Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our style of play 19:36 - Dec 28 with 6764 viewsNazemariner

I’m convinced that it is the reason we pick up so many injuries. I’m not having that our physios are poor, or that our preparation is inadequate. Wasn’t there a start that, as a team we covered more distance than any other in the league? Or did I make that up in my head? Either way, when you press like we do, and compete physically like we tend to, you will enevitably pick up more injuries.

Just my take on things really.
Our style of play on 19:56 - Dec 28 with 6728 viewsHerbivore

Bishop, Adeyemi and Huws have barely played any games though, and they are the main ones who keep breaking down and who seem unable to stay fit. Skuse got a knock, Didz was injured by a horror tackle. Not sure what the issues are with Nydam and Downes but neither has played much lately.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Our style of play on 23:19 - Dec 28 with 6619 viewsDubtractor

Our style of play on 19:56 - Dec 28 by Herbivore

Bishop, Adeyemi and Huws have barely played any games though, and they are the main ones who keep breaking down and who seem unable to stay fit. Skuse got a knock, Didz was injured by a horror tackle. Not sure what the issues are with Nydam and Downes but neither has played much lately.

"Bishop, Adeyemi and Huws have barely played any games though"

Could that be part of the issue though - to come from a layoff into the remarkably high tempo game we play must be tough?

I don't recall ever seeing a town team press as hard as the current one does. We must be horrible to try and play against!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Our style of play on 00:08 - Dec 29 with 6578 viewsRocky

So are we too fit? Or not fit enough?
I really think this whole injury stuff has been over analysed.
There are enough sticks to beat Mick with, but the injury crisis is just one of those things that happen to every club once in a while.
Our style of play on 00:30 - Dec 29 with 6555 viewspelles321

Seems unlikley. Adeyemi and Huws injuries began in pre-season. Dozzell first game of the season, and Bishop his first start of the season. Both in the first half too.

I don't think Mick has rushed people back from injuries, usually play for u23s, then off the bench for a few games to get them back into it. Also, a lot of the long -term injuries have been impact injuries, so they've got a kick in the wrong place at the wrong time and it's done a lot of damage. Not sure that will link to style of play.

With the number of games played in the championship, you will get injuries, and we have had a bad run of it this year. Pity being it's all our best passers, meaning not many options for the style of play we can use!
Our style of play on 06:28 - Dec 29 with 6499 viewsblueislander

Our style of play on 00:30 - Dec 29 by pelles321

Seems unlikley. Adeyemi and Huws injuries began in pre-season. Dozzell first game of the season, and Bishop his first start of the season. Both in the first half too.

I don't think Mick has rushed people back from injuries, usually play for u23s, then off the bench for a few games to get them back into it. Also, a lot of the long -term injuries have been impact injuries, so they've got a kick in the wrong place at the wrong time and it's done a lot of damage. Not sure that will link to style of play.

With the number of games played in the championship, you will get injuries, and we have had a bad run of it this year. Pity being it's all our best passers, meaning not many options for the style of play we can use!

The surprising thing about the injuries to the midfielders is that they are not strains in the neck area.
Our style of play on 07:34 - Dec 29 with 6465 viewsTLA

Our style of play on 00:30 - Dec 29 by pelles321

I think you're on to something with the number of games in such a competitive league. Fewer games might help but I know there will always be counter arguments (players playing every game etc.).

That comment did start a train of thought about a re-structure of our leagues in England.

The National League is effectively a professional league. We could have 5 professional divisions with 20 clubs each and break the National League up further to have north, midlands and south leagues - when Lowestoft were promoted a few years back, they had to play in the northern league, which was a real strain on resources.

Having fewer games in a league like The Championship could alleviate injuries.
Our style of play on 07:45 - Dec 29 with 6453 viewsBenters2

Our style of play on 06:28 - Dec 29 by blueislander

The surprising thing about the injuries to the midfielders is that they are not strains in the neck area.

Our style of play on 08:06 - Dec 29 with 6423 viewsHerbivore

Our style of play on 23:19 - Dec 28 by Dubtractor

"Bishop, Adeyemi and Huws have barely played any games though"

Could that be part of the issue though - to come from a layoff into the remarkably high tempo game we play must be tough?

I don't recall ever seeing a town team press as hard as the current one does. We must be horrible to try and play against!

We do play at a high tempo but then so do most sides at this level, it's why it's a tough and competitive league. I'd expect players to be able to manage more than half a game without breaking down though.

Login to get fewer ads

Our style of play on 08:25 - Dec 29 with 6409 viewsartsbossbeard

Our style of play on 00:08 - Dec 29 by Rocky

So are we too fit? Or not fit enough?
I really think this whole injury stuff has been over analysed.
There are enough sticks to beat Mick with, but the injury crisis is just one of those things that happen to every club once in a while.

Spot on.

Yesterday's conspiracy theory notions about the training regime are quite laughable really. The players at every pro footy club are finely tuned athletes with minimal body fat and structured diets and things can easily tweak/break down when something goes slightly askew when you're honed to this level.

No need to get Mulder & Scully involved.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

on 08:28 - Dec 29 with 6395 views_

Our style of play on 08:25 - Dec 29 by artsbossbeard

Spot on.

Yesterday's conspiracy theory notions about the training regime are quite laughable really. The players at every pro footy club are finely tuned athletes with minimal body fat and structured diets and things can easily tweak/break down when something goes slightly askew when you're honed to this level.

Our style of play on 09:05 - Dec 29 with 6336 viewsHerbivore

on 08:28 - Dec 29 by _

The older players aren't the ones getting injured in fairness, maybe sack off fitness work with the youngsters too.

Our style of play on 09:14 - Dec 29 with 6310 viewsgibbsm1

Spot on.

Couldn't agree more.

The people blaming either the playing style or management are totally clueless. The player won't be released/available to the manager unless the medical staff are happy with both the recovery from injury and the overall fitness.

The club invests huge amounts of time and money into the medical and fitness side of the game. They network with other clubs, sport and institutions in understanding the impact of injuries, how to prevent them and how to recover from them.

In training as a professional (I imagine) you need to work at your fitness and technique close to full tilt. The All Blacks for example are famous at training at match intensity. They say there hardest rugby games are when they are training with their second 15!

As for the style of play, yes we press, but then so do a number of other teams. We are hardly unique are we?
on 09:59 - Dec 29 with 6269 views_

Our style of play on 09:05 - Dec 29 by Herbivore

The older players aren't the ones getting injured in fairness, maybe sack off fitness work with the youngsters too.

Our style of play on 10:11 - Dec 29 with 6249 viewsDyland

Our style of play on 09:14 - Dec 29 by gibbsm1

Couldn't agree more.

The people blaming either the playing style or management are totally clueless. The player won't be released/available to the manager unless the medical staff are happy with both the recovery from injury and the overall fitness.

The club invests huge amounts of time and money into the medical and fitness side of the game. They network with other clubs, sport and institutions in understanding the impact of injuries, how to prevent them and how to recover from them.

In training as a professional (I imagine) you need to work at your fitness and technique close to full tilt. The All Blacks for example are famous at training at match intensity. They say there hardest rugby games are when they are training with their second 15!

As for the style of play, yes we press, but then so do a number of other teams. We are hardly unique are we?

"The club invests huge amounts of time and money into the medical and fitness side of the game."

Huge compared to what though, and is it enough in practical terms?

I agree it's possibly over-analysis looking at the playing style or management. That road also just leads to the inevitable McCarthy in/out polarised bore fest. However, as I've said elsewhere, we know MEG needs to make savings across the board, and does. And if we are skimping in the sports science department (compared to what we need to realistically spend here) I question my financial support.

Not gonna over-egg this one... hell, even if we are spend more than everyone else but are just getting it wrong, that's still a big issue for me. I'd love to be developing/playing a style a la Burley in the late 90s but completely understand my ST does not come with such guarantees, nor even that we win. But if the club can't guarantee we an put out a competitive team cos of injuries they should give me my fackin money back :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Our style of play on 11:01 - Dec 29 with 6211 viewsimsureazzure

Spot on.

Then the modern training methods are wrong and the previous generations methods were right, finely tuned athletes or footballers one or the other.
Our style of play on 11:15 - Dec 29 with 6180 viewsimsureazzure

Young footballers play far too much football, especially on hard ground, the ridiculous amount of 5 a side tournaments during the summer in local football is not for the benefit of the players and only does damage to growing bodies, in youth cricket there are limits on the amount of overs bowled as not to cause damage to growing bodies, I don't believe that football has anything similar.
Our style of play on 11:15 - Dec 29 with 6180 viewsJimmyJazz

Our style of play on 07:34 - Dec 29 by TLA

I think you're on to something with the number of games in such a competitive league. Fewer games might help but I know there will always be counter arguments (players playing every game etc.).

That comment did start a train of thought about a re-structure of our leagues in England.

The National League is effectively a professional league. We could have 5 professional divisions with 20 clubs each and break the National League up further to have north, midlands and south leagues - when Lowestoft were promoted a few years back, they had to play in the northern league, which was a real strain on resources.

Having fewer games in a league like The Championship could alleviate injuries.

I imagine the first league to be restructured will be the premiership, to a smaller league. There are too many WBA v Bournemouth type fixtures, which are clearly not Premiership quality

The Prem will be reduced and that will have a knock on effect on the other leagues, but I agree the Championship could do with being reduced in size. There is no need for so many Sat - Tue - Sat weeks

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Our style of play on 14:02 - Dec 29 with 6058 viewsSwansea_Blue

They're fake injuries. What's really happening is our midfield gets a lot of neck injuries. But they cover this up to save embarrassing Mick. Def info!

Always seems to be the same players, so I suspect it's a player issue rather than something more systematic.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024