Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game 23:03 - Aug 6 with 4532 viewschrice

On BBC 2 right now and available on iPlayer. Horrifying watch. So much more needs to be done.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08z2jpc/gareth-thomas-v-homophobia-hate-in
Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 23:43 - Aug 6 with 4473 viewsbournemouthblue

I have just watched it and agree with what Thomas is putting forward

It was a bit predictable at times, there's no way Leeds are a proportional representation of football fans nor would you expect the trolls of Crystal Palace to be particularly friendly to Brighton fans

I'm surprised some fans weren't prepared to meet him at the end but we need to know the context of how he approached that, we saw a video of him challenging them to meet him but how hard did he actually work to get those people to meet? You really have to be pushy with Social Media, did he put the effort in or was it an easy sting to put those fans down

I'd expect TWTD or Loft for Words to get some people rising to that challenge but these are two forums which are active and more mature than many others out there

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 23:51 - Aug 6 with 4453 viewsblueoxford

Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 23:43 - Aug 6 by bournemouthblue

I have just watched it and agree with what Thomas is putting forward

It was a bit predictable at times, there's no way Leeds are a proportional representation of football fans nor would you expect the trolls of Crystal Palace to be particularly friendly to Brighton fans

I'm surprised some fans weren't prepared to meet him at the end but we need to know the context of how he approached that, we saw a video of him challenging them to meet him but how hard did he actually work to get those people to meet? You really have to be pushy with Social Media, did he put the effort in or was it an easy sting to put those fans down

I'd expect TWTD or Loft for Words to get some people rising to that challenge but these are two forums which are active and more mature than many others out there

Pretty embarrassing watch for both the PFA and the FA. No plan in place.
Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 23:56 - Aug 6 with 4438 viewsbournemouthblue

Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 23:51 - Aug 6 by blueoxford

Pretty embarrassing watch for both the PFA and the FA. No plan in place.

I missed the Gordan Taylor bit but yes absolutely, it should have the same kind of focus as kick it out

I think Twitter actually has moved the focus back to racism, the Twitter trolls again are a strange breed and certainly not reflective of society imho

Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 07:43 - Aug 7 with 4333 viewsRIPbobby

It was an interesting watch. Especially they American lad talking about the tribal chanting etc and how bad it was. I think things like this have improved a lot over the years, but is not completely eradicated yet. Football used to be the working man's game, but I think this has changed a lot the last 10 years to a bit more family orientated.

The pfa lady didn't do herself any favours at all. She said quite a few words without saying anything at all. She was nervous and stammered badly trying to justify her role of 17 years. An interesting sound bite from gareth was along the lines of "clubs were not really sure what to do, so they do nothing".

Surely the pfa and fa should have asked gareth what he thought they were doing wrong.

Worth a watch if you get a bit if spare time.
Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 07:49 - Aug 7 with 4320 viewschrice

Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 23:56 - Aug 6 by bournemouthblue

I missed the Gordan Taylor bit but yes absolutely, it should have the same kind of focus as kick it out

I think Twitter actually has moved the focus back to racism, the Twitter trolls again are a strange breed and certainly not reflective of society imho

Online idiots clearly aren't reflective of wider society but I'm pretty sure he could have followed Brighton to many away ground and heard homophobic chants last season.

He certainly would have heard them if he came to Portman Road.
Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 08:19 - Aug 7 with 4290 viewsbournemouthblue

Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 07:49 - Aug 7 by chrice

Online idiots clearly aren't reflective of wider society but I'm pretty sure he could have followed Brighton to many away ground and heard homophobic chants last season.

Which is amateur really given banner gate

That has been a huge missed banter opportunity there, we should be calling them the banner dodgers etc

Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 10:18 - Aug 7 with 4220 viewsTJS

Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 07:49 - Aug 7 by chrice

Hang on a minute.
I have been in the more vocal parts of the SBR lower the last few times Brighton visited and apart from maybe the occasional individual idiotic comment shouted out there was no homophobic chanting.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2017 10:19]
Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 12:12 - Aug 7 with 4154 viewsconnorscontract

Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 10:18 - Aug 7 by TJS

Hang on a minute.
I have been in the more vocal parts of the SBR lower the last few times Brighton visited and apart from maybe the occasional individual idiotic comment shouted out there was no homophobic chanting.

1. "Occasional individual idiotic comments" still count.
2. More likely to be on the Portman Road side of SAR as that is adjacent to the Away fans. Maybe 3 seasons ago some of the Brighton fans got very shirty with some Ipswich fans who they, I think, were saying were being homophobic. Brighton fans got out a video camera (very old skool) and video'd the ITFC fans. Lots of pushing and shouting and barging past stewards, quite a few of them got ejected, to jeers from SAR, which wound them up more etc etc.
Login to get fewer ads

Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 17:30 - Aug 7 with 4087 viewschrice

Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 10:18 - Aug 7 by TJS

Hang on a minute.

I disagree. I've heard several homophobic chants from a good number of people in the last few years.
Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 19:26 - Aug 7 with 4015 viewsblue_oyster

But what should be done. Should we ban 'abuse' at football matches? Who are you allowed to 'abuse'?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 19:28 - Aug 7 with 4001 viewsyorkshireblue

I highly recommend his autobiography if you've not read it - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Proud-My-Autobiography-Gareth-Thomas/0091958334

Also, if it is ever on again the play of his life - Crouch, Touch, Pause, Engage
Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 19:55 - Aug 7 with 3957 viewstractorboy7777

Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 19:26 - Aug 7 by blue_oyster

But what should be done. Should we ban 'abuse' at football matches? Who are you allowed to 'abuse'?

Calling someone a poof isn't 'abuse' as you're referring to! The 'abuse' you are talking about is the one where you constantly on the back of an opposition player, making it difficult for them to play! Not chucking offensive names at them.

The telling thing last night was that most players didn't bother wearing the rainbow laces in support whereas kick it out is supported by all. They're laces for god sake! Nobody would even notice!

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 20:04 - Aug 7 with 3944 viewsblue_oyster

Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 19:55 - Aug 7 by tractorboy7777

Calling someone a poof isn't 'abuse' as you're referring to! The 'abuse' you are talking about is the one where you constantly on the back of an opposition player, making it difficult for them to play! Not chucking offensive names at them.

The telling thing last night was that most players didn't bother wearing the rainbow laces in support whereas kick it out is supported by all. They're laces for god sake! Nobody would even notice!

No idea then?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 20:13 - Aug 7 with 3924 viewstractorboy7777

Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game on 20:04 - Aug 7 by blue_oyster

No idea then?

Create a law much like the one against racism.

The fact so few want to support it makes it all the more difficult! Unfortunately nothing will happen until a top player comes out but then they won't feel comfortable to do so without support of those at the top. A vicious circle.

People say that players don't need to come out as it's nothing to do with football, but if one player coming out encourages teenagers who are coming to terms with their sexuality to feel comfortable that they can be part of football.

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024