Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it only possible to support team when winning. 10:56 - Feb 29 with 1232 viewsTerry_Nutkins

God we all love to win (I think although hard to tell on here sometimes with the glee some get from sniping at Lambert and certain players).

Genuine question though: Can we not support the team through good and bad? It was refreshing how we supported team as we went down (horrible as it was from football side). This season has been up and down but we are not dead in the water yet. We're not ruined if we dont go up in actual fact but it will be failure at the first attempt. I dont expect us not to be gutted when we lose but this place becomes so toxic and hate filled.

Its so black and white with people. Lose a few games and Lambert and Evans are a joke. At some point we have to try and build something rather than break it all up and start again. This season has fallen away a bit but its not over yet.

Does anyone want this to go the way it did with Mick? Why would we want that history to repeat itself. Hurst was a disaster. I don't think Lambert is a disaster. I think he has made mistakes. Some of own making and some just for the right reasons at least (trying to avoid the injuries of the past etc).

If nothing else we've got to have some luck soon haha. Anyway hope we have something to be happy about today. Decisions can be made at end of season.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Is it only possible to support team when winning. on 11:00 - Feb 29 with 1199 viewsBlueBadger

What about Lambert's 18 months in charge have you seen that makes you think he's still the man for the job?

He's failed to keep us up(a tough ask, but it was still possible), failed to use his 'free hit' last season to build for this season, failed to establish a pattern of play, formation and first XI and is failing to get us promoted. Hell, he's even failing to buy drinks for 'the fans' after bad results now.

This whole 'we have to back our managers' thing only works if we have the right manager in place in the first place. We didn't when we appointed him and we don't now.
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 11:04]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is it only possible to support team when winning. on 11:55 - Feb 29 with 1146 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Is it only possible to support team when winning. on 11:00 - Feb 29 by BlueBadger

What about Lambert's 18 months in charge have you seen that makes you think he's still the man for the job?

He's failed to keep us up(a tough ask, but it was still possible), failed to use his 'free hit' last season to build for this season, failed to establish a pattern of play, formation and first XI and is failing to get us promoted. Hell, he's even failing to buy drinks for 'the fans' after bad results now.

This whole 'we have to back our managers' thing only works if we have the right manager in place in the first place. We didn't when we appointed him and we don't now.
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 11:04]

I dont know if he is the man. Jury massively out. But i want us to back the team right now and all the toxic stuff (not your post) is so unhelpful.

I'm really unconvinced changing manager is going to suddenly change things. Lambert is trying to build something and being given the opportunity to do it.

We dont have a way to guarantee success right now. Evans isnt going to splurge the cash.

Lambert aside its the toxic stuff again i hate.

Is it only possible to support team when winning. on 12:22 - Feb 29 with 1119 viewsLankHenners

In general that's football - 'sing when you're winning' is pretty applicable to pretty much every club.

The way the team was supported as we went down was bizarre and largely came to lots of people who, for one reason or another, had convinced themselves that getting relegated was a good thing.

The reaction which you think is extreme is due to the reality of the situation: we're upper-mid-table in the 3rd tier of English football having been comfortably top at one point (and top once again later on) with a manager who looks increasingly out of ideas and out of his depth, backed by an owner who isn't rich enough to stay in the game and doesn't really have much of a handle on how to successfully and efficiently run a football club. Another season down here means costs cut, ticket sales dropping, star players going for well under their potential value, all very likely under the same manager who's responsible for us being in this mess in the first place.

What you have to remember is that people support the club, not any individual. And whilst not every comment or post is going to be made with clarity and thorough thought, especially immediately post-match, people just want the club to do well and are expressing dissatisfaction at those tangibly responsible for the adversity.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Is it only possible to support team when winning. on 12:51 - Feb 29 with 1067 viewsBlueBadger

Is it only possible to support team when winning. on 11:55 - Feb 29 by Terry_Nutkins

I dont know if he is the man. Jury massively out. But i want us to back the team right now and all the toxic stuff (not your post) is so unhelpful.

I'm really unconvinced changing manager is going to suddenly change things. Lambert is trying to build something and being given the opportunity to do it.

We dont have a way to guarantee success right now. Evans isnt going to splurge the cash.

Lambert aside its the toxic stuff again i hate.

There is no point in giving Lambert time. He's failing. the only thing that keeping him on will do is compound that. You might as well say we should have kept on Keane, Jewell and Hurst because they were all trying to 'build things'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is it only possible to support team when winning. on 13:41 - Feb 29 with 1024 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Is it only possible to support team when winning. on 12:22 - Feb 29 by LankHenners

In general that's football - 'sing when you're winning' is pretty applicable to pretty much every club.

The way the team was supported as we went down was bizarre and largely came to lots of people who, for one reason or another, had convinced themselves that getting relegated was a good thing.

The reaction which you think is extreme is due to the reality of the situation: we're upper-mid-table in the 3rd tier of English football having been comfortably top at one point (and top once again later on) with a manager who looks increasingly out of ideas and out of his depth, backed by an owner who isn't rich enough to stay in the game and doesn't really have much of a handle on how to successfully and efficiently run a football club. Another season down here means costs cut, ticket sales dropping, star players going for well under their potential value, all very likely under the same manager who's responsible for us being in this mess in the first place.

What you have to remember is that people support the club, not any individual. And whilst not every comment or post is going to be made with clarity and thorough thought, especially immediately post-match, people just want the club to do well and are expressing dissatisfaction at those tangibly responsible for the adversity.

I agree with most things you say here. All pretty reasoned. Those bits i dont agree with totally i still think your opinions here are just as valid as mine. There are lots of unknowns.

I definitely don't expect people to be just as happy as if we are winning. Their have to be consequences as well. What I can't accept is the personal insults and constant toxic comments regardless of comments made etc. I think Lambert has to show improvements between now and the end of the season. If he gets another shot next season (if we dont go up) then there is some pressure.

This post isnt a Lambert in post at all though. It's an anti toxic atmosphere post. It's a think before your spout off post etc.

Your reply is a great example of a constructive post outlining where you feel some faults lie. Zero issue with that.

Is it only possible to support team when winning. on 13:45 - Feb 29 with 1013 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Is it only possible to support team when winning. on 12:51 - Feb 29 by BlueBadger

There is no point in giving Lambert time. He's failing. the only thing that keeping him on will do is compound that. You might as well say we should have kept on Keane, Jewell and Hurst because they were all trying to 'build things'.

I disagree but as i say, please by no means take my post as a pro Lambert post. Jury is out as i say.

What i would say is you CAN fail before you succeed. Its clear we arent taking a throw cash at it approach. its clear we're going to look to bring through kids and develop them to supplement the squad rather than buy. That is always going to risk inconsistency in results. We may need to be patient to grow as a club rather than throw out the plan every 6,12 or even 24 months. Defo decisions to be made but in my opinion its not cut and dry on Sacking.

Is it only possible to support team when winning. on 13:54 - Feb 29 with 993 viewsDarth_Koont

Is it only possible to support team when winning. on 13:45 - Feb 29 by Terry_Nutkins

I disagree but as i say, please by no means take my post as a pro Lambert post. Jury is out as i say.

What i would say is you CAN fail before you succeed. Its clear we arent taking a throw cash at it approach. its clear we're going to look to bring through kids and develop them to supplement the squad rather than buy. That is always going to risk inconsistency in results. We may need to be patient to grow as a club rather than throw out the plan every 6,12 or even 24 months. Defo decisions to be made but in my opinion its not cut and dry on Sacking.

I agree with both of you. Badger is right with his summary of Lambert's record and you're right with your appeal to patience and support.

I think the compromise is to see if Lambert can do the unlikely and finish strongly. The team at times is capable of some good stuff so it's not impossible even if we've seen little sign of good performances being sustainable.

But I think that come season's end and we haven't gone up then we need to take a long, hard look at what's happened over the past couple of years. And arguably we still need to do that even if we do go up. Realistically, Lambert has the rest of the season to make his case for staying on.

Pronouns: He/Him

Is it only possible to support team when winning. on 13:59 - Feb 29 with 980 viewsLankHenners

Is it only possible to support team when winning. on 13:41 - Feb 29 by Terry_Nutkins

I agree with most things you say here. All pretty reasoned. Those bits i dont agree with totally i still think your opinions here are just as valid as mine. There are lots of unknowns.

I definitely don't expect people to be just as happy as if we are winning. Their have to be consequences as well. What I can't accept is the personal insults and constant toxic comments regardless of comments made etc. I think Lambert has to show improvements between now and the end of the season. If he gets another shot next season (if we dont go up) then there is some pressure.

This post isnt a Lambert in post at all though. It's an anti toxic atmosphere post. It's a think before your spout off post etc.

Your reply is a great example of a constructive post outlining where you feel some faults lie. Zero issue with that.

Lambert shouldn't even be here by now - he has to improve or the club fails. There's enormous pressure if we're in the league next season. There's pressure this season but instead of rising to it Lambert's spent the whole season making excuses for why we're failing.

It seems you're clearly against anything above mild criticism but that sort of attitude has been holding the club back for years and that's where its toxic. Standards are so low from top to bottom that we just accept where we are rather than say 'hang on a minute, this isn't good enough'.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

Is it only possible to support team when winning. on 14:53 - Feb 29 with 892 viewsSouperJim

I agree with what you're saying in principle, we do need to be patient and the toxic stuff certainly doesn't help the situation in any way. But as much as I've wanted to believe in Lambert, he's done very little on the pitch to earn our patience. One good patch over the first third of the season, at this level with the players at his disposal, is well well short of something to grab onto as a fanbase.

Top 6 is a minimum for me and if we don't achieve that, I think we need someone else in who will be given a fresh start by the fans.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024