Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
CB Cover 12:17 - Aug 19 with 4919 viewskizaitfc

I don't understand Mick getting all irate with Stuart Watson over claims we could have had cover with Taylor

I'm not saying Taylor was the answer but if Mick has no plans of playing the young cb, how were we ever going to get through a season with 3 cbs, particularly when 2 are pretty injury prone. Especially if Mick also plans to make 3 at the back an tactic for us this season, having another cb in the team would have been great.

We now stand the risk of losing 3 points and getting kicked out of the cup

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

CB Cover on 12:19 - Aug 19 with 3801 viewsBLUEGOLD

And we had 4 last year, with Taylor brought in to cover Webster when he was injured.

Maybe he classes Iorfa as the extra one, but to my mind he replaces Emmanuel.

We lost Berra and didn't replace him, hence our current problem.

They knew about Chambers on Wednesday, so to fail to get someone in is pretty poor management by MM and the club.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2017 12:21]
CB Cover on 12:20 - Aug 19 with 3784 viewskizaitfc

CB Cover on 12:19 - Aug 19 by BLUEGOLD

And we had 4 last year, with Taylor brought in to cover Webster when he was injured.

They knew about Chambers on Wednesday, so to fail to get someone in is pretty poor management by MM and the club.

Hes always beena great believer in the 2 for every position rule yet hasnt followed it the season. Then dnaps when someone asks him why, think he knows he has done wrong here

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

CB Cover on 12:21 - Aug 19 with 3771 viewsITFCBlues

Well, we can deal with 2 being out at the same time. What are the chances of having all three injured at the same time!?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

CB Cover on 12:23 - Aug 19 with 3754 viewskizaitfc

CB Cover on 12:21 - Aug 19 by ITFCBlues

Well, we can deal with 2 being out at the same time. What are the chances of having all three injured at the same time!?

Did you not see how we defended Tuesday night, I would argue we can't deal with 2 injured.

Spence is not a CB, and why he isn't playing iorfa there instead I have no idea

CB Cover on 12:27 - Aug 19 with 3720 viewsGuthrum

CB Cover on 12:19 - Aug 19 by BLUEGOLD

Yes, he got Taylor in after Webster was injured. Much the same as now.

And just three days to find a Championship-capable, fit, senior player who is available and willing to come in as a short-term backup, within a reasonable price range, is quite a tall order!

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

CB Cover on 12:29 - Aug 19 with 3702 viewsTractorWood

CB Cover on 12:20 - Aug 19 by kizaitfc

Hes always beena great believer in the 2 for every position rule yet hasnt followed it the season. Then dnaps when someone asks him why, think he knows he has done wrong here

Hence why people avoid asking MM the tough questions. It's obvious we need cover and he's probably trying to sort it. Taylor is injury prone so it's hindsight really. Berra was good for 30+ games a season and we need to get someone in who isn't injury prone.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

CB Cover on 12:29 - Aug 19 with 3690 viewskizaitfc

CB Cover on 12:27 - Aug 19 by Guthrum

Yes, he got Taylor in after Webster was injured. Much the same as now.

And just three days to find a Championship-capable, fit, senior player who is available and willing to come in as a short-term backup, within a reasonable price range, is quite a tall order!

No we had 4 cbs last year

Smith
Berra
Webster
Chambers

That's the way most teams run

CB Cover on 12:31 - Aug 19 with 3672 viewsBLUEGOLD

CB Cover on 12:21 - Aug 19 by ITFCBlues

If we had 4 centre backs like last year we could have coped with that and played the extra player next to Spence and Knudsen, or my preference of Iorfa and Knudsen.

Webster was injured for most of last year and Tommy has also had spells out injured on a regular basis.

Chambers is the only one who has been fit all of the time.

Mick took a chance and it hasn't worked, which I can accept, but he knew on Wednesday that Chambers was out for a while and needed to get someone in on loan quickly, which he failed to do, so that now makes today a much harder game with more square pegs in round holes, possibly 3 full backs at centre half and a midfielder at wing back.

We are playing with 3 centre halfs this season, so you clearly need more than 3 don't you!!!
[Post edited 19 Aug 2017 12:38]
Login to get fewer ads

CB Cover on 12:33 - Aug 19 with 3650 viewspointofblue

We've got seven first team defenders in the squad - Spence, Iorfa, Knudsen, Kenlock, Chambers, Webster and Smith. I guess Mick would argue if we lose one centre back we're covered by Spence dropping in and, if we lose two, Knudsen can do the same in a back three. We're might see how both cope in a back two today but if they both have nightmares I won't be blaming them - we really needed further centre back cover even before these injuries. The question is did Evans not supply the money needed for that or did Mick decide he had enough? If the latter then he's quickly being proven wrong.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

CB Cover on 12:41 - Aug 19 with 3591 viewsGuthrum

CB Cover on 12:29 - Aug 19 by kizaitfc

No we had 4 cbs last year

Smith
Berra
Webster
Chambers

That's the way most teams run

We migh have started last season with a nominal four, but Chambers was still our primary right back and we didn't replace Smith when he was out for all that time with his back injury. So for most of the season, we effectively had three.

CB Cover on 12:45 - Aug 19 with 3548 viewsBlueSpark

We have Chambers Smith and Webster, that's 3.
At a push you could include (and I'm sure Mick does) that Iorfa Knudsen and Spence can all play CB competently. 6 overall, but yes only 3 "proper" CB's.

However my main point to add is what Mick said just after about getting someone in "just in case all 3 guys are injured", that's not going to persuade many footballers is it? Especially with such a small space of time left to find one. So you have to be reasonable.
CB Cover on 12:47 - Aug 19 with 3534 viewsJ2BLUE

It was needlessly snippy IMO but you can't blame MM for being annoyed answering daft questions when he needs to be finding cover. Most teams have 4 CBs and our skimping on cover at CB has long been one of my main irritants.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect 8 defenders in the squad. The fourth option at CB doesn't need to be a world beater, just someone who can start 5-6 games a season, provide cover on the bench and not be out of their depth.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

CB Cover on 12:47 - Aug 19 with 3530 viewskizaitfc

CB Cover on 12:41 - Aug 19 by Guthrum

We migh have started last season with a nominal four, but Chambers was still our primary right back and we didn't replace Smith when he was out for all that time with his back injury. So for most of the season, we effectively had three.

Massive difference is chambers is a decent cb, Spence and Knudsen are not.

And as you say Smith and webster were injured last season, so why risk the chance of that happening again

CB Cover on 12:48 - Aug 19 with 3518 viewspointofblue

CB Cover on 12:45 - Aug 19 by BlueSpark

At a push you could include (and I'm sure Mick does) that Iorfa Knudsen and Spence can all play CB competently. 6 overall, but yes only 3 "proper" CB's.

However my main point to add is what Mick said just after about getting someone in "just in case all 3 guys are injured", that's not going to persuade many footballers is it? Especially with such a small space of time left to find one. So you have to be reasonable.

Though didn't Mick also say if the replacement came in and played well they would become first choice? That should have been the attitude from the off when seeking another centre back and that should have happened over the summer - not now we have none available.

CB Cover on 12:48 - Aug 19 with 3517 viewsartsbossbeard

I'm sure that I read that Taylor wasn't looking to be classed as cover and wanted regular footy.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

CB Cover on 12:49 - Aug 19 with 3511 viewskizaitfc

CB Cover on 12:45 - Aug 19 by BlueSpark

Well you say that but if they signed yesterday they'd be getting a month to impress

This is not the only time Smith and webster will be injured I can assure you

Additionally if Mick plays 3 at cb there's more spaces for that extra defender

CB Cover on 12:50 - Aug 19 with 3507 viewsGuthrum

CB Cover on 12:47 - Aug 19 by J2BLUE

It was needlessly snippy IMO but you can't blame MM for being annoyed answering daft questions when he needs to be finding cover. Most teams have 4 CBs and our skimping on cover at CB has long been one of my main irritants.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect 8 defenders in the squad. The fourth option at CB doesn't need to be a world beater, just someone who can start 5-6 games a season, provide cover on the bench and not be out of their depth.

But who is going to be willing to fulfill those criteria?

Knowing he may not even make the bench for much of the season, stuck in the U23s at best. If he's young, his career would effectively be on hold, if towards the end of his playing life, maintaining fitness could be an issue. And if he's at all good, he'd be in demand and wanting to play (which is why we lost Taylor).

CB Cover on 12:51 - Aug 19 with 3494 viewsGuthrum

CB Cover on 12:47 - Aug 19 by kizaitfc

And as you say Smith and webster were injured last season, so why risk the chance of that happening again

Who's going to want to be a 4th-choice CB (and at the same time is worth having)?

CB Cover on 12:54 - Aug 19 with 3476 viewskizaitfc

CB Cover on 12:51 - Aug 19 by Guthrum

Who's going to want to be a 4th-choice CB (and at the same time is worth having)?

He has a month to prove he is better than a 4th CB

CB Cover on 12:56 - Aug 19 with 3455 viewspointofblue

CB Cover on 12:51 - Aug 19 by Guthrum

The whole outlook shouldn't be "you're fourth choice centre back" though - "it should be prove your worth over pre-season and give me a headache on opening day". Mick's loyalty to the centre backs has resulted in our undoing here; there's nothing wrong with supporting the likes of Smith and Webster but they need to be challenged when fit too. I'm pretty sure Berra played more games than the pair of them last year.

CB Cover on 12:57 - Aug 19 with 3443 viewsBLUEGOLD

CB Cover on 12:47 - Aug 19 by kizaitfc

Ho took a chance and it hasn't worked out.

Spence or Iorfa are his right backs, Knudsen or Kenlock his left backs and Smith, Webster & Chambers are his centre backs.

Last year he had Berra extra, as Iorfa replaces Emmanuel and Taylor and Spence both came in for Webster when he was injured.

With us playing 3 centre backs and not wanting to use Kenlock unless he has no option, he needed 4.

Let's see what happens next week, but today is a much harder game because of the lack of cover. He could have made up for that by getting someone in quickly, but didn't do that either.

If we win today, it is despite of the above situation.
CB Cover on 12:59 - Aug 19 with 3423 viewsGuthrum

CB Cover on 12:29 - Aug 19 by TractorWood

Hence why people avoid asking MM the tough questions. It's obvious we need cover and he's probably trying to sort it. Taylor is injury prone so it's hindsight really. Berra was good for 30+ games a season and we need to get someone in who isn't injury prone.

Chambers almost never gets injured (enough to stop him playing), but he is now.

Just because it's happened, doesn't mean to say that having three players in the same position injured simultaneously is a very likely thing. That's why the question was prefaced: "Hindsight's a wonderful thing and no-one could have foreseen ...".

CB Cover on 13:04 - Aug 19 with 3387 viewsGuthrum

CB Cover on 12:56 - Aug 19 by pointofblue

The whole outlook shouldn't be "you're fourth choice centre back" though - "it should be prove your worth over pre-season and give me a headache on opening day". Mick's loyalty to the centre backs has resulted in our undoing here; there's nothing wrong with supporting the likes of Smith and Webster but they need to be challenged when fit too. I'm pretty sure Berra played more games than the pair of them last year.

Except you're trying to overthrow three players already established at the club (one of them the Captain). Your task is much harder than the others. And if you think you're that good, with no fitness or form concerns, why try to squeeze your way into the Ipswich team at all? There's more money elsewhere for less effort, filling a vacancy as someone else's first choice.

CB Cover on 13:07 - Aug 19 with 3367 viewsGuthrum

CB Cover on 12:54 - Aug 19 by kizaitfc

He has a month to prove he is better than a 4th CB

He has now, but not before the season started.

With all the matches over the last couple of weeks (many of them away), there's been precious little time to sort out any cover after the problem started to develop.

CB Cover on 13:10 - Aug 19 with 3352 viewsGuthrum

CB Cover on 12:57 - Aug 19 by BLUEGOLD

Ho took a chance and it hasn't worked out.

Spence or Iorfa are his right backs, Knudsen or Kenlock his left backs and Smith, Webster & Chambers are his centre backs.

Last year he had Berra extra, as Iorfa replaces Emmanuel and Taylor and Spence both came in for Webster when he was injured.

With us playing 3 centre backs and not wanting to use Kenlock unless he has no option, he needed 4.

Let's see what happens next week, but today is a much harder game because of the lack of cover. He could have made up for that by getting someone in quickly, but didn't do that either.

If we win today, it is despite of the above situation.

I say again, how the heck was he supposed to get someone - who was going to be effective - in 'quickly'? Three days!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024