Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any recommendations for a new email account provider pls, TWTD hive? 22:18 - Nov 16 with 1428 viewsRyorry

Outlook/hotmail has been getting worse & worse - I now get c. 100 junk emails daily, of which c 75% are phishing/spam, increasing numbers of them in my inbox rsther than junk - while despite all the filters set, 'safe senders' on my list aren't getting through at all, simply never arrive in any folde, disappear to the ether.

Doesn't help that I've been using the old outlook one since about 1998, so have had a long time to be tagged, & at least half of the junk is from the USA.

Only essentials are that it's free & reliable.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Any recommendations for a new email account provider pls, TWTD hive? on 07:00 - Nov 17 with 1226 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

Gmail. Built in spam filters catch most actual spam. I still get loads of advertising stuff but mainly from sellers I’ve used before. These are normally auto filtered into “promotions” tab, and generally you can unsubscribe from most of these if you wish.
Any recommendations for a new email account provider pls, TWTD hive? on 07:12 - Nov 17 with 1217 viewsDanTheMan

As above poster said, GMail is your best bet really.

One thing to consider, if you need to make an account on something but it's for one off use, consider using Firefox Relay.

https://relay.firefox.com/

Combine that with something like Bitwarden for keeping your usernames and passwords together and you should have a nice clean inbox.

Another trick you can also do with Gmail, if you're email is something@gmail.com, you can add a plus (+) after everything before the @ and it will still get sent to you. So for example you could use something+throwaway@gmail.com for anything that requires and email you don't care about and then create a filter in your inbox to just archive that stuff immediately.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Any recommendations for a new email account provider pls, TWTD hive? on 08:37 - Nov 17 with 1154 viewswkj

Always have 2 personal email addresses. One for signing up for services and is never used for anything but, and another for correspondence which never goes anywhere near any kind of webform or service sign ups.

When it comes to Emails, free isn't without cost

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Any recommendations for a new email account provider pls, TWTD hive? on 08:56 - Nov 17 with 1122 viewsNthQldITFC

GMX, German, highly reliable.

https://www.gmx.com/

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Any recommendations for a new email account provider pls, TWTD hive? on 08:59 - Nov 17 with 1114 viewsDJR

I use yahoo.co.uk which works well.

I've used it for about 13 years and rarely get junk mail, but maybe that's because of the sites etc. I sign up to.
Any recommendations for a new email account provider pls, TWTD hive? on 10:12 - Nov 17 with 1023 viewsRyorry

Any recommendations for a new email account provider pls, TWTD hive? on 07:12 - Nov 17 by DanTheMan

As above poster said, GMail is your best bet really.

One thing to consider, if you need to make an account on something but it's for one off use, consider using Firefox Relay.

https://relay.firefox.com/

Combine that with something like Bitwarden for keeping your usernames and passwords together and you should have a nice clean inbox.

Another trick you can also do with Gmail, if you're email is something@gmail.com, you can add a plus (+) after everything before the @ and it will still get sent to you. So for example you could use something+throwaway@gmail.com for anything that requires and email you don't care about and then create a filter in your inbox to just archive that stuff immediately.

Many thanks Dan & everyone else for all the excellent ideas/suggestions, particularly yours here & wkj's re keeping a separate account for sign-ups.

I do have another account which is gmail, legacy of 2006-16 when I ran a racing forum, & it's certainly excellent at keeping out spam but one thing about its functionality that I dislike is it grouping emails into convos when I've specifically set it to not do that. Also poor in formatting. But as a temp sign-ups acct., those might not matter. My old site had tried Yahoo too, but I disliked the volume & intrusiveness of its advertising.

When I was searching last night, I found this -

https://www.wisestamp.com/blog/free-email-providers/

I liked the look of no. 6, GMX international, esp for its large attachment allowance of up to 50Mb - having previously found both outlook & gmail frustrating in refusing to send more than 2 photos or videos over about 8 seconds - so with NQld having recommended it, that's certainly one I'll be investigating.

For anyone else thinking of Outlook, I'd say don't be put off by my experience, which is probably more down to it being 25 yrs old, and one of the old .com (rather than .co.uk) accounts. It has a 'report phishing' option when categorizing your mail (one reason I stuck with it for so long) and excellent support, including over the phone.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Any recommendations for a new email account provider pls, TWTD hive? on 10:59 - Nov 17 with 981 viewsronnyd

Any recommendations for a new email account provider pls, TWTD hive? on 07:00 - Nov 17 by muhrensleftfoot

Gmail. Built in spam filters catch most actual spam. I still get loads of advertising stuff but mainly from sellers I’ve used before. These are normally auto filtered into “promotions” tab, and generally you can unsubscribe from most of these if you wish.

Yes, i agree. I set up a Gmail account three years ago when AOL got silly and i think i've only had a handful of spam messages in all that time.
Any recommendations for a new email account provider pls, TWTD hive? on 16:17 - Nov 17 with 903 viewsmidastouch

Any recommendations for a new email account provider pls, TWTD hive? on 08:37 - Nov 17 by wkj

Always have 2 personal email addresses. One for signing up for services and is never used for anything but, and another for correspondence which never goes anywhere near any kind of webform or service sign ups.

When it comes to Emails, free isn't without cost

This is another useful way too:
https://www.howtogeek.com/829693/how-to-use-duckduckgos-duck-dot-com-email-prote
The Private Duck Address Generator feature can be handy.

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Login to get fewer ads

Any recommendations for a new email account provider pls, TWTD hive? on 17:20 - Nov 17 with 856 viewsgainsboroughblue

I was thinking of a new year, clean slate type email change because of endless spam but wondering if just deleting/unsubscribing etc as emails come in will reduce the amount of rubbish that comes in.

It's mainly sites where I've made one off purchases. I suspect in the next month, loads more will be popping up with their seasonal promotions.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024