Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No Googling allowed - Why is Subbuteo called Subbuteo? Interesting answer.. 09:18 - Dec 19 with 2023 viewsartsbossbeard

Go!

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

No Googling allowed - Why is Subbuteo called Subbuteo? Interesting answer.. on 09:21 - Dec 19 with 2007 viewsjjblue84

I know this...
No Googling allowed - Why is Subbuteo called Subbuteo? Interesting answer.. on 09:23 - Dec 19 with 1986 viewsWD19

It will be derived from some obscure language known by the inventor and is probably a reference to his favourite cheese or similar.
No Googling allowed - Why is Subbuteo called Subbuteo? Interesting answer.. on 09:27 - Dec 19 with 1965 viewsartsbossbeard

No Googling allowed - Why is Subbuteo called Subbuteo? Interesting answer.. on 09:23 - Dec 19 by WD19

It will be derived from some obscure language known by the inventor and is probably a reference to his favourite cheese or similar.

Close, in a not very close at all way.

The inventors wanted to call it "Hobby" (for some strange reason), however, it was viewed as too generic a term. One of the inventors was a twitcher who recognised the Latin name for the bird of prey called a Hobby is Falco Subbuteo.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

No Googling allowed - Why is Subbuteo called Subbuteo? Interesting answer.. on 09:54 - Dec 19 with 1885 viewsdryas

Falco Subuteo Subuteo is the scientific name for the Hobby. The inventor of Subuteo wanted to trademark the name Hobby but wasn't allowed to, hence Subuteo.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2018 9:54]
No Googling allowed - Why is Subbuteo called Subbuteo? Interesting answer.. on 12:15 - Dec 19 with 1671 viewsMatt_Netherlands

The game was inspired by Andy Gray and his commentary on goals such as: “ITS A BEUATY OHHH” - shortened to Subbuteo to give appeal in the European market.
No Googling allowed - Why is Subbuteo called Subbuteo? Interesting answer.. on 13:18 - Dec 19 with 1567 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yeah right, like people just happened to know that and didn't search for it!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

No Googling allowed - Why is Subbuteo called Subbuteo? Interesting answer.. on 15:30 - Dec 19 with 1434 viewsKBsSocks

No Googling allowed - Why is Subbuteo called Subbuteo? Interesting answer.. on 13:18 - Dec 19 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah right, like people just happened to know that and didn't search for it!

I knew it, too - not the Trademarking bit, but the rest.

Poll: Are Phil and Gav doing a great job re-TWTD ?
Blog: Comparison Time Again

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024