Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting article on the cultural and scientific effects of an eclipse 10:57 - Aug 21 with 1318 viewsSteve_M

https://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21726681-months-eclipse-cultural-much-sc

And for those wondering when future ones will be:

https://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21726680-new-zealanders-will-do-pretty-w

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Interesting article on the cultural and scientific effects of an eclipse on 11:21 - Aug 21 with 1287 viewsITFC_Forever

There's a couple of good ones in 2081 and 2090 to look forward to.

I can remember the one in 1999... we went on holiday to Cornwall a few weeks before the it happened and my auntie who lives down there was telling us that landowners / farmers had been encouraged to spend money on facilities to open up their land for people to camp by the Cornish Tourist Board as they were anticipating such high numbers of visitors.

Of course, in the event, while it was very busy down there, they didn't get the numbers they expected and a lot of people lost money.

I was in Norwich on the day it happened, and can remember the light fading, but not as it does in the evening, but as if someone had adjusted the colour / brightness settings on a tv.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2017 13:49]

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Interesting article on the cultural and scientific effects of an eclipse on 11:24 - Aug 21 with 1282 viewsIllinoisblue

Currently in the Nashville area and judging the number of street vendors selling t-shirts, glasses and even car flags it's going to be a big deal today. Numerous bars offering rooftop viewing packages too.

Local police predicting massive traffic delays and warnings all along the highway telling people not to park on the shoulder during the eclipse.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Interesting article on the cultural and scientific effects of an eclipse on 11:29 - Aug 21 with 1271 viewsPendejo

Interesting article on the cultural and scientific effects of an eclipse on 11:21 - Aug 21 by ITFC_Forever

There's a couple of good ones in 2081 and 2090 to look forward to.

I can remember the one in 1999... we went on holiday to Cornwall a few weeks before the it happened and my auntie who lives down there was telling us that landowners / farmers had been encouraged to spend money on facilities to open up their land for people to camp by the Cornish Tourist Board as they were anticipating such high numbers of visitors.

Of course, in the event, while it was very busy down there, they didn't get the numbers they expected and a lot of people lost money.

I was in Norwich on the day it happened, and can remember the light fading, but not as it does in the evening, but as if someone had adjusted the colour / brightness settings on a tv.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2017 13:49]

I was in the CIS Tower in Miller Street Manchester for the 1999 eclipse and remember thinking... "is that it?"

By the time the 2081 & 2090 ones come around I will be nothing but a collection of ashes buried in a time capsule waiting for technology to advance so I can be reanimated by just adding beer

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Interesting article on the cultural and scientific effects of an eclipse on 13:12 - Aug 21 with 1243 viewsGuthrum

Interesting article on the cultural and scientific effects of an eclipse on 11:29 - Aug 21 by Pendejo

I was in the CIS Tower in Miller Street Manchester for the 1999 eclipse and remember thinking... "is that it?"

By the time the 2081 & 2090 ones come around I will be nothing but a collection of ashes buried in a time capsule waiting for technology to advance so I can be reanimated by just adding beer

Manchester was a bit far north for that one. In Cheltenham it was fairly spectacular (sun reduced to a thin sliver, going dark, birds and insects landing). Cornwall was the only area which got totality and much of that was cloudy.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Interesting article on the cultural and scientific effects of an eclipse on 13:22 - Aug 21 with 1232 viewsRegencyBlue

Interesting article on the cultural and scientific effects of an eclipse on 13:12 - Aug 21 by Guthrum

Manchester was a bit far north for that one. In Cheltenham it was fairly spectacular (sun reduced to a thin sliver, going dark, birds and insects landing). Cornwall was the only area which got totality and much of that was cloudy.

I remember the 1999 one, living in Hadleigh.

It wasn't total, obviously, but it was enough to make the temperature drop noticeably and it was dark enough for the birds to start acting as if it were dusk.

Only lasted a few minutes but it was memorable!
Interesting article on the cultural and scientific effects of an eclipse on 13:23 - Aug 21 with 1227 viewsSwansea_Blue

Interesting article on the cultural and scientific effects of an eclipse on 11:24 - Aug 21 by Illinoisblue

Currently in the Nashville area and judging the number of street vendors selling t-shirts, glasses and even car flags it's going to be a big deal today. Numerous bars offering rooftop viewing packages too.

Local police predicting massive traffic delays and warnings all along the highway telling people not to park on the shoulder during the eclipse.

The world's gone nuts in Oregon. We're on our way home as internal flights out of Portland at least triple in price now for the next few days - might get a show of the eclipse in the air on our next leg as we're delayed. Silver lining and all that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Interesting article on the cultural and scientific effects of an eclipse on 13:24 - Aug 21 with 1220 viewsIllinoisblue

Interesting article on the cultural and scientific effects of an eclipse on 13:23 - Aug 21 by Swansea_Blue

The world's gone nuts in Oregon. We're on our way home as internal flights out of Portland at least triple in price now for the next few days - might get a show of the eclipse in the air on our next leg as we're delayed. Silver lining and all that.

Hopefully youll get to see it. Car rental places at Nashville airport have tripled their prices.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024