Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bonfires 13:55 - Sep 23 with 2138 viewsRobTheMonk

Is there an unwritten code on when to have one? It's a lovely sunny day here in Oxfordshire and the people across the road have a massive one with the smoke blowing our way. It's like Steven King's the mist in our garden. Loads of washing on the line.
Bonfires on 13:58 - Sep 23 with 2133 viewsjeera

Top tip: take the washing in.

It is inconsiderate and really if I've burnt stuff I tend to light it in the evening for that reason.

What an you do though? Not everyone is so thoughtful.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Bonfires on 14:02 - Sep 23 with 2114 viewsAdmiralFunge

After dark, surely?

Daytime bonfire lighters are the reason we're in this sorry mess.

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

Bonfires on 14:08 - Sep 23 with 2091 viewsBlue_Order

The Eleventh Night.
Bonfires on 14:18 - Sep 23 with 2066 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

6pm is the earliest I believe

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Bonfires on 14:23 - Sep 23 with 2060 viewsjeera

Bonfires on 14:18 - Sep 23 by The_Romford_Blue

That's just the rioting habits around your way.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Bonfires on 14:26 - Sep 23 with 2040 viewscaught-in-limbo

Bonfire night?

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Bonfires on 14:36 - Sep 23 with 2017 viewsgerard1947

Bonfires on 14:18 - Sep 23 by The_Romford_Blue

Depends where you live. As I understand it there are places where bonfires aren't allowed at all. I've never heard of an after 6pm restriction although there are local bylaws in some places. I have the occasional burn up for things that don't compost very well. I never burn anything that hasn't grown and am aware of wind direction.There are laws on having a bonfire near roads where smoke restricts drivers vision.

It's all about common sense and consideration for neighbours and passers by I reckon. Another key precaution in a few weeks is make sure hedgehogs haven't hibernated in anything to be burned.
Bonfires on 14:59 - Sep 23 with 1963 viewsRobTheMonk

Mum just phoned to tell them they're smoking us out. They came out and had a look, but there was a lull in the wind so not much smoke. Went back in, 5 minutes later, winds back, obviously added more fuel to the fire as it's like tear gas down the street.
Login to get fewer ads

Bonfires on 15:01 - Sep 23 with 1955 viewsBenters

If its garden rubbish you can burn the crap 24/7.

Tyres and what have you not so.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Bonfires on 15:18 - Sep 23 with 1920 viewsbrogansnose

Bonfires on 14:36 - Sep 23 by gerard1947

Depends where you live. As I understand it there are places where bonfires aren't allowed at all. I've never heard of an after 6pm restriction although there are local bylaws in some places. I have the occasional burn up for things that don't compost very well. I never burn anything that hasn't grown and am aware of wind direction.There are laws on having a bonfire near roads where smoke restricts drivers vision.

It's all about common sense and consideration for neighbours and passers by I reckon. Another key precaution in a few weeks is make sure hedgehogs haven't hibernated in anything to be burned.

Also not supposed to have one within a certain distance from a rail line, which is likely not applicable in this case. If they're burning ceratin waste like tyres and plastic then call environmental health.............................who'll come out next week.
Bonfires on 15:34 - Sep 23 with 1899 viewsBenters

Bonfires on 15:18 - Sep 23 by brogansnose

Also not supposed to have one within a certain distance from a rail line, which is likely not applicable in this case. If they're burning ceratin waste like tyres and plastic then call environmental health.............................who'll come out next week.

Blimey you sound like you live in South Africa !

Gentlybentley

Bonfires on 15:42 - Sep 23 with 1878 viewsbrogansnose

Bonfires on 15:34 - Sep 23 by Benters

Blimey you sound like you live in South Africa !

Its a Fen thing.
Bonfires on 15:45 - Sep 23 with 1871 viewsBenters

Bonfires on 15:42 - Sep 23 by brogansnose

Its a Fen thing.

Boom ! Eel catcher !

Gentlybentley

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024