Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
River Deben 17:37 - Apr 28 with 1128 viewsNthsuffolkblue

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/e-coli-levels-in-suffolk-river-in-th%C3%A9

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/ed-davey-brands-releasing-sewage-into-wate

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

River Deben on 18:03 - Apr 28 with 1054 viewsBlueschev

That really makes me wish I was better at paddleboarding. I've fallen in that filthy water many times, makes me feel ill the thought of it.
River Deben on 18:22 - Apr 28 with 1026 viewsChurchman

Foreign owned water companies need to maximise profit. They’re there for their shareholders operating in a country with a government that is only interested in deregulation and ‘small government’. The priority is in getting costs down, so no investment in the ancient system, minimise repairs, use the rivers and sea and squeeze the customer.

On the latter, where I live they’ve been installing compulsory water meters. Lots of effort in that because there is opportunity with it to wring more out of a captive audience. Repairing leaks, doing something about dumping sewage in the rivers? Nah.

There are solutions but they won’t come from Turnip Coffey and the current muppets in government.
River Deben on 19:25 - Apr 28 with 991 viewsSwansea_Blue

River Deben on 18:22 - Apr 28 by Churchman

Foreign owned water companies need to maximise profit. They’re there for their shareholders operating in a country with a government that is only interested in deregulation and ‘small government’. The priority is in getting costs down, so no investment in the ancient system, minimise repairs, use the rivers and sea and squeeze the customer.

On the latter, where I live they’ve been installing compulsory water meters. Lots of effort in that because there is opportunity with it to wring more out of a captive audience. Repairing leaks, doing something about dumping sewage in the rivers? Nah.

There are solutions but they won’t come from Turnip Coffey and the current muppets in government.

It’s disgusting. I’m a bit surprised there’s not more of an outrage, but not too surprised as there’s barely been a ripple about their corruption or removing our rights either. We’re a ridiculously compliant and apathetic society. Until it comes to arguing on the internet about something like a pitch invasion that may not happen. Imagine if we put all that effort into working towards a fairer society that also took pride in our environment.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 19:26]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

River Deben on 20:11 - Apr 28 with 963 viewsDJR

Our sea scouts' kept their dinghies on the shore at the southern end of Woodbridge back in the seventies, and we sailed, swam, and canoed in the Deben on many occasions.

I don't recall any issues with the quality of the water.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 20:12]
River Deben on 20:27 - Apr 28 with 930 viewsNthQldITFC

River Deben on 18:22 - Apr 28 by Churchman

These bastards need to be out as soon as possible and never allowed back anywhere near government again. They are not fit to be running a country of any size. They are only interested in short-term wealth acquisition for the already wealthy and have no conscience about the environment or the bulk of the human population. They are scum. They are raping our country and we need to stop allowing them to do it. They need to go.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

River Deben on 20:37 - Apr 28 with 914 viewsDJR

River Deben on 20:27 - Apr 28 by NthQldITFC

These bastards need to be out as soon as possible and never allowed back anywhere near government again. They are not fit to be running a country of any size. They are only interested in short-term wealth acquisition for the already wealthy and have no conscience about the environment or the bulk of the human population. They are scum. They are raping our country and we need to stop allowing them to do it. They need to go.

The only thing I would say is that I don't recall Labour doing anything about water privatisation when they were in power.

Indeed, in 2001 our entire garden ended up submerged in over-flowing sewage from a nearby manhole above a mains sewer pipe, which then went into the stream alongside my property which drains into the nearby river.

It transpired that the mains pipe had a bend in it when it reached the main road which prior to privatisation had been regularly cleared but since privatisation that was no longer the case. It was explained to me by the man from Southern Water who came out to clean up that it was cheaper for them to clean up after such an incident than to clean the pipe to prevent such incidents.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 20:47]
River Deben on 21:32 - Apr 28 with 860 viewsNthsuffolkblue

River Deben on 20:37 - Apr 28 by DJR

The only thing I would say is that I don't recall Labour doing anything about water privatisation when they were in power.

Indeed, in 2001 our entire garden ended up submerged in over-flowing sewage from a nearby manhole above a mains sewer pipe, which then went into the stream alongside my property which drains into the nearby river.

It transpired that the mains pipe had a bend in it when it reached the main road which prior to privatisation had been regularly cleared but since privatisation that was no longer the case. It was explained to me by the man from Southern Water who came out to clean up that it was cheaper for them to clean up after such an incident than to clean the pipe to prevent such incidents.

Current Labour are moving towards that Labour Party too (if not already there). It is depressing. They won't be as bad as the current Tory Government but they won't be any better than some of the more moderate Tory ones we have had.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

River Deben on 21:55 - Apr 28 with 839 viewsGeomorph

As an ea insider.. i think i’m right that the environmental component of the agency’s budget has been slashed by 70 plus % under this shower since 2012. That includes the dosh to pay for monitoring and enforcement of pollution.. I know my salary has shrunk so that effectively i now work 5 days a week for 4 days pay 2012 equivalent. The flood defence budget for building concrete monstrosities to protect communities from flooding.. has gone up..
Login to get fewer ads

River Deben on 21:59 - Apr 28 with 830 viewsNthQldITFC

Fair comment, but don't interrupt me when I'm having an anti-Tory rant please!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

River Deben on 22:32 - Apr 28 with 811 viewsfactual_blue

River Deben on 20:11 - Apr 28 by DJR

Our sea scouts' kept their dinghies on the shore at the southern end of Woodbridge back in the seventies, and we sailed, swam, and canoed in the Deben on many occasions.

I don't recall any issues with the quality of the water.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 20:12]

So many euphemisms there....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

River Deben on 08:33 - Apr 29 with 712 viewsDJR

River Deben on 22:32 - Apr 28 by factual_blue

So many euphemisms there....

Oooh err missus!
River Deben on 08:35 - Apr 29 with 709 viewsDJR

River Deben on 21:59 - Apr 28 by NthQldITFC

Fair comment, but don't interrupt me when I'm having an anti-Tory rant please!

You're right to rant. And at least Labour have picked up on this issue, and will hopefully impose stricter regulations.
River Deben on 08:36 - Apr 29 with 706 viewsDJR

River Deben on 21:55 - Apr 28 by Geomorph

As an ea insider.. i think i’m right that the environmental component of the agency’s budget has been slashed by 70 plus % under this shower since 2012. That includes the dosh to pay for monitoring and enforcement of pollution.. I know my salary has shrunk so that effectively i now work 5 days a week for 4 days pay 2012 equivalent. The flood defence budget for building concrete monstrosities to protect communities from flooding.. has gone up..

This has undoubtedly helped companies like Southern Water (I think the worst offender of all) to get away with even more.

And on the flooding front, when I moved to our property 25 years ago, the local drainage board used to keep the banks of the stream next to my house free of vegetation to limit the risk of flooding. In the mid-2000s those functions were transferred to the EA, and since then there has been no such clearance.

On the other hand, the flood barrier near town I live in (I believe the biggest in the UK) is being raised by about a metre, which does confirm what you say.

By the way, as a former civil servant, I sympathise with your plight on the pay front.

[Post edited 29 Apr 2023 8:45]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024