Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Roof replacement - timeframe 08:52 - Apr 30 with 1078 viewsuefacup81

A neighbour of ours is having her roof replaced (by the looks of it). Does anyone know how long this should be taking?

It's a standard Victorian mid-terrace, so doesn't have the world's biggest roof. They've been on site for about 3/4 weeks now, and only just look to have started on the front slope.

She's the kind of person who would probably get taken in by a bunch of cowboy builders, so we're a bit worried that they're taking the proverbial.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Roof replacement - timeframe on 08:58 - Apr 30 with 1049 viewsSaleAway

are you sure its just a roof replacement? Or is she having a loft conversion? Could have very different timescales.... especially if they're lowering the ceilings inside...

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Roof replacement - timeframe on 09:01 - Apr 30 with 1034 viewsuefacup81

Roof replacement - timeframe on 08:58 - Apr 30 by SaleAway

are you sure its just a roof replacement? Or is she having a loft conversion? Could have very different timescales.... especially if they're lowering the ceilings inside...

I'd say 99% sure. The age/infirmity of the neighbour would make it rather unlikely that she's after an extra set of stairs to not traverse, and there's absolutely nothing to suggest any work is going on internally.

Roof replacement - timeframe on 09:09 - Apr 30 with 1003 viewsSaleAway

Roof replacement - timeframe on 09:01 - Apr 30 by uefacup81

I'd say 99% sure. The age/infirmity of the neighbour would make it rather unlikely that she's after an extra set of stairs to not traverse, and there's absolutely nothing to suggest any work is going on internally.

Hmm... if its just new felt, battens and tiles, it shouldn't take this long - are they replacing the roof timbers too?

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Roof replacement - timeframe on 09:10 - Apr 30 with 1005 viewsWeWereZombies

Sounds like a 'hospital job', they have more lucrative work (or more demanding customers) and they are beggaring off to service those jobs whilst saving her roof for quiet times.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Roof replacement - timeframe on 09:11 - Apr 30 with 993 viewsLord_Lucan

Pat Phelan isn't doing it is he?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Roof replacement - timeframe on 09:11 - Apr 30 with 993 viewsuefacup81

Roof replacement - timeframe on 09:09 - Apr 30 by SaleAway

Hmm... if its just new felt, battens and tiles, it shouldn't take this long - are they replacing the roof timbers too?

It doesn't look like it (to my untrained eye, at least).

They've done the rear slope over the course of the last few weeks, and seem to have started the front slope this week.

I'd assume that if they were replacing the rafters/purlins etc., they'd have had to strip the entire roof in one go?

Roof replacement - timeframe on 09:13 - Apr 30 with 986 viewsLord_Lucan

Roof replacement - timeframe on 09:11 - Apr 30 by uefacup81

It doesn't look like it (to my untrained eye, at least).

They've done the rear slope over the course of the last few weeks, and seem to have started the front slope this week.

I'd assume that if they were replacing the rafters/purlins etc., they'd have had to strip the entire roof in one go?

Google says 2 - 3 weeks.

Joe is the man to ask

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Roof replacement - timeframe on 09:34 - Apr 30 with 923 viewsitfcjoe

Roof replacement - timeframe on 09:13 - Apr 30 by Lord_Lucan

Google says 2 - 3 weeks.

Joe is the man to ask

2-3 weeks is about right - but as noted above it could quite easily be a hospital job that they are fitting in around other work.

Also if any rain is forecasted for the day they won't want to be exposing it so this time of the year it may take a bit longer.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Roof replacement - timeframe on 09:55 - Apr 30 with 889 viewsGuthrum

Roof replacement - timeframe on 09:10 - Apr 30 by WeWereZombies

Sounds like a 'hospital job', they have more lucrative work (or more demanding customers) and they are beggaring off to service those jobs whilst saving her roof for quiet times.

A very common thing.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024