 - Oct 10 with 483 viewsSteve_M

Liquifying gas to run it into LNG and ship it has an energy cost which then boils off because it's difficult to keep it at -160 Celsius. The most modern LNG tankers use that boiled off gas to power the ship and can regassify it so transportation losses are minimised but there is an energy cost to moving gas like that.

So, I suppose the point is narrowly correct but misses a far wider point on moving away from fossil fuels. Also, because gas is such a large proportion of the UK energy mix at the moment, the electricity price has been much more affected by rises in gas prices.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

North Sea gas on 08:13 - Oct 10 with 431 viewsOldFart71

Sadly Green is in many cases a fallacy. Anyone who recently watched the BBC with regards to Drax power station would see they are claiming 8 billion a year in Green funds to go from coal to using wood pellets. But some of these pellets are being produce from perfectly good forests. A few years ago I worked on a resin plant. We produced a resin for water based car paint. This was due to reducing solvent emissions. What wasn't told was the waste produced by the making wasn't probably any better than the solvent emissions as you had to have things like inhibitors as you can't just put something water based onto metal. Also what happens to all these batteries that are being put into cars these days once their life runs out? The Government sets targets that cannot be met simply because your ordinary working man/woman has over many years seen real wages shrink and to buy electric cars at £20,000+ and heat pumps at £30,000 along with being told to save for a pension, pay stupid prices for housing, food and fuel where are they to get money for going Green ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024