Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What do you want from your football club? 13:44 - May 7 with 1061 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I won't pretend I am not hugely excited about next season.

I've seen a lot of people comment on how beautiful Dozzer's goal was on Sunday, stating it wouldn't have happened last year under Mick and a lot stating that we wouldn't have been relegated either. I agree with both.

But you have to ask yourself what do you actually want from Town?

If you offered me the chance right now to go back 12 months, keep Mick and finish 12th again I wouldn't accept it. Sure, people can say Mick going was the right move and it was just Hurst that was the wrong manager and all that but let's be honest. Whoever came in we were now a small fish in a big pond.

Next year we get to be a big fish in a small pond. If Sunderland go up then I think I am right in saying we will have the biggest stadium in League One. We are also one of the only clubs to have played in Europe and the only one to have won it. We also did so in the living memory of probably 30-40% of the fans of League One clubs.

All we would have done in the Championship with our budget was tread water. We now have a chance to potentially come back up stronger, breaking free from this mindset to a point where we'd all be delighted to finish 12th in the Championship in 2 years time. We needed this to a degree.

But for all those who haven't yet got a season ticket, what do you really want? Uninspiring draws and poor performances trying to get something against teams with much bigger budgets that you have heard of? Or potentially a chance to watch Town achieve something for the first time since 2000 - almost 20 years ago.

I can't understand why any fan would want to miss that. Even if we don't win the league or don't get promoted, right now we rightly start as one of the biggest teams in a division and we haven't been in that position for 15 years!

Maybe I am on my own, but within reason I don't care what division we are in if it means winning matches, scoring goals and having something to play for.

I know an Orient fan who has had 4-5 years of misery until this year and he's over the moon happy. All they've done is get back into the League. 5 years ago they almost made the Championship. Saw him say on Facebook that he's happier now than he would have been if they'd make the Championship because of what went before it.

It's what went before our relegation that makes me excited. Years of turgid football, falling out of love with my club and dreading matchdays. I've averaged 2-3 away games a season for the last decade. I've already pencilled in 12 I am going to next season.
[Post edited 7 May 2019 14:06]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

on 13:52 - May 7 with 1018 views_

What do you want from your football club? on 14:02 - May 7 with 982 viewsFixed_It

'Careful what you wish for!'

God I hate that phrase. I'm with you brother. Things were stale at best, toxic at worst. The Club needed a re-boot, and if this is what it takes then so be it.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The problem with a "reboot" is that.... on 14:03 - May 7 with 972 viewsBloots

What do you want from your football club? on 14:02 - May 7 by Fixed_It

'Careful what you wish for!'

God I hate that phrase. I'm with you brother. Things were stale at best, toxic at worst. The Club needed a re-boot, and if this is what it takes then so be it.

....it involves switching it back on again.

So far we've just switched it off.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

What do you want from your football club? on 14:05 - May 7 with 958 viewsFtnfwest

What used to set clubs apart (not so much now) was their approach to playing the game. If that was in what you might call the 'right way' to entertain and as others have said at the same time encourage the integration of the clubs own prospects then all the better.
I've always wanted that to culminate in our being able to put any side, in whatever division we're in at the time, to the sword when we play to our potential. If at the same time there's inconsistency in overall results then so be it.
In other words probably Brentford (but with a youth set up) if you want me to nail that down to an example. Just think it's preferable to simply setting out to stop the opposition week in week out, mugging the odd team and watching your goalkeeper win player of the season year after year.
Oh, and winning the odd cup game would be nice!
The problem with a "reboot" is that.... on 14:08 - May 7 with 944 viewsFixed_It

The problem with a "reboot" is that.... on 14:03 - May 7 by Bloots

Is your glass half empty - or bone dry?
Embrace it, Bloots. It'll turn out alright. Honest.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

The problem with a "reboot" is that.... on 14:08 - May 7 with 939 viewsBlueBadger

The problem with a "reboot" is that.... on 14:03 - May 7 by Bloots

And that the bloke pressing teh buttons knows what he's doing.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Bet you had.... on 14:14 - May 7 with 907 viewsBloots

The problem with a "reboot" is that.... on 14:08 - May 7 by Fixed_It

Is your glass half empty - or bone dry?
Embrace it, Bloots. It'll turn out alright. Honest.

.....your fingers crossed when you typed that.

(and your legs obviously)

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Bet you had.... on 14:18 - May 7 with 891 viewsFixed_It

Bet you had.... on 14:14 - May 7 by Bloots

.....your fingers crossed when you typed that.

(and your legs obviously)

Of course going into the unknown brings with it some trepidation, and we will all be out of our 'comfort zone'. But that is all part of the excitement. He who dares wins. Hopefully.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024